Molokini Crater Snorkel Question

LokiGB

We were planning to book a snorkel tour to Molokini Crater March 15th, but tonight I saw that the Pride of Hawaii doesn't start booking this tour until April 30th. I'm now wondering if the reason might be because the water is cold and the weather is too unpredictable at this time of year.

Does anyone know? Would you book that tour this time of year?

Whatever reason POH has for not offering a molokini excursion in April has nothing to do with weather or water temps. I've been out to Molokini in January and March, and there isn't much variance in water temp (a few degrees, if that) in that time. It is a bit cooler in the ocean at Molokini than the beaches, but that's year 'round. The weather in April in Hawaii might be a bit wetter in some places on the windward side of some islands, but it really can't be that either.

If you want to go out there - it IS fun - the only caveat I'd have is to schedule a morning excursion. They leave from Maalaea at 7 AM usually, so you'll have to figure out getting there. The sea is almost inevitably smoother in the morning than afternoon. Enjoy.

We are also looking into that tour,but I do have one question.Is there a shallow area or beach area available so one can rest in between snorkling?

I haven't been there yet myself (plan to Memorial Day week) but everything I have read says that it is a protected area and you cannot get on the land at all. You will have to go back to your tour boat for rest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

Just as a warning, I am leaving tomorrow for our cruise. I had booked the Molokoni Tour back in January and just received a cancellation notice this week. No explanation as to why!

We have been having very strong winds. That may be the reason.

The "Pride of America" broke her bow mooring lines on Monday, and had to be pushed back to the pier by a tug. That's how strong the winds are right now.

<<Is there a shallow area or beach area available so one can rest in between snorkling?>>

I haven't been on the tour yet, but I would think that they might have life jackets available or some flotation and also the boats are so large that I would think you could easily rest on the boat between swims.

Hope someone who has been - Beachchick where are you - will post.

My family and I were in Maui this last summer and found that the Molokini snorkle was a dissapointment. We have been multiple times going back over 20 years. Lots of the coral was gone and few fish. The tour operator said that since they stopped allowing feeding of the fish the population is changing with the more aggressive fish having left, and he expected this it would take a while to get back to what is was. Try for some of the other trips - Lanai is really fun or some of the trips that hit multiple spots.

Dave

We are also looking into that tour,but I do have one question.Is there a shallow area or beach area available so one can rest in between snorkling?

Aloha. No, Molokini is a collapsed cinder cone (I think that's right) and has no beach, no areas shallow enough for resting (and even if it did, you'd be standing on coral which is a big no-no because it damages and kills the coral). The information you've gotten about having to get back on the boat to rest or have a snack/beverage (non alcohol while snorkeling please) or just hang out for a while is correct. Some of the boats have plenty of lounging areas, so that's not really an issue.

Although Molokini isn't the absolute best snorkeling in the world, it can be very good when the conditions are good. Go in the morning only before the wind and water conditions make it often impossible for boats to even get there, much less have good snorkeling.

I'm glad that feeding the fish is no longer allowed. We've actually never been out there with any company except Maui Dive Shop and they never fed the fish on any of our trips. It wouldn't even occur to me to feed them.

beachchick

MikeKaye,

My wife and I are going on the Sept. 29th POAL cruise. I think you are going on the same cruise. What do you think of the Molokini Crater trip through NCL? We had planned on doing this excursion. Are there better places? I know at one time the travel channel had rated this spot one of the top ten places to snorkle. Any thoughts. Thanks.

We just finished our PofAM cruise on Feb 17. Were at Molokini on Feb. 13. There were a reasonable number of fish, but the HUGE bonus was the number of whales in the area and being able to hear them sing. Depending on how much snorkelling you have done, Molokini may be a thrill or a let down. After snorkelling coral reefs in the Bahamas that can only be accessed by private boat, little else can compare, but for new snorkellers, Molokini is great. Have fun!

Wow! Sailing to the Molokini Crater, snorkeling and seeing some coral and fish sounds great - but hearing there might also be a chance to also see (and hear) some whales sounds fantastic! Thanks Ishamael for your post!

Archived