Poll: Do you take your kid's out of school...

Bahamma mamma

nagster - not sure if you have kids or not, but who are you to tell people they are selfish and not responsible. Everyone has different opinions and different situations in their lives. Don't judge! Most people I know work for a living and don't have all the vacations and holidays that their children have during the school year so some have to take vacation when they can. Also, most people who said they take their kids out of school never mentioned doing it for cheaper prices!! 95% of the people I know have "time sensitive" choices for vacation. Most people who work with others vacation is by seniority. I've worked in the construction field for 10 yrs. and most employers would rather you take vacation during the winter months when business is slower. So yes, most employment is time sensitive. I don't think people are taking their kids out of school for vacation to make life hell. I think they do it because they have no other choice most of the time.

My family takes at least two vacations a year. My husnand and I only get 2 weeks off work per year. We always go somewhere during Spring Break when the kids are out of school. Our other vacation usually ends up being during the school year. We take our kids (ages 8 and 6) out of school. We always have a conference with the kids' teachers and principal and get permission beforehand. We gather the make up work and have it done by the time we leave for vacation. We've never had any problems so far. When the kids get older we'll have to see how things go.

Lora

LOL. I never would have guessed this as such a hot button issue.

I took my son out of school for a week in Sept 2005 for a trip to an all-inclusive, then again in Sept 2006 for a cruise. Both times worked out just fine - school and teacher worked with me because I gave plenty of notice and my son continued to make his excellent grades.

To the OP - if you are considering this, just be sure to give the teacher plenty of notice, and then be sure to fill out the necessary paperwork with the school, also with plenty of notice. The attendance officer/dean always asked if I had already okayed with the teacher, and as I had, did not have a problem. You and the teacher together will know if your child is in a position to be able to handle the missed work without undue stress.

Yes we take our children out of school not for days, but weeks. I never book anything til i have discussed this fully with their teachers and everytime they have encouraged us to go ahead with our plans. They give them extra work prior to leaving, and homework to do while they are away, we always make sure that we give them the time to get the work done. The lessons they learn and experiences they have are far greater and only benefit and support their education. For example, June we are doing a med cruise, my son is studing Roman history this year and volcanos, and what better to see these sites in person then to read about them in a book. Travel is an education in itself. However now that the oldest is heading into Highschool this will be the last time we take them out of school. All of our family holidays for the next 10 years or so will be taken during vacation time, it would be unfair to expect them to catch up on that amount of work during these years.

Yes, we take our kids out of school for a week at a time.

Rates may have something to do with our timing.

We don't apologize or grovel with their teachers.

Kids are expected to get their work done, just as we have to make sure our "work" is covered for the week we are gone.

Never had a problem with anyone being rude on the ship because the kids were on board during an "off" break time.

Happy families are flexible families. Most divorces we've witnessed come when we see parents that won't adapt or bend the rules.

We've been together 20 plus years. Our kids miss alot less school than the kids who's parents never take them on vacation but are constantly changing partners/addresses etc.

We figure a week of fun "together" time is a good investment for a happy home life. We work hard the other 51 weeks of the year.

Take your kids and cherish the memories!!:)

Yes, I take my kids out of school for vacations. For many of the reasons that have already been mentioned. It's my personal choice.

As soon as the teachers and their union stop taking multiple Mondays and Fridays off throughout the school calendar and an unbelievable number of 1/2 days (or delayed starts), which cause havoc for working parents, then perhaps I'll consider the impact on their time.

The LAST thing I consider when planning a vacation is how inconvienient my vacation might be for a teacher...who incidentally I employ via my taxes...it doesn't enter my equation at all to be honest.

Lets see..."we've got an unbelievable option to take a vacation during "x" month. It fits in financially, is a wonderful life experience opportunity, neither parent has any work projects going on...but wait Mr(s) Jones at "X" school might not approve" NOT HAPPENING:-)

To each their own! Enjoy your vacation...in this country with such limited vacation time in the workplace we've all earned it...except teachers who get a week at Christmas, a week at Easter and every Summer off not to mention Winter and Fall breaks.

Cheers

Wiscoleeds

The first curuise I took our kids on I even forgot to tell the school they would be gone. Now mind you I live in a town of 2000 people and everyone knows everyone but I still felt terrible. I had to call the school from the ship on monday to tell them my boys would be absent all week. The principle just laughed at me. He told me they knew the boys were going to be gone even if I did not do it offically. Does that make me a bad parent I do not think so.

Both sons were in high school and my youngest son had just gone thru some pretty tramatic stuff. He needed to get away. We all needed to get away. Yes it was during school but things happen. One son had a 3.8 and the other a 4.2 and taking college classes. A week away was not going to hurt either one of them. I would do it again.

I think it is a personal decision..(disclaimer to start NO kids here) but I did travel alot while a child until 4 when I started KG.. I don't agree with taking kids out of school for vacations.. they get their 2mths off that is when they should travel. If I only could get 2 mths off to vacation a yr would be fantastic.. but in reality I have to work 20yrs to get that much vacation time..

Teach your child young that money and vacations aren't everything.. getting an education IS.. once they have that then they can realize the expense to travel.. taking them out when it is ONLY convienent for the parents to save cash is not what I call responsible.. What I would call responsible is saving money to vacation when your kids are out of school and on vacation.. and you book your vacation to match. Looking to save money all the power to you.. but maybe have the kids stay with the grandparents and you take a vacation without them.. Again JMHO;) :)

I've worked in schools over 20 years now. I think that each family should do what they think is right for their family. I also want to say, that it's really appreciated greatly when the parents send the teacher a short note thanking them for the extra time they spent getting work together and making up work with their child. I realize it's in the job description; however, a "thank you, we appreciate your extra time" is a nice touch.

I've worked in schools over 20 years now. I think that each family should do what they think is right for their family. I also want to say, that it's really appreciated greatly when the parents send the teacher a short note thanking them for the extra time they spent getting work together and making up work with their child. I realize it's in the job description; however, a "thank you, we appreciate your extra time" is a nice touch.

I agree it probably does make it hard on most teachers. we should all just cruise together, classroom time available on ships, thats an idea :)

I think it is a personal decision..(disclaimer to start NO kids here) but I did travel alot while a child until 4 when I started KG.. I don't agree with taking kids out of school for vacations.. they get their 2mths off that is when they should travel. If I only could get 2 mths off to vacation a yr would be fantastic.. but in reality I have to work 20yrs to get that much vacation time..

Teach your child young that money and vacations aren't everything.. getting an education IS.. once they have that then they can realize the expense to travel.. taking them out when it is ONLY convienent for the parents to save cash is not what I call responsible.. What I would call responsible is saving money to vacation when your kids are out of school and on vacation.. and you book your vacation to match. Looking to save money all the power to you.. but maybe have the kids stay with the grandparents and you take a vacation without them.. Again JMHO;) :)

Why do people have to tell other people what to teach their children? :mad:

I think it's selfish and not teaching the kids much about responsibilty and how important schooling is. The kids over here get so much vacation time during the year that it should not even be a consideration. And don't tell me about writing reports and stuff, the kids get enough time of take them then.

I have to agree with this post.....wait 'til a school break to cruise.

I've taken my kids out. This year, we're going on Spring Break for them. It's hard to pull off with one in grammer school, the other in high school. Past few years, the spring break weeks didn't coincide. I get little time off in summer as thats my busiest time of year. So, I do what works for us and the kids have to get their work done. The final decision to go is made based on there most recent report cards prior to booking and their attitude in general around the house.

To each his/her own. Do what works for you and your family and what you feel is right.

When you take your kids out of school don't forget the teachers. Send them a thank note or something because they put in extra time for your child. When we gather a weeks worth of work up it takes lots of time.

Also, let the teacher know at least 3 days in advance. The day before will not cut it. Don't forget to actually have your child do the work.

When you take your kids out of school don't forget the teachers. Send them a thank note or something because they put in extra time for your child. When we gather a weeks worth of work up it takes lots of time.

Also, let the teacher know at least 3 days in advance. The day before will not cut it. Don't forget to actually have your child do the work.

And if the parents don't do what u suggest then what?

I have been taking both my children out of school, sometimes days, but this year it will be a week. Our family has been blessed enough to take advantage of travel opportunities and we grab them when we can.

I think it has taught my children patience and understanding for other places in the U.S. and around the world.

The schools in our town have always been o.k. We give advance notice to the principal and teachers.

Are they spoiled? Maybe. I wouldn't have it any other way. Squirrel

I took my DD out for 3 days in November, they had teachers convention and we were really in need of a vacation so I figured that it was a short week and she would not miss much so it would be ok..her teacher gave her a huge folder with every last page that would be done while she was gone. When I mentioned to the teacher she said that she thought it was good for my daughter and that kids need that. The Principal wasn't extremely happy he believes kids should come in even if they are deathly ill so he did not enjoy hearing that we were away. Would I do it again?? Only if she was missing just a 3 days or less, not more than that. She is in first grade and she needs to be there but we made sure that on the plane and each day on the ship she did do some of her work until she was compltetly finished so it was not as though we pulled her away from any learning.

I think it's selfish and not teaching the kids much about responsibilty and how important schooling is. The kids over here get so much vacation time during the year that it should not even be a consideration. And don't tell me about writing reports and stuff, the kids get enough time of take them then.

If a person can take off from work to go on a vacation, then the kids can take off from school to go on a vacation. Not all education happens in school.

Great idea! Maybe a souvenier as well!

Kids have close to 1/3 of the year out of school, I am sure that there are some jobs that maybe time sensitive (tax season) but what employer literally tells you when to take your vacation time. Oh I know that you have to work around office schedules and such but....so when you take the kids out of school other than the approx 15 WEEKS THEY ARE NOT IN SCHOOL, well I don't think that's cool MY OPINION.

Also on those posts that talk about "creating memories" or " family time" OK do it during the approx 15 WEEKS THEY ARE NOT IN SCHOOL.

Coincendently those who admitted that they take the kids out of school for cheap travel (what the OP wanted to know) that's cool at least it was admitted. I have never done it though.

Archived