South Beach - food and things to do

serendipity16

My friends and I are going to South Beach, Miami the day before we board our cruise. We are all college students, most are 21, a few are 20. I just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on where to eat for dinner. The one place we thought about was Larios, the Cuban restaurant owned by Gloria Estefan. Has any one been there? Are there any other restaurants others would suggest to go to around Sobe and what's their price range?

We also want to go out later that night. Not sure if anyone here has experience with the clubs. Since there are some of us that are under 21, we know that will be a problem. We'll be there on a Sunday night and after reading some reviews, it seems like Nikki Beach Club is very popular on Sundays.

Looking for any advice that anyone can provide!

My friends and I are going to South Beach, Miami the day before we board our cruise. We are all college students, most are 21, a few are 20. I just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on where to eat for dinner. The one place we thought about was Larios, the Cuban restaurant owned by Gloria Estefan. Has any one been there? Are there any other restaurants others would suggest to go to around Sobe and what's their price range?

We also want to go out later that night. Not sure if anyone here has experience with the clubs. Since there are some of us that are under 21, we know that will be a problem. We'll be there on a Sunday night and after reading some reviews, it seems like Nikki Beach Club is very popular on Sundays.

Looking for any advice that anyone can provide!

Hi: I think I may be of help. Live here in Miami and very much part of the Miami club scene :) Lario's is a cool fun place to eat. the Cuban food is really good. But there are so many choices to eat on the beach. Just walking up and down Lincoln Road Mall you will see everything from Italian to Sushi to American and Latin cuisine. Lincoln Road Mall is also a fun place to shop at and just hang out in the different bars and lounges. Beware: Most restaurants on the beach are very pricey!! But its worth it...There are so many places to choose from: Emril's, Tantra, Nobu, News Cafe (good place for a lunch or brakfast), Prime 112, etc...

They are very strict about age here on the beach unless of course you have a hookup and can get in without a problem. Some of the cool places to go too if you manage to get in is The Fifth, Glas @ The Forge, Mansion. Also what you may want to do is head over to Lincoln Road Mall and hang out at one of the many lounges...get there early for dinner and stay for the rest of the night...that way you won't be carded and by the time they start carding you are already inside. Two of my favorite places: Funkshion (I just had my bday celebration there last week) and Cafeteria. BTW - Dinner @ Funkshion is REALLY good!! I had dinner there first and then stayed for drinks at the bar and the place was PACKED. at some point they had an impromptu modeling show on the bar.

Nikki Beach is an awesome place to hang out in the day in your bikini as well as in the night after spending the day at the beach. Very good choice!

Wow, thanks for the great and fast response! So I'm guessing all the places you listed are all 21 and up? Are there any that you know of that is 18+?

What kind of food does Funkshion have? We've been thinking about Larios because we want to try Cuban/Latin food.

When do you think these restaurants/lounges start carding? If we eat dinner around 6 or 7, I don't know if we can stay there for that long! lol I know that Nikki Beach serves food too so do you think we can go there for dinner and then just stay for the night?

Thanks so much for your help!

Wow, thanks for the great and fast response! So I'm guessing all the places you listed are all 21 and up? Are there any that you know of that is 18+?

What kind of food does Funkshion have? We've been thinking about Larios because we want to try Cuban/Latin food.

When do you think these restaurants/lounges start carding? If we eat dinner around 6 or 7, I don't know if we can stay there for that long! lol I know that Nikki Beach serves food too so do you think we can go there for dinner and then just stay for the night?

Thanks so much for your help!

You can get to the lounges around 9PM which is what I did and by the time you finish eating just get up and walk over to the bar. Iknow for a fact the clubs I mentioned are over 21....I myself jsut turned 30 so I really don't pay attention to that anymore....ANother good club is Amika....but I think you can call them and find out. If not there are also some clubs in the up and coming downtown area that are VERy popular as well. Space and Nocturnal are two of them. When you get here call the clubs and find out what the age limits are.

http://www.thefifth.com/main.htm

http://miami.citysearch.com/profile/2506694/miami_beach_fl/glass_at_the_forge.html

http://www.amikamiami.com/

http://www.cooljunkie.com/miami/cafeteria_venue_cafeteria_miami_8443.html

http://www.mansionmiami.com/

http://www.opiummiami.com/

http://www.cooljunkie.com/bars/cafeteria_lounge_location_miami_204.html

!

Miami Beach has a law that prohibits anyone under the age of 21 from entering a bar so your friends will not able to go in with you. They are very strict about this because they can lose their liquor license.

My suggestion would be the Lobby (The Rose Bar) at the Delano before things start cranking up and before they start IDing. Somewhere around 9PM. You'll be early but at least you'll get in.

Forget Nicki Beach, Mansion, Mokai, Sky Bar or any of the clubs. They will ID.

You can always have a late dinner at BED and just stay but it will be very expensive. Bottle service only for the beds after 10PM which starts at around $275 a bottle.

Has anyone been to Puerto Sagua? We really want to eat some Cuban food and from reading some reviews, that place seems to be cheap and good. I was thinking about going there for lunch.

After reading the suggestions, I think we might eat a late dinner at Funkshion. If we get there around 9, do you think they might ID us later on the night to make sure we're 21?

Oh yea, we'll be there on a Sunday night.

After reading the suggestions, I think we might eat a late dinner at Funkshion. If we get there around 9, do you think they might ID us later on the night to make sure we're 21?

Oh yea, we'll be there on a Sunday night.

Not at all....I got to Funksion last Saturday at 9PM exactly to eat dinner and when we finished eating dinner we payed and moved over to the bar. There was no ID'ing - once you are in you are in - don't worry.

Not at all....I got to Funksion last Saturday at 9PM exactly to eat dinner and when we finished eating dinner we payed and moved over to the bar. There was no ID'ing - once you are in you are in - don't worry.

Wow, you are fast! Do you know how Funkshion is on Sundays? I realized it won't be as packed as Fridays and Saturdays...

Wow, you are fast! Do you know how Funkshion is on Sundays? I realized it won't be as packed as Fridays and Saturdays...

:) I've never really been there on Sunday. You know, you may also want to check out Cafeteria...another lounge on the opposite end of Lincoln Road Mall for a little variety...

You guys can go to Space. Ladies over 18 get in and guys are 21. Its not the beach, but its in up and coming trendy downtown and it is one of the most popular clubs here in Miami.

For some reason, only Miami Beach has the 21 and over law for bars. It is not the case in Miami.

For some reason, only Miami Beach has the 21 and over law for bars. It is not the case in Miami.

Not true...there are still a lot of places in the downtown area that is 21 and even 23 and over for girls. I belive SPace is the only place that allows 18 and over.

Not true...there are still a lot of places in the downtown area that is 21 and even 23 and over for girls. I belive SPace is the only place that allows 18 and over.

I was talking about the law not what the individual bars do. At least as far as I know Miami Beach has only passed a law requiring persons to be over 21 years old to enter. As of a couple of months ago, Miami had not.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys can go to Space. Ladies over 18 get in and guys are 21. Its not the beach, but its in up and coming trendy downtown and it is one of the most popular clubs here in Miami.

Why would they allow women over 18 but guys need to be 21?? I guess I don't understand that????

Just curious.

Maggie

For those of you who live in the area, we will be in town for St. Patrick's Day. Do you know of anything special going on that night? We are also interested in the Miami Beach or Bayside area. Thanks!

Miami experts - just booked a last minute cruise out of Miami. Trying to find a SB hotel for the weekend of 3/24-3/26. Saturday night is the issue with spring break and a big tennis event. The Starlite has rooms for both nights. Know this isn't the Ritz and have read the reviews on expedia and trip advisor. I just want to be we are not making a mistake if we book it. We've stayed on SB a few years ago so I know that most hotels within the average person's price range are not the best. The draw is that the Starlite is right within walking distance of everything but want to be able to sleep too since I assume things will be hopping with spring breakers.

Any advice is appreciated!

Also, how much for a cab from the airport to SB? $32?

Miami experts - just booked a last minute cruise out of Miami. Trying to find a SB hotel for the weekend of 3/24-3/26. Saturday night is the issue with spring break and a big tennis event. The Starlite has rooms for both nights. Know this isn't the Ritz and have read the reviews on expedia and trip advisor. I just want to be we are not making a mistake if we book it. We've stayed on SB a few years ago so I know that most hotels within the average person's price range are not the best. The draw is that the Starlite is right within walking distance of everything but want to be able to sleep too since I assume things will be hopping with spring breakers.

Any advice is appreciated!

Also, how much for a cab from the airport to SB? $32?

It is $32 for a cab from MIA to SB. I already looked that up. Just wondering how much it is from SB to the port.

Archived