Rental Car or Capt Zodiac in Kona?

debinnh

We are in Kona for one day. We were going to rent a car and hit up one or two coffee plantations then drive the coast stopping at the black sand beach and the green sand beach.

Then we read how great the snorkeling is at Capt Cooks, but you have to get there by boat.

Now I have to decide. Which would you do and why? Keep in mind that we are going to Bonaire and Aruba in Nov and feel we can snorkle there, but can't see the black and green beaches or visit coffee plantations, so that is how we are leaning.

We are in Kona for one day. We were going to rent a car and hit up one or two coffee plantations then drive the coast stopping at the black sand beach and the green sand beach.

Then we read how great the snorkeling is at Capt Cooks, but you have to get there by boat.

Now I have to decide. Which would you do and why? Keep in mind that we are going to Bonaire and Aruba in Nov and feel we can snorkle there, but can't see the black and green beaches or visit coffee plantations, so that is how we are leaning.

Rent a car and snorkel on your own, you can rent snorkel equipment on the boat or at several beach locations on the Kohala Coast. We rented a convertible for Kona from www.thrifty.com for $44.40 for 1 day ($52.12 w/taxes). We are driving to Waikola for swimming and snorkeling for the day.

I just wanted to ask if you're talking about the green sand beach that's east of south point. If so, I wanted to make sure you know that you either need a jeep or other 4-w/d vehicle to drive in or hike 2+ miles each way from the nearest place to park. I'm not trying to discourage you; in fact, South Point itself is is really cool (and very, very windy). I just want to make sure that you're planning your day taking into account the time required to get to the green sand beach.

Punalu'u Black Sand Beach is beautiful (and has easy access).

You could easily snorkel on your own at Kahalu'u or Honaunau, both south of Kona. Honaunau has some really excellent snorkeling if conditions are good.

You would have to take an excursion (boat, zodiac, or kayak) to get to Kealakekua Bay. As you mention, you are doing snorkeling elsewhere later this year. Either way, you can't go wrong. You could combine some Kona coffee tastings, stop for a bit at Honaunau for a snorkel, and then head to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach. If time permits, you could drive to South Point and hike to the green sand beach, but if you do that, you'd almost certainly need to skip Honaunau and limit your Kona tasting time or skip Punalu'u.

beachchick

Beachchick:

Thanks, yes I was talking about that green sand beach. I'm surprised it would take that long out of my day. Maybe I'll have to save that one for another trip!

DH and I are still debating this one. We are renting cars in every port and are thinking having one day not driving wouldn't be a bad thing, but where else but Kona can we do Kona coffee tasting and see a black sand beach?

Decisions decisions! Good thing I still have time to stress over how to relax on my vacation!

We are just back from the PoAl. We did the black sand beach on our Hilo day. Saw the volcano, and kept going a bit further to Punalu'u. Lots of turtles on the beach the day we were there.

On our Kona day, we rented a car through NCL, so we were shuttled to the airport rental location, north of Kona. We had decided to do beaches that day, and am I glad we did! Hapuna Beach is probably the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I don't know how the snokelling is as it was a bit rough, but playing in the surf was a blast. We also stopped at A Bay on the way back, and it was no where near as nice as Hapuna.

Beachchick:

Thanks, yes I was talking about that green sand beach. I'm surprised it would take that long out of my day. Maybe I'll have to save that one for another trip!

DH and I are still debating this one. We are renting cars in every port and are thinking having one day not driving wouldn't be a bad thing, but where else but Kona can we do Kona coffee tasting and see a black sand beach?

Decisions decisions! Good thing I still have time to stress over how to relax on my vacation!

Here are a few links that might help you decide

http://volcanogallery.com/Places-GreenSand.htm

http://www.andhawaii.com/big-island/green_sand_beach.html

http://www.hawaiianstyletravel.com/BigIslandGuide/Guide261.htm

This is a really good site (with map) for Kona coffee tasting:

http://www.konacoffeefest.com/drivingtour.html

And not that you asked my opinion, but I'm a big buttinsky anyway: Rent a car, drive to Kahalu'u and/or Honaunau (our preference is Honaunau, esp if you are experienced snorkelers) and do some snorkeling, do some Kona coffee tasting on the way to and after Honaunau (choose no more than six places for tasting; after that, it just gets to be a bit much and uses too much of your day, IMO), then drive down to Punalu'u, which is beautiful. (Just in case you don't already know this, please do not take sand from the beaches. It is kapu, which means forbidden, because it is precious and sacred.)

That's pretty much the entire day. Be sure to leave time to get back to Kona. Traffic into Kona can get really, really busy in the mid to late afternoon.

As for the green sand beach, well gosh...you're just going to have to plan another trip. How tragic!:D (I live my life with the belief that there will always be a "next" trip to Hawaii.)

beachchick

Archived