How do we get to LUCCA from LIVORNO

grabbit97

Last year we had invaluable advice from Sarah Thompson an Englishwoman who lives in Livorno and who runs a website devoted to Livorno. Not sure if I can post her website address here but just google Sarah Thompson, Livorno. Follow the link to "travelling to Florence by train from Livorno " and you will see that she mentions the position vis-a-vis taxi's at the port.

Sarah is very approachable and will answer your particular questions by e-mail. Loads of useful information on her site.

Just to put something else out there:

You can also do a rental car to go to Lucca. It's a good highway from Pisa to Lucca. This is one of the few times I'd say get the Rick Steves book on Tuscany, since he does mention where the inexpensive parking lots are just outside of the walls of Old Lucca.

You are right and we often rent cars in Livorno. But there are an awful lot of folks that do not feel comfortable driving in Italy. A rental car is also somewhat more expensive then taking the train if Lucca is your only goal. But since you opened this sub-topic we can give a bit more detailed info in case somebody wants to consider the option. Parking at Lucca is actually quite easy since there are very expansive parking lots surrounding the walls of the city. As to rental car companies, one should be careful to try and find a company that will deliver (and pick-up) at pierside. Many local Livorno companies do not come to the pier. One good company is the local Hertz franchise dealer (Sifracar) which has an excellent track record. They even have a special place on their website for cruise ship passengers who want a car at the port. Their link is:

http://www.sifracar.com/home.htm?lingua=2

Keep in mind that most rental cars in Italy come with a standard transmission. For those that must have an automatic it can cost a lot more money, and in some cases, you may not even be able to find a car.

Anyone who would drive from Livorno to Lucca might also want to consider stopping at Pisa. But be forewarned that Pisa has a so-called "ZTL" zone which is a section of town where driving is restricted only to residents. If you accidently drive into a ZTL your license will be captured by cameras and eventually you will find a large charge (often about 100 Euros) on your credit card. Of course the ZTL in Pisa runs on most of the streets near the Leaning Tower so one must be careful to download a map and be alert for the small ZTL signs.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I stayed at an agriturismo just outside of Pisa in San Giuliano Terme. The road led to Lucca via "the back way". We did a circle day trip - out through Pisa to the highway there to Lucca, then back down the hills the back way. My friend's husband has a thing for not wanting to pay much for parking, so he used the Steves book and found some more inexpensive lots within 5 minutes walk of the walls of Lucca. In Pisa, you definitely have to look at those no park zones. We parked near the train station and walked to the tourist area. If you go a couple of blocks form the station, the price drops for street parking.

I know some of are "brave" enough to go it alone on our trips and some prefer the security of private or ships tours. I just like to always put out the DIY options. I've never had a problem driving anywhere in Europe. I've never had a problem with taking trains, either. It just takes a little forethought and investigation. Everything can be found here for any viewpoint.

We rented a car from Livorno to Lucca. We *really* loved Lucca. Wish we had started the day earlier and spent less time in Pisa so we could have spent more time in Lucca.

Rented from Sifracar and they were great to work with.

• 3 years later...
Hank: I'd like to get more advice from you. My husband and I are leaving Sept 17, 2011 for the 21 day Mediterranean Treasures aboard the Ryndam. We cruise a lot, always with HAL. Since we have traveled a bit; I'd like to strike out at some ports to see new places. For instance, this time at the Livorno port (Oct 7), we'd like to take the train to Lucca. You suggest that we cut out the shuttle-bus deal and take a taxi from the dock to the train station? Linda

Is it necessary to purchase train tickets in advance for the trip from Livorno to Lucca or can we purchase tickets when we get to the train station? Ruby

Is it necessary to purchase train tickets in advance for the trip from Livorno to Lucca or can we purchase tickets when we get to the train station? Ruby

You resurrected a thread from 2011! But the answer is the same. To take a train to Lucca you have to change trains in Pisa. This means using the Regionale (kind of like local trains) which do not have reserved seats or require advance sales. Seating is simply first come first serve and in the very rare situation where a train would be totally full you would find some just standing. So you just go to the Livorno Centrale station and buy your ticket from either the ticket window or out of the ticket vending machines. You then "validate" the ticket by stamping it in a validation machine located either near the platform entrance or sometimes on the platform. This machine simply imprints a time/date stamp on your ticket. You then just hop on the next train to Pisa. Once at Pisa you have to find the train to Lucca and it used to be in a track position located all the way at the end of the platform (towards your right as you exit the station). Not sure if they still use that distant auxillary track location for the Lucca train...

Hank