Zurich or Luzern

Debbierpof

Okay, so Switzerland isn't exactly on the Med. But we will have a lengthy overnight layover in Zurich on the way back to the States from Rome. My question is: Has anyone taken the train from Zurich to Luzern? Is it very scenic? Our flight arrives in Zurich at 4 pm and leaves the next day at 2 pm. I have reserved a hotel in Luzern and they said the train ride from the airport is an hour long. Is it worth staying in Luzern or should we stay in Zurich and take the train to Luzern to visit?:eek:

I'm wondering why you aren't just staying in Zurich - are you particularly interested in Lucerne and wonder if you won't return? I am asking because - yes Lucerne is beautiful - but Zurich is very worthy of your short visit itself without the need to travel anywhere else. A trip down Lake Zurich to the Lindt chololate factory - what could be better?

Jane

x

We stayed in Zurich prior to a cruise and took the train to Lucerne. I thought the train ride was scenic. I loved Zurich too, and I can see Jane's point. Lucerne is very charming though, so if I had only one day with no chance of a return visit to Switzerland and wasn't concerned about fatigue--which would be one big reason to stay in Zurich--I would pick Lucerne.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Sorry to say that:

but Zurich - Lucerne is not a scenic route.

If you really would like to do something like this:

Get to Tirano and use the Bernina-Express to St. Moritz and from there

Glacier-Express to Zermatt.

From there you should go to Montreux and board the GoldenPass Line via Interlaken to Lucerne.

These are the true scenic routes of Switzerland.

But you will not make it in one day.

Close to Lucerne there is the Rigi. There is a train going upwards. This is true lovely.

On the lake of Lucerne you should use the boats.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We've been to Zurich and Lucerne several times and although Lucerne is a lovely tourist spot, what we like about it is that it is the jumping off point for going up Mt. Pilatus. See the following link for information about Mt. Pilatus, the cogwheel railway and the "Golden Round Trip".

http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n58-sE.html

Zurich has a marvelous sidewalk cafe nightlife so I would suggest trying to stay in Zurich and making a day trip to Lucerne. Also, the frequency of trains to the airport are greater from Zurich.

Good luck on your Swiss adventure. We absolutely love Switzerland (anywhere and anything in Switzerland) and greatly regret that no cruiselines make port stops there. :D Yet.

We've been to Zurich and Lucerne several times and although Lucerne is a lovely tourist spot, what we like about it is that it is the jumping off point for going up Mt. Pilatus. See the following link for information about Mt. Pilatus, the cogwheel railway and the "Golden Round Trip".

I don't know about the trip from Zurich to Lucerne, but can vouch for the trip up Pilatus on the cogwheel, back down on the cable cars and the boat trip back to Lucerne. Thoroughly enjoyable. One of the highlights of my stay in Lucerne.

The weather at the top of the mountain didn't cooperate so much though ...

Europe_208.jpg

Good luck on your Swiss adventure. We absolutely love Switzerland (anywhere and anything in Switzerland) and greatly regret that no cruiselines make port stops there. :D Yet.

Yes - strange that? I wonder why. Which port would you recommend?

Perhaps I should get in touch with the Swiss Navy or Coastguard for advice?:D

Jane

x

With less than one day, and your hotel in Luzern already booked, I would stay in Luzern. The train ride directly to and from the airport is in fact about an hour and their are plenty of them (make sure you get one in Luzern that goes to the airport, not just the main Zurich station so you don't have to change). The areas you would want to see in Luzern are compact and you could see them in a few hours. For a restful, scenic dinner, consider having dinner on one of the ships that cruises the lake. It is very pretty and the food is decent if not gourmet.

Les

Lucern is a great Swiss town. You can travel up either Mt Pilatus or Titlis. Both are amazing. If you had more time a side trip to Interlaken and Grinderwald which are both outside of Lucern would be incredible. Have fun.

Zurich is more a city. A CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL CITY, BUT I prefer the counrtyside.

http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n58-sE.html

We liked this too, but it will be impossible to do in a day trip with the timing noted by the original poster.

Donna

Zurich is more a city. A CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL CITY, BUT I prefer the counrtyside.

That was the one thing that struck me about everywhere I went in Switzerland ... how do they keep things so clean?

We liked this too, but it will be impossible to do in a day trip with the timing noted by the original poster.

It would be very tight. Boat ride is 1:10 (first boat at 8:15), :30 on the cogwheel, :35 on the gondola/cableway. With time at the top and the hour long train ride back to Zurich, plus security at airport, I don't think I'd take the chance of making a 2pm flight. You could simply do the cableway/gondola up and down, but the railway and the boat ride were a big part of the charm for me at least.

Yes - strange that? I wonder why. Which port would you recommend?

Perhaps I should get in touch with the Swiss Navy or Coastguard for advice?

There's a comedian in every crowd. I must admit I was thinking the very same thing. perhaps a canal through the alps?:D

It would be very tight. Boat ride is 1:10 (first boat at 8:15), :30 on the cogwheel, :35 on the gondola/cableway. With time at the top and the hour long train ride back to Zurich, plus security at airport, I don't think I'd take the chance of making a 2pm flight. You could simply do the cableway/gondola up and down, but the railway and the boat ride were a big part of the charm for me at least.
Yes, I think that with the timing so tight, I would do a walking tour of Lucerne and then a boat ride to just enjoy Lucerne. And especially considering the exhaustion factor after an international flight, I just don't think the side trip from Lucerne is well advised with the timing noted by the original poster. Frommers has a great walking tour that includes the main sights as well as that panorama, which my husband found very interesting.

Donna

Jerseyjk and Donna: You're absolutely right. The timing for a Pilatus trip would be too tight. It did not register that the Zurich flight was 2:00pm the following day. But given that time constraint, I wouldn't even bother with Lucerne. I'd stick with getting the most out of Zurich.

Jerseyjk: Wonderful photos. Brings back good memories. The last time we were up on Pilatus in 2004 the Lucerne side was socked in with clouds and fog but looking out the other side of the mountain, where the cogwheel railway comes up, the sun was mostly out and the scenery was spectacular. I guess you just have to take your chances.

The last time we were up on Pilatus in 2004 the Lucerne side was socked in with clouds and fog but looking out the other side of the mountain, where the cogwheel railway comes up, the sun was mostly out and the scenery was spectacular. I guess you just have to take your chances.

I was also there in 2004. It was almost eerie how all the way up it was sunny and warm until we got to within a couple hundred feet of the top. You then couldn't see 50 yards. Same thing going down on the gondola ... clouds and fog and then all of a sudden we dropped out of them and it was bright with miles of visibility.

You do take your chances. The day after we went up, it was clear as crystal, but by then it was too late.

Debbierpof, I have been to Switzerland 21 times and as you can tell by that it is my favorite place to visit. By all means catch the train at the airport and go directly to Lucerne. There is a lot to see within a fairly small area. The information center is located at the train station. You can check your luggage at the airport and not have to drag all of that with you. Just take an overnight bag. Trains are frequent and it is only an hour. You can feel safe walking at night.

JerseyJK, Loved seeing your pictures.

For any of you who might plan a longer visit sometime stay in the Interlaken area and take day trips to just about anyplace you want to go.

Jaalice:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question: We will arrive in Zurich at 11AM, then pick up luggage and rental car. Trying to decide whether to stay in Zurich for the night, or drive to Luzern, and check it out. The next day we will drive to Lake Como in Italy, and stay the week, and return for another day in Switzerland before returning to the US. Any hotel recommendations, or must see's? Thanks.

Barb

If I was going from Zurich to Lake Como ...

I'd go to Lucerne, drive the St. Gotthard Pass (assuming it's open when you're going) to Lugano and then on to Lake Como. It's a stunning drive.

I'm one for scenery, fresh air, quaint cities (Lugano is quite beautiful) and not nightlife, so my opinion is skewed to that type of activity.

More info on Lugano at http://www.lugano-tourism.ch/framework/DesktopDefault.aspx?menu_id=1479

Archived