What to buy while in Panama?

Keisele

Not sure where the best shopping area is since you are not going into the canal. I know for our trip there is a shopping area right at the pier area at the Cristobel Pier

I can tell you something great to buy though they are hand carved tortuga (sp) nuts. The Emberra Indians carve the nut into mostly animals and paint them. I have only seen pictures but they look spectacular and I love handmade crafts.

We bought tagua nut carvings as well...they are really neat, and not all that expensive (plus small and easy to pack). We also bought some baskets and cloth molas made by the Embera people, as well as coffee beans...

The best Embera Indian crafts could be found on the small stands just before we re-boarded the boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We were in Panama in December. Don't know about the Indian craft but the deals inside the market were nothing special. Prices on the ship were equivalent and on somethings better. Just more selection at the port.

Enjoy your trip - the canal is definitely worth a look.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

:D We were just in Colon on 3-24. We did a Mario tour, cl003, which was very good. If you are interested in a day of power shopping, you can take a $2 cab ride to duty free shopping area called the "free zone". It is 8 city blocks. We did not have time to go there, but heard great things about this shopping area from our waiter & tour guide. Everything from shoes to electronics & everything in between. Your ship waiters can tell you all about it. This is the ship's staff favorite port for shopping. If we every go back, we will spend the day there.

Archived