Question for you PRO CRUISERS from newbies

mprucha

Hey all,

We're sailing May 11th from NY on the Miracle and have been doing research about the ship and various people's reviews and of course their are like a million suggestions out there about these S&S cards. What I'm hearing most is that 1)never use a debit card 2) take a credit card if you are comfortable with that 3) use cash or travel checks for the card if this makes you happier or feel safer and 4) don't try using a combo of things because it gets all screwed up.

We're new to cruising and have a suite with a balcony booked but are well familiar with NY city because hubby is a native but are open to any and all tips, hints, recommendations about the MIRACLE or about CRUISING IN GENERAL or about THINGS TO DO in the eastern carib. ports from all you CRUISE PRO'S OUT THERE!

COME ON ALL YOU PRO'S!! Give us some great advice!!

Anne & family

The simplest and easiest way to setup your onboard account is to use a credit card. You will read alot about buying funship dollars or using cash etc. and you can do this but it only complicates matters. The people who put themselves through these contortions say that it makes it easier for them to budget/save. If you need such gimmicks np...jump through all the hoops you like. :)

I would suggest bringing what you plan to use for gambling in cash. You can buy chips or slot credit on your shipboard account but you will be charged a 3% commission. I would also suggest bringing a pack of $50 singles. One dollar bills are very handy for tipping and for paying as close to exact change in stores or for cab fare etc. In many ports you will only receive change in local currency so having close to exact change minimizes this effect. You can also bring travelers checks and cash them on the ship or just bring spending money in cash. You will have a small safe for valuables in your cabin.

You got yourself a great cabin on a Wonderful ship....just go and enjoy. Only problem I see is that you spoiled yourself with the balc AND the Miracle for your first. I was home for a week before I was booked to go back!!! I LOVE THIS SHIP!!! Go to my screen name with no space and a dot com;) .....some things you might like:D

Archived