1 st cruse review

jbtcajun

NCL SUN

2/18—2/25—07

1st curse

10th floor balcony room 0030

What a ship. It is large and beautiful. Sales through the seas with ease and a minimum amount of sway.

The crew is well trained and very courteous. Everyone seems to know their job and does it well.

The itinerary of 7 days and 4 ports works well and is not to strenuous.

The wife and I had a wonderful time as we normally do when we are out bent on having FUN.

The embarkation and disembarkation went with the greatest of ease and was well managed. This was true for all stops as well as the first and last.

Cabins and entire ship were keep clean at all times.

They have hand sanitizers at the entrance to every restaurant and someone to make sure everyone uses them. This should go a long way to fight viruses.

The shows are entertaining and there is usually a small choice of things to do during the day.

All though smoking is allowed throughout the entire ship it was never a real problem to us non smokers.

Now the bad.

The torture devices supplied for sleep are terrible. The last few nights we used the sofa bed witch was much more comfortable, yet still uncomfortable.

If you enjoy well prepared food this is not the cruse for you and definitely stay out the buffet.

Dining in the up charge restaurants require a reservation at least 24 hours in advance. I tried getting a copy of all weeks’ menus for the main restaurants in order to choose to miss the nights I liked the least. (It would help if the menus for the week in all the restaurants would be provided for planning purposes)

The last show in the main auditorium ends after the snacks are picked up, the buffet is closed, the ice cream is capped. This is a problem for those who enjoy a little late night something.

Late night on this ship is around 11 then the decks are basically rolled up unless you enjoy gambling or drinking. Neither of witch hold much interest for us.

I am semi dependant on a wheel chair, meaning I can get up and walk. When the stewards are working morning and night the halls are blocked with Ice coolers, carts and service racks making negotiation in a chair impossible. (This would also cause a deadly situation in case of fire or other emergency evacuation)

Be prepared to be bombarded with sales campaigns, both overt and subliminal. I suppose this is a necessary evil to keep the rates low as they are. A small price to pay to avoid the ultra high cost of luxury travel.

Funny story.

Liars club a show held in one of the lounges was packed to beyond reason. I eased in the back and sat along the wall at the rear of the stage. During the show several sales pitches for drinks were worked in. The funny thing was the cruse director was in the show and after her turn to speak every time she would pick up a drink glass and take a long draw on the straw making some movement or jester to be noticed. THE DRINK GLASS WAS EMPTY WITH A NAPKIN AND SOME FRUIT IN IT. They are good at the sales game you’ll be on guard.

We definitely feel like we got our money worth. There should be more choices of free drinks than what is available. The quality of the food in all the restaurants could use some improvement. Would we go on another cruse? Not on this ship as long as they are still using the beds that are there now. Well maybe an air mattress can be brought to aid comfort.

Enjoyed your review. We were on the Sun on deck 10, cabin 0006 the week before. We had a great time & it was our second Sun cruise. Great ship, very clean and wonderful crew. We enjoyed the food most nights & didn't go to the buffet except for breakfast. Went to Tepanakki (sp) & it was great as was Las Ramblas. On a previous cruise went to East Meets West for one of the best steaks we've had. Didn't have any problem with our bed, but son & DIL had to ask for an egg crate for theirs. Really enjoyed the ports. Would definitely sail on the Sun again.

I would have to say, one of our few complaints about the Sun is the beds: I do hope they improve in the near future. If they have the same CD they had last spring, I wouldn't bother even listening to her, but the CD, good or bad doesn't make a cruise. 20 plus cruises and I only remember about 3 CDs that made an impression on me, one way or the other. As for a better selection of drinks during the day, we all wish for that and yet,NCL offers about the same as other lines. What would you suggest? With coffee, tea and water being available the only thing really left would be soda or lemonade. Just like a restaurant these drinks are extra. NMnita

Archived