Please sail out of New Orleans...

Cotton

Judy, I have a second home in V'burg, and I read the Jax paper and watch the news when there. I've never seen such a rapid increase in murders, plus other crimes, in Jax in the past year!!!:eek: I think, per capita, it's MUCH MUCH worse than N.O.

Now - About this thread - I haven't checked it in several months....I wish I could read ALL the replies, but time doesn't permit. I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts on our recovery! Keep on visiting N.O.!:)

Yup, Cotton, Jackson has gotten unbelievable....makes me super sad. =o( I have always considered Jackson my hometown .....moved down here from Illinois at the age of 14 with my parents which was eons ago and fell in love with it. Now I'm married 33 yrs. and have been living in a little suburb town for about 27 years.......we keep praying that the crime stays in Jackson and doesn't radiate out our way. Actually, we keep praying that the crime in Jackson is brought under control soon...something has to give.

Actually, DD and I are visiting New Orleans again early August to attend the Satchmo Jazz Fest....and see Taylor Hicks in concert at the House of Blues. We might either use the trolley to go back and forth or a taxi. We aren't the least bit worried about N.O. as we know where to not wonder into to stay safe. DD is super excited about it.

• 2 months later...

BBC News has recently published an "analysis" piece on New Orleans:-

Two years on, New Orleans stalls

Analysis

By Steve Schifferes

Economics Reporter, BBC News

Two years after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, the city has still only partly recovered economically - and much rebuilding, especially of the public sector, has stalled.

Americans were shocked by the pictures of the destruction of the Crescent City in August 2005.

Two weeks after the storm, President Bush went to New Orleans to pledge that America "will do what it takes" to rebuild the city.

But two years on, although the New Orleans region has undergone a significant economic recovery, the city is still far from rebuilt.

In particular, the city has struggled to rebuild its public services, and the state and Federal government have failed to provide the assistance needed for individuals to rebuild their homes.

"Without strong leadership it is likely to be a long time before greater New Orleans is again a safe, robust city for all its inhabitants," says Amy Liu, deputy director of the Brookings Institution's metropolitan policy program, which has been tracking the city's progress.

(Remainder of article at link.)

• 3 months later...

well just giving me 2 cents....i sailed on the fantasy jan of 2007 and wasnt able to see much of the city since i flew down the day of cruise and the weather was less than great. so now i am sailing the fantasy again jan of 2008 and will be flying down the day b4. staying at the hilton riverside and hope to see alittle bit more of the city. i am all for coming back as many times as the price is right. well until jan 25th ...nawlins i will see ya then

DH & I just returned from NCL Spirit cruise out of Nola Monday. Can only say ``Wow'' regarding the great time we had in the Big Easy.

We arrived in Nola on Nov., 24, the day of the Bayou Classic football game, and stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza at the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets.

Spent the afternoon and early evening walking Bourbon Street and down to Jackson Square and back to the hotel. Have never felt safer in a city than that night, even though Bourbon Street was wall to wall people with many, many people who had obviously started partying hours before.

Truly the safest DH & I have felt in a port city ever.

I commend the City of New Orleans and it's police force for the great crowd control system they put into the evening's partying venue. No way I could even estimate the number of police and sheriff deputies patrolling a 10 - 12 block area that night. From regular and unmarked police and sheriff cars to officers on foot, morotcycle cops and mounted police, they were there to ensure the streets were safe for pedestrians.

DH & I are both 60 and last visited the French Quarter in 1980. Have to tell you we felt safer on this last trip to NOLA than we did 27 years ago.

And to those of you who live in NOLA, please believe me that we drop more than an ample amount of travel dollars in your city during our day before our cruise and the 36 hours we spent in your beautiful city after our cruise.

We enjoyed our stay in New Orleans and our cruise on NCL Spirit so much that we finalized booking on the same ship for the week after Thanksgiving next year.

Looking forward to another great time in your city and more great food and Louisiana hospitality.

The Big Easy is back up and rolling and I would recommend a cruise on any ship out of NOLA to anyone.

Dianne

We enjoyed our stay in New Orleans and our cruise on NCL Spirit so much that we finalized booking on the same ship for the week after Thanksgiving next year.

Dianne

Hi Dianne,

We are going to miss each other by one week. We will be on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Spirit.

Dave

Hi Dianne,

We are going to miss each other by one week. We will be on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Spirit.

Dave

Make sure you save a few helpings of jambalaya, a few soft shell crabs and crawfish and a few dozen clams on the half shell for us.

Are you staying over night in the area before or after your cruise?

Dianne

Make sure you save a few helpings of jambalaya, a few soft shell crabs and crawfish and a few dozen clams on the half shell for us.

Are you staying over night in the area before or after your cruise?

Dianne

I live less than two hour from New Orleans so we drive down. We leave the house at 8:30 am and pull into the port at 10:20am. Clams?? Dont you mean oysters? :D

Dave

I live less than two hour from New Orleans so we drive down. We leave the house at 8:30 am and pull into the port at 10:20am. Clams?? Dont you mean oysters? :D

Dave

Oops, yes oysters. Had clams on the brain since I was working on our Sept. cruise out of San Francisco yesterday.:)

Dianne

• 5 weeks later...

well in a few short weeks i will be down in nola

i have one question for anyone that knows the area

how far is hilton riverside to bourbon str? thanks

98charlie...i see that you are from hilliard i lived in dublin for about 5 yrs when i worked at charles penzones. have u used skybus to get to nola yet? i am on the 25th got a great price but a not so nice flight time but owell if i get home and back thats all that matters

thanks again for anyinfo on the distance

98charlie...i see that you are from hilliard i lived in dublin for about 5 yrs when i worked at charles penzones. have u used skybus to get to nola yet? i am on the 25th got a great price but a not so nice flight time but owell if i get home and back thats all that matters

Interestingly enough, we will be on Skybus out of CMH on Jan. 25 as well, however we are flying to FLL to catch the Carnival Miracle cruise on 1/26. DD and DSIL are flying Skybus to NOLA the end of February,

We have booked the NCL Spirit out of NOLA for next November. Waiting to hear from DD's experience with Skybus to see if we want to try it to NOLA ourselves.

Enjoy your time in the Big Easy. We had a blast and can't wait to get back.

Dianne

We have booked the NCL Spirit out of NOLA for next November. Waiting to hear from DD's experience with Skybus to see if we want to try it to NOLA ourselves.

Dianne

Dianne,

Are you going on the Nov 23rd or Nov 30th sailing? We will be on the Nov 23rd sailing which is the first 7-day sailing for the season plus the first right out of drydock.

Dave

Dianne,

Are you going on the Nov 23rd or Nov 30th sailing? We will be on the Nov 23rd sailing which is the first 7-day sailing for the season plus the first right out of drydock.

Dave

We're on the Nov. 30 sailing. We try to cruise each year during the week after Thanksgiving. Prices are a bit cheaper and the cruise gives me a great opportunity to buy Christmas presents for kids and grandkids -- gifts that I don't have to worry about saving receipts since the family can't return.:D What they gets is what they gets!:cool:

Dianne

As you come out of the front door of the Riverside Hilton, circle Harrah's keeping it on your left. You will come to Canal Street. Proceed lakeside (away from the river) for about 10 minutes or less and you will come to Bourbon St. On the opposite side of Canal the same street is named Carondelet, so don't be confused. As you face away from the river, the Quarter is on your right. Have a great time.

[bTW I'm a dadoftwins]

We're on the Nov. 30 sailing. We try to cruise each year during the week after Thanksgiving. Prices are a bit cheaper and the cruise gives me a great opportunity to buy Christmas presents for kids and grandkids -- gifts that I don't have to worry about saving receipts since the family can't return.:D What they gets is what they gets!:cool:

Dianne

I dont blame you for sailing the week after. I wish I could have, but my daughters are already missing 7 days this year by going on the Holiday and Fantasy. So I had to bite the bullet and pay. I got hit three times, once for the holiday, once for the 1st 7-day sailing of the season and then again by being the first sailing after drydock.

It was not until I booked, that I realized the Spirit does not have any 4-person balconies. We ended up having to get an IS. I guess because the ship was built for the Asian market and China's one child policy, they did not feel they needed four people in the room.

Dave

As you come out of the front door of the Riverside Hilton, circle Harrah's keeping it on your left. You will come to Canal Street. Proceed lakeside (away from the river) for about 10 minutes or less and you will come to Bourbon St. On the opposite side of Canal the same street is named Carondelet, so don't be confused. As you face away from the river, the Quarter is on your right. Have a great time.

[bTW I'm a dadoftwins]

well thanks shunga (dadotwins ;) )

and thanks everyone too for the info. well this is my first time too on skybus. what time is your flight? i dont flyout into 8pm so i will probably have some dinner at max and ermas well i wait for the flight

Were leaving in the morning to cruise out of New Orleans. Leave on Sunday on the NCL Spirit. We've cruised out of this port maybe 10 times on the old Commodore Cruise line. I would have thought that old line would have been mentioned earlier in this long thread. I have always felt safe in New Orleans. Stayed several times in a small hotel in the Quarter...Maison Dupuy. The Big Easy is full of great people that are always happy you came and just like every other large city...there are places a tourist shouldn't visit. Other than that...I would say go visit New Orleans and let the good times roll!!

We have not sailed out of New Orleans but we have been there 4 times since Katrina,,,hopefully a 5th time soon:D

We have never had a problem..we usually stay at B&Bs which are located more in the Faubourg Marigny area on the edge of the French Quarter..walked plenty of times late at night and never felt unsafe.

Just use common sense that would apply to any new area you visit...

Also, hope I dont get in trouble but TripAdvisor forums are great places to find out info..the locals are great and honest...I lived on it while planning my trips, LOL!

Not knocking this forum/board at all..I have read some great info here..Thanks!

New Olreans...there is not another place like her..go enjoy and have a great time..you will not regret it:)

Archived