Best Snorkeling in Nassau?

LSmith6546

We went snorkeling on Pearl Island Oct. 2005. Due to Hurricane Wilma, the water was choppy on the side of the Island where we were supposed to snorkel (where the better reefs are) so they put us on the other side of the Island where the water was calm. The snorkeling where we were wasn't that great, until a gigantic fish (Nemu) swam up beside me. He was four feet long and at least 2 feet tall. Gentle, but very curious of us. It would have been nice to have been warned that these huge fish were out there. The guide told us later that there are several more on the side we were supposed to snorkel on. It was a nice ride to Pearl Island, with a tour of homes of the rich and famous on Paradise Island.

I have booked snorkeling excursions several times with the cruise line and they were all fun. Our last time in Nassau I booked an excursion with Stuart Coves. They will pick you up near to fountain outside the customs building and transport you to their shop. You will do 3 snorkle stops, 2 at reefs and 1 with sharks. I would not hesitate to book with these guys again. Have a great time.

What Tallens said, in spades!!

Stuart's Cove is a great snorkel experience:

Nassau: “Snorkel Bahamas Adventure” is a 5-½ hour trip operated by Stuart’s Cove. The boat trip is @ three hours, and visits Schoolhouse Reef, the spectacular Golden Key Reef and finally a “swim with the sharks” at ‘The Wreck of the Bahama Mama’. I have never before witnessed such a number and variety of fish as at Golden Key. There are never-ending fish, large and small, singly and in large schools. The floor is decorated with huge, magnificent coral formations of all shapes and sizes. While there, a shark cruised past our group. He obviously thought this was his ocean and didn’t know, nor care, that we weren’t scheduled for a shark encounter until after Golden Key. Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The fact that the boat captain hadn’t lost a diver in twelve years was also encouraging. This is a five star, gold medallion, prime trip, not to be missed!

http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/

There weren't any stingrays in the water where we snorkeled, but there is an area of the Island where they have an excusion where you get in the water with the stingrays. The rays are in the ocean, but are fenced in.

The Island is very small, it takes about seven minutes to walk from one end to the other. This was my first snorkel experience and I enjoyed it very much. Having snorkeled since then in Barbados and Martinque, I have to say there is better snorkeling elsewhere, but it was a good experience for a first timer.

Just got back from Nassau and had a FANTASTIC time with Stuart's Cove. The fish were plentiful and diverse. All three stops were exciting (the shark stop was unreal!), but I really enjoyed the second stop. They took us to a site with a submerged plane that was just awesome. The guides were fun and friendly and the operation was really well organized. Watch out for the rum punch! Really! I almost slept through dinner!

Tough to find any really good beach snorkling sites. Avoid the popular beaches. Too many boats and splashing to find any fish. Want something spectacular? Try Stuart Coves shark snorkling. Pretty cool. We later did a SCUBA with the sharks. They were being fed and frenzied all around us even brushing against us. Never felt endangered but it was a thrill.

Tough to find any really good beach snorkling sites. Avoid the popular beaches. Too many boats and splashing to find any fish. Want something spectacular? Try Stuart Coves shark snorkling. Pretty cool. We later did a SCUBA with the sharks. They were being fed and frenzied all around us even brushing against us. Never felt endangered but it was a thrill.

We did Stuarts Cove and this was best ever. There were many many colorful fish and definitely buy the food as they will come right up to you including some big ones! The last stop we looked at sharks on a deep drop off and it was something everyone should do at least once. We booked this tour directly when we got to port by calling them from a brochure. I wouldnt hesitate to book in advance online directly with them. Just stand by the fountain and they will pick you up and make sure you make it back on time. When we went our ship stayed in port overnight so this wasnt a big concern.

• 1 year later...

Hi. If you don't want to go on a paid tour, you can snorkel for free at Love Beach (provided you can find a way to access the beach, the main challenge).

You can really just walk right off the beach and see fish instantly. More info at the link below, including how to get there, what you'll see, where specifically to look offshore, etc.

http://kenthompson.blogs.com/loquacious/2008/05/snorkeling-guid.html

Hi. If you don't want to go on a paid tour, you can snorkel for free at Love Beach (provided you can find a way to access the beach, the main challenge).

You can really just walk right off the beach and see fish instantly. More info at the link below, including how to get there, what you'll see, where specifically to look offshore, etc.

http://kenthompson.blogs.com/loquacious/2008/05/snorkeling-guid.html

Good blog entry, although the logistics of accessing Love Beach while on a cruise can be difficult to arrange.

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

• 1 year later...
Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The fact that the boat captain hadn’t lost a diver in twelve years was also encouraging.

The sharks there only eat two divers/snorkelers a week. By the time the boat captain takes you out on the excursion, the sharks are already full and won't bother you. :D

We are first time cruisers. Our boat (The Norwegian Sky) gets into Nassau at 8 and leaves at 6. We want to do the Stuarts Cove Snorkeling Trip, will we have time?

Excellent question..as we will also be on the same ship in October. :D

I dive with Stuart Cove every time I go to Nassau. I prefer to take the Monarch out of Port Canaveral than the NCL Sky. The cruise is same price but the port charges and parking are cheaper. You get in at 12:00 and don't leave until 11:00 so you have plenty of time do whatever you want.

terri

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been on this excursion and is it any good:confused:. Can someone please help me with this post? I'm spending a lot of money, taking 4 ppl on this excursion. I need to know if it is worth... :confused:

My wife and I are experienced snorkelers. A few years ago we booked, and paid for, an excursion to Pearl Island. I awoke early and saw the lights of Nassau in the distance. It was raining very hard and the sea was rough. We thought that the excursion would be cancelled. Not so. They took us by launch to the island. The water was rough with white caps. We got to the island. The palm trees were swaying. It started to thunder and lighting. Nobody went in the water. When we (everybody) complained they said they didn't have a launch to take us back. There was almost a riot. Fianally they got a boat to take us back. We all (about 30 people) went up to the excursion desk and we all got our money back.

• 1 month later...
I dive with Stuart Cove every time I go to Nassau. I prefer to take the Monarch out of Port Canaveral than the NCL Sky. The cruise is same price but the port charges and parking are cheaper. You get in at 12:00 and don't leave until 11:00 so you have plenty of time do whatever you want.

terri

Hi, Terri. I don't want to derail this but had a quick question for you. I am sailing in on the Carnival Sensation and you get in at 12:00 pm. Stuarts Cove says they pick up at 12:15 at the cruise terminal. Have you had a problem with the timing be this close before? I'd rather book thru them directly but am afraid we wouldn't make the shuttle. TIA Jess

Jess - I wonder the same thing... we'll be coming in on the Fascination in mid-September @ noon as well.

I've sent Stuart Cove an email to check on this - will report back if/when I hear anything.

Edited by Cheerose

Got a reply...

Thank you for giving Stuart Cove's the opportunity to assist you with your Bahamas vacation plans.

Based on the time table you have indicated for your cruise port of call, we cannot provide service and guarantee you that we can either pick you up as required or get you back to your ship prior to departure. Our morning trips would pick you up at 7:45 am (we ask that you be in position at 7:30) and have you back to your ship around 1:30 pm while our afternoon trips pick you up at 11:45 (we ask that you be in position at 11:30) and have you back to your ship around 6:00 pm.

While we appreciate you wanting to patronize Stuart Cove's, a dive operation on the north side or the cruise line contracted vendor could better meet your needs in terms of time table. As such, we would recommend you contact:

Bahama Divers Ltd.

800-398-DIVE

bahdiver@coralwave.com

www.bahamadivers.com

You may also want to check out the offerings of Flying Cloud www.flyingcloud.info.

Jess - I wonder the same thing... we'll be coming in on the Fascination in mid-September @ noon as well.

I've sent Stuart Cove an email to check on this - will report back if/when I hear anything.

I was wondering if they got back to you. I just sent them an email tonight. I hope to get an answer. If not, I'm not sure who to use instead. Do you have any ideas?

• 1 month later...
Our morning trips would pick you up at 7:45 am (we ask that you be in position at 7:30) and have you back to your ship around 1:30 pm while our afternoon trips pick you up at 11:45 (we ask that you be in position at 11:30) and have you back to your ship around 6:00 pm.

Funny I just got this reply email today.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for giving Stuart Cove's the opportunity to assist you with your Bahamas vacation plans.

If your ship is leaving at 6:00, you will be able to do our PM trip. We will pick you up at 12:15 and get you back to your ship by 5:30.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to email me again or call us on one of the numbers listed at the top of this post. We can complete this reservation entirely by email. Alternatively, you can also place reservations by calling our office, or at www.stuartcove.com. On island please call 242-362-4171. This office for advance reservations is opened Monday-Friday, 9:00-5:00 Eastern Standard Time.

I dont know if I trust they would have me back in time. Supposed to be onboard by 5:00 anyway

Edited by brianosaur

• 4 months later...
Hi, Terri. I don't want to derail this but had a quick question for you. I am sailing in on the Carnival Sensation and you get in at 12:00 pm. Stuarts Cove says they pick up at 12:15 at the cruise terminal. Have you had a problem with the timing be this close before? I'd rather book thru them directly but am afraid we wouldn't make the shuttle. TIA Jess

Have you found out any info about this? We are taking the Sensation there next week and would like to know. Thanks!

Have you found out any info about this? We are taking the Sensation there next week and would like to know. Thanks!

Sorry, I found that it would be cutting it too close. We spent the extra money and went thru the cruise line. It was okay. A little expensive, but atleast we were sure we would be back. hth Jess