2007 world cruise..poor food

phoenix5419

Having seen lots of posts of folk trying to get on 2007 trip.. you'll be pleased to know that you have not missed the restaurant food!! My partner is on 3 months sector.. so disappointed with the quality of food "if this was an hotel would have checked out long ago". So sad as she only uses Silverseas and this was supposed to be her swansong! BBQs and poolside meals are great..reckon there could be a mutiny if the management do not listen!!:(

I had the same experience with the food when I was on the Shadow in May of last year in Asia. Repetetive menus with uninspired choices, long waits for service in the restaurant, and inedible food in La Terraza. I too had been on many SS cruises and this was the first time I had been so disappointed. I was hoping they had resolved that problem since I am giving them another chance on the Cloud this August. If not, this will be my last cruise with them as well.

I'd like to know where this person eats in the UK. Also, this SO is in the significant minority. Tell her to talk with Antonio or Richard about the food. The solution is standing 2 inches away, not 6000 miles. There are plenty of people on this cruise that will never be happy. For whatever reason, they are the same people that will book another cruise with SS before end of trip. Go figure.

Our experience on Shadow in December was just the opposite [with one exception concerning service, not quality of food in La Terrazza.]

You can check out my multi-part review in this forum for the 12/12/2006 cruise out of Barbados. There are many comparisons with our six Celebrity cruises with our very first cruise on Shadow. My DW is a gourmet cook, and had only great praise for the quality of food and selection on our Shadow cruise.

Perhaps the pax who shelled out megabucks for the Round The World Cruise arrived with higher expectations, because of the itinerary and the cost. On the same day, lunch and dinner, I had the best meals that I have ever had on a cruise. The cusine on our cruise was much superior to what we have been served on Celebrity on our last three cruises on that line.

We have to remember that opinions concerning food is very very subjective. On our cruise, we did not hear anything but praises - and we did talk to quite a few people - naturally in The Bar before dinner :D.

I agree that opinions about food are subjective. What pleases one person will not always please another. However, I had been on six silversea cruises beginning in June 1994 before the one last May on the Shadow. On each of them the food was delicious, the menus interesting and creative and the service expemplary. Reading the menu last May I thought I was on a Royal Carribean ship. Standard catering hall choices and the taste and service matched it. My one dinner in La Terraza was oversauced and underflavored. I had made three reservations there and promptly cancelled the other two. So was it me who changed? No. I boarded the ship with the same high expectations I had always had. It was Silversea that had changed. I fervently hope they are doing something about this since I loved Silversea as evidenced by my frequent repeat business, and I am trying them once again because I so want to keep them as an option for my travels. But they have to do better. Take the money they are paying Isabella Rossellini for that silly advertising campaign and invest it in the kitchens.

With 300 or more people on a cruise ship it is hardly possible to please everyone. I've been more then 400 days on Silversea ships and always someone complained and others praised. How do you want to please the taste of so many different people. Every country cooks in a different style, uses different herbs or spices. So I am not worried at all if I hear one or two bad comments about the food. I will anyway be back with Silversea soon.

We returned from our 4 th. Mariner (Regent) to the Amazon. This was the first time of 4 other voyages with Voyager as well, that we found the food to be not up to the usual standards. Oh! it was very good, comparitively speaking, but the menu stayed mostly the same with slightly different variations.

We are leaving in May for our 2nd. Wind ! We had no complaints of any kind following Shadow and Wind. In fact, there were only a few subtle though positive differences between SS and Regent.

We enjoy the small portions presented since we are not 'big eaters' ,and because we will be in Med. ports, it seems as though the food menus will be slightly better than those in the Caribbean or S.American ports.

Everyone's tasetes are different - thank goodness !! This may be one reason for the food quality as expressed by the above cruisers.

Charlie

Thanks for sharing your comments..my dearest has only ever been on SS and her expectations are driven only by previous experiences! She is a soul who can do camping thru to 6 star... Seems that someone has listened as situation has improved over last two days after considerable representation. In the past I have always been stunned by her tales of food but has been a departure from previuos standards. Did you read post by Dollymadison.. seems there was big crew change in FL before start and new CD too. Fingers crossed it is only up from here.

Charlie

Thanks for sharing your comments..my dearest has only ever been on SS and her expectations are driven only by previous experiences! She is a soul who can do camping thru to 6 star... Seems that someone has listened as situation has improved over last two days after considerable representation. In the past I have always been stunned by her tales of food but has been a departure from previous standards. Did you read post by Dollymadison.. seems there was big crew change in FL before start and new CD too. Fingers crossed it is only up from here.

Phoenix you are welcome. Since it was our first SS cruise, we could only compare it with six Celebrity cruises.

I believe that Dolly was on the last Shadow cruise before the start of the World Cruise. It is my understanding that SS had some elaborate greeting for the world cruisers and that may have led to shoving all the pax off at the same time. Just the opposite happened on our cruise several before Dolly's cruise. It was somewhat funny, because when we exited our Silver Suite on Deck 7 to go to The Bar and await our turn, the crew was removing all of the mattresses from that deck and taking them off the vessel! Our disembarkation was probably the easiest one that we have ever had.

Archived