glacier bay from the pearl courtyard villas

becauseisaid

Our family of 5 will be in a courtyard villa in july on the pearl. We have only been on a cruise in alaska once and that time we did not do the excursion where you take the smaller boat and get really close to the glacier and all of the "action". I regretted that, but on the other hand a suite with a front and a side balcony with our butler constantly surprising us with hot chocolate and snacks, made for an incredible experience also. so--here are my questions/choices:

1. We sail to glacier bay on thursday. it does not list any other stops that day , so what part of the day do we sail through the glaciers? and will the "little boat" then pick people up for thier excursion while the ship is "parked" as they get ready to sail through the glaciers??

2. Should we stay on the ship and watch the glaciers go by from our own balcony (on the right side of the ship--I forgot the real term for right!!)

or

3. stay on the ship and find out if there is a special viewing lounge for coutyard passengers????

or

4. leave the ship and take the excursion to get closer to the glacier???

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the tour you are thinking of is for sawyer glacier, not glacier bay. the only ones that get on /off the ship for glacier bay is the park rangers. at least last year that was how it was. you will get the best views on the port side (Left) or at the forward viewing areas. the ship does turn and pause. but you get the views appoarching and a longer pause on the port side.

the park rangers get on the ship about 6am (that's when they boarded our ship last year). they start doing their boardcast (over the speakers and the tv) between 9am and 10. by about noon we were leaving the bay. as i said, this is just app from what the star did on the same route last sept.

2. Should we stay on the ship and watch the glaciers go by from our own balcony (on the right side of the ship--I forgot the real term for right!!)

quote]

A way to remember ship terms...Port (left side facing front) four letters for left and four letters for port.

Starboard (facing front) is the right side of the ship.

Never sailed Alaska but heard it is wonderful:)

Archived