Tour w/ship or on our own...

rabelgirls

I am trying to decide if we should book with the ship or book with a local company to do an excursion. I have read many times over that we should do our own without using the ships services. However, my question is it will be me and my daughter (10) and how safe are the island tour guides and we will be safe using one of them verses the ship? I don't know of anyone else who has used an on island tour guide. I want us to be safe but have a great time and save a little money over the ships prices. Any help would be great!!

We booked a tour with Nativeways back in 05'. I have booked again with them, for this May. We had a great time with them, and always felt safe. We never felt we had to keep track of time (although of course we'd check). never felt rushed. But the best thing for us about booking independently was not being on a boat with dozens and dozens of people. We had only 4 total on our boat (we did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point) so we had alot of stingrays to ourselves.

I would just do your research, read reviews, and that way you find the best tour operator for your needs. Just remember that if you book with the ship and your tour gets delayed, they (the ship) are supposed to wait for you. However if you book on your own, they will not wait if you don't make it back on time. However, local tour operators know the times they are working with, and know that if they don't get you back on time, their business might suffer due to word of mouth.

If you're going to skip the ship-run excursions and branch out on your own for the first time, Grand Cayman is a good place to do it. (On some islands, it's not a good idea to go off on your own.) It's a really safe island, and there are only a limited number of roads so it's hard to get lost. Most of the tour operators are very used to doing excursions for cruise ship passengers, so they're usually very good about getting you back to the ship in plenty of time.

I'd suggest doing some searches online for the types of excursions you're interested in, then do some searches here on CC for the tour operators you're interested in. You're bound to find lots of reviews and other helpful information that way.

I am a single mom of a now 10 year old and we've been on a dozen cruises in the last three years, so here's my rule of thumb: 1) ensure it is a reputable private company via the CC threads, there are plenty of names of guides or groups that keep coming up, 2) ensure that when you venture out on a non-cruise ship excursion that you have about one extra hour of "cushion" time on the back end so that there is no worry about getting back to the ship on time.

We NEVER go with the cruise line. I have planned in advance as well as just "winged it." I have managed to walk off of the ship in San Jaun and hop on a tour for $15 for me (free for child) because the bus was leaving and the extra $ was just a bonus for the driver.. (It would have been $33 pp on the cruise.), hop on a boat in St. Thomas heading to St. John for 1/4 of the price the cruiseline charged, etc. That's for the adventurous, however, but there is plenty that you can pre-arrange with reputable tour guides & groups, saving about 20% off cruise line fares (since they need to get a cut.)

We have not done Tulum yet on our Cozumel trip and that's one that I would ONLY do with the cruise line... if our little bus breaks down on the road back (it's a long ride) I'd want the ship to wait for us.

Have fun & enjoy exposing your child to the world!:)

Thanks for the replies. I have emailed David & Ivan for a trip to the ruins in Costa Maya. I am still looking into Grand Cayman and Jamaca. However, we are leaving in one week.

Thanks for your input Morgsmom, I am glad you responded. It makes me feel a little better coming from a single mom who travels with her child.

Thanks Hcat, we should be fine (I hope!!). Excursion only lasts 4 hours and we are in port for 8 hrs, and our trip to Stingray City is at 9am (I think).

I have emailed Ivan & David for our excursion at Costa Maya. I emailed Nativeway about an excursion on Grand Cayman and have confirmed ressies for Marva Shaw at Ochos Rios.

I hope all goes well. Fingers are crossed!!

Archived