Diamond Princess: Getting Ready to Cruise; More Questions!

Sailfish

I'll be departing on the Diamond Princess a week from tomorrow; I have been sorting through our clothes, packing our suitcases and trying to get as much done as possible.

As our cruise vacation fast approaches, I have a few last minute questions I hope you can help me with. Thanks in advance for your input.

Given the ship has so many restaurants, pools, lounges, etc. can you tell me your favorite?

1. Anytime Dining Room: Which is your favorite?

2. Places to relax outside; pool areas?

3. Evening venue; where did you go most often in the evening?

4. Favorite, must not miss, dinner menu item?

5. Favorite drink?

6. Must See Show?

7. Finally, what are some items you wished you had taken but forgot?

8. I have an issue with clothes right now - can't decide if I have enough cool weather clothing for the first and last days at sea. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Suzi

We just returned from the Diamond Princess Jan 27 sailing

1. Favorite anytime dining? The SAVOY is my favorite anytime dining restaurant.

2. Places to relax outside; pool areas? I loved the aft terraced pools area, as I'm a wake watcher at heart.

3. Evening venue; where did you go most often in the evening? Explorer's lounge (where they hold shows like comedy, hypnotist, juggler, etc.). Skywalkers for late at night, when everywhere else was empty.

4. Favorite, must not miss, dinner menu item? Raspberry Creme Brulee, by a mile

5. Favorite drink? Toasted Almond Martini

6. Must See Show? The hypnotist was something different and fascinating. I also liked the comedians (Princess Theater and Explorers Lounge). Illusionists and production shows aren't my cup of tea, so predictably, they were not my favorites, but were pretty good.

7. Finally, what are some items you wished you had taken but forgot? Hmmm, I don't think I forgot anything.

8. I have an issue with clothes right now - can't decide if I have enough cool weather clothing for the first and last days at sea. Any suggestions? Good luck with this one! I'm not much of a packing expert, but seemed to stay warm enough out on deck during these times, in long sleeves & pants.

Thanks!

Suzi

We just returned from the Diamond Princess Jan 27 sailing

1. Favorite anytime dining? The SAVOY is my favorite anytime dining restaurant.

2. Places to relax outside; pool areas? I loved the aft terraced pools area, as I'm a wake watcher at heart.

3. Evening venue; where did you go most often in the evening? Explorer's lounge (where they hold shows like comedy, hypnotist, juggler, etc.). Skywalkers for late at night, when everywhere else was empty.

4. Favorite, must not miss, dinner menu item? Raspberry Creme Brulee, by a mile

5. Favorite drink? Toasted Almond Martini

6. Must See Show? The hypnotist was something different and fascinating. I also liked the comedians (Princess Theater and Explorers Lounge). Illusionists and production shows aren't my cup of tea, so predictably, they were not my favorites, but were pretty good.

7. Finally, what are some items you wished you had taken but forgot? Hmmm, I don't think I forgot anything.

8. I have an issue with clothes right now - can't decide if I have enough cool weather clothing for the first and last days at sea. Any suggestions? Good luck with this one! I'm not much of a packing expert, but seemed to stay warm enough out on deck during these times, in long sleeves & pants.

Thanks!

Suzi

Thanks for the every helpful posting. We too aren't into production shows, so it's good to know there were other shows offered.

Thank you again for your advice and recommendations!

Suzi

well i'll try this again since my post blew up on me for the millionth

time this week. damn these boards anyway!

I'll be departing on the Diamond Princess a week from tomorrow; I have been sorting through our clothes, packing our suitcases and trying to get as much done as possible.

As our cruise vacation fast approaches, I have a few last minute questions I hope you can help me with. Thanks in advance for your input.

Given the ship has so many restaurants, pools, lounges, etc. can you tell me your favorite?

1. Anytime Dining Room: Which is your favorite?

Santa Fe. Savoy is dark like a traditional steakhouse,

Vivaldi doesn't open until 8 p.m. and Pacific Moon is elegant yet boring.

Santa Fe is very festive, but is usually the most crowded for some

reason.

2. Places to relax outside; pool areas?

Aft pool. Like the chairs that are downstairs that face directly aft;

very private alcove

3. Evening venue; where did you go most often in the evening?

Hot tubs and buffet.

4. Favorite, must not miss, dinner menu item?

Any pasta dish Princess does well. Also, for dessert I loved this

peach thing with marzipan and it came with ice cream.

The Love Boat Dream is everybody's favorite except mine because

I'm not wild about chocolate.

5. Favorite drink?

Appletini and Cranberry-tini

6. Must See Show?

Any of the hypnotism shows are a hoot.

7. Finally, what are some items you wished you had taken but forgot?

A lightweight jacket or shawl for the evening because the air

conditioning can be very cold.

8. I have an issue with clothes right now - can't decide if I have enough cool weather clothing for the first and last days at sea. Any suggestions?

Take half of what you think you'll need since there are laundromats on

board. I live in my jogging suit for the first two days, then my swimsuit

and beach coverup for the rest of the trip and a couple pairs of

shorts while in town.

Thanks!

Suzi

I agree with the previous poster. Bring a jogging suit. Last year we cruised to Quebec so I was prepared for some cooler weather and I brought 4 jogging suits that I basically lived in for the 11 days. You won't need that many but for your cooler days they will be perfect. enjoy.

Good thing you're not leaving tomorrow. Suppose to rain here in LA.

So, what is the long range forecast for LA this week? Feb last year was cold and rainy - hope it will be nicer this time around!

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments. I am almost done with my packing. We will be driving down very early Saturday morning - I would hate to drive down again in the rain!!

Thank you again for your input!

Suzi

Archived