Nordic Prince

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Cruise Industry News:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/5023-12411-ocean-star-cruises-set-to-start-service-in-april.html

Cruise Industry News broke this story on December 16 2010.

Ocean Star Cruises, which bought the 1971-built Aquamarine from the Louis Group (ex-Nordic Prince), is set to start service in the Mexican Riviera, sailing three-, four- and seven-day itineraries from Manzanillo and Acapulco, starting April 11.

According to sources in Mexico, the new cruise line will generate 750 direct jobs and the company claims to be investing $100 million in this startup venture.

Meanwhile, most other cruise lines, except for Disney Cruise Line, are pulling capacity from the Mexican Riviera.

It was reported that Ocean Star’s transaction with Louis for the Aquamarine was valued at just north of $23 million, but it is unclear at this time whether that was in cash at the time of delivery.

The company has also reportedly said it can carry some 80,000 passengers a year.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I said the Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince in 2000 for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was our first cruise ever. We sailed out of Nyc to Bermuda. We hit a storm in the middle of the night. It was horrible. Everyone but a handful of passengers were sick. The crew was sick. People broke bones. You could hardly stand up on the ship. There were actually 2 other ships from other cuise lines sailing the same time. One lost stabilizers. We had no food ..just pretzels at a bar. There were barf bags everywhere. When we finally reached Bermuda we couldn't get into port. They have to do alot of navagating to get in normally and couldn't get it. We sat there a day. Finally into port and ambulances were waiting for people. Some people got off with luggage to fly home. It was a nightmare. The doctor was sick as well. When we got off the ship and picked up a newspaper. The headlines were something like 3 ships in distress..not expected to make it. We had one day in Bermuda and all water related excursions were cancelled. We headed home. The pool didn't have water in it because the seas were too rough. Alot of activities were cancelled on board. Needless to say..that was our one and only cruise. We have finally got our nerve up to try it again and we are sailing in april. But, nothing from RCCl in apoligy or anything...I won't sail with the again..That is for sure.

My husband and I said the Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince in 2000 for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was our first cruise ever. We sailed out of Nyc to Bermuda. We hit a storm in the middle of the night. It was horrible. Everyone but a handful of passengers were sick. The crew was sick. People broke bones. You could hardly stand up on the ship. There were actually 2 other ships from other cuise lines sailing the same time. One lost stabilizers. We had no food ..just pretzels at a bar. There were barf bags everywhere. When we finally reached Bermuda we couldn't get into port. They have to do alot of navagating to get in normally and couldn't get it. We sat there a day. Finally into port and ambulances were waiting for people. Some people got off with luggage to fly home. It was a nightmare. The doctor was sick as well. When we got off the ship and picked up a newspaper. The headlines were something like 3 ships in distress..not expected to make it. We had one day in Bermuda and all water related excursions were cancelled. We headed home. The pool didn't have water in it because the seas were too rough. Alot of activities were cancelled on board. Needless to say..that was our one and only cruise. We have finally got our nerve up to try it again and we are sailing in april. But, nothing from RCCl in apoligy or anything...I won't sail with the again..That is for sure.

Sorry about your experience. However, I think you have the wrong ship - As stated above: "on 15 March 1995 she was sold to British-based Sun Cruises, part of the Airtours/MyTravel Group."

She was a beauty and brand new. The food was excellant but the entertainment was very old. They still put dance wax on the dance floors. We loved sliding from one side of the ship to the other to the music. No body else was young enough to dance.LOL

We hit nine islands in 14 days and I loved every minute of it. The islands were still fresh and the people friendly. We were the only ship in port most places. Oh for the old days of travel. It was a true pleasure. And I still have my guest list & a few papers.:)

Sorry about your experience. However, I think you have the wrong ship - As stated above: "on 15 March 1995 she was sold to British-based Sun Cruises, part of the Airtours/MyTravel Group."

I am so sorry, you are right!! My husband informed me it was the Nordic Empress. Close..but wrong.. Still Royal Caribbean though..Thanks so much!!:)

This thread brought back a lot of memories. Aloha of the Seas- It seems that we had the same taste of ship. We sailed with friends(1st timers) back in 1989. I can remember the Crown Lounge being outside and having to climb those steps on a windy night. My GF and I were wearing dresses and needless to say we gave our husbands a sneak peek. We traveled that cruise to the Carribbean for 10days. We were with a group and the organizer hosted a private party where caviar was served. It was the 1st and last time for that. I also remember that Martinique was one of the ports and that was the only time we have been there. It was not a friendly place.

Like you we have sailed on the Atlantic & Song of Norway. Again with the same friends as above we had inside cabins and at 5am we were awakened with the reverse thrust vibrations.

On a later cruise we were in Grenada and my husband spotted the ship Carousel anchored near us. He said that the ship looked very familiar and after some thought confirmed with an officer on the ship we were on that it was indeed the NP.

I have to agree that the smaller ships were more intimate than the mega ships of today but it hasn't stopped us from booking at least 1 cruise a year.

So far we have sailed 2 Home Lines - 3 Celebrity -5 RCI - 9 NCL and 3 Princess (soon to be 4) and 1 each of Royal Olympic, R ships, Costa and Dolphin. We are always on the look for a different itinerary no matter what ship it may be on.

This thread brought back a lot of memories. Aloha of the Seas- It seems that we had the same taste of ship. We sailed with friends(1st timers) back in 1989. I can remember the Crown Lounge being outside and having to climb those steps on a windy night. My GF and I were wearing dresses and needless to say we gave our husbands a sneak peek. We traveled that cruise to the Carribbean for 10days. We were with a group and the organizer hosted a private party where caviar was served. It was the 1st and last time for that. I also remember that Martinique was one of the ports and that was the only time we have been there. It was not a friendly place.

Like you we have sailed on the Atlantic & Song of Norway. Again with the same friends as above we had inside cabins and at 5am we were awakened with the reverse thrust vibrations.

On a later cruise we were in Grenada and my husband spotted the ship Carousel anchored near us. He said that the ship looked very familiar and after some thought confirmed with an officer on the ship we were on that it was indeed the NP.

I have to agree that the smaller ships were more intimate than the mega ships of today but it hasn't stopped us from booking at least 1 cruise a year.

So far we have sailed 2 Home Lines - 3 Celebrity -5 RCI - 9 NCL and 3 Princess (soon to be 4) and 1 each of Royal Olympic, R ships, Costa and Dolphin. We are always on the look for a different itinerary no matter what ship it may be on.

Hi Marcia,

You are right. That was special back then. There is something special about small ship cruising. I never kept any records of my ports of call back then, do you remember what all the ports of call on the 10 day cruise. All I can remember is we sailed out of San Juan right after a hurricane and went to Martinque. Good Sailing, Murf

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the ports after awhile they all run together. I believe the usual w/St Thomas, St Martin, Martinique probably Antigua, Barbados and if there were more I don't remember. As Archie Bunker would say "Those were the days" Marcia

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was onboard the Nordic Prince for it's maiden voyage on July 31, 1971 out of Miami for a two week Caribbean cruise. I still have all the souvenirs from those maiden voyages. I was 12 years old and had the time of my life. The Viking Crown was the idea of one of the original owners of RCCL(three Norweigian families) and the engineers originally didnt think it would work. They tried it on the Song of Norway and it was a huge hit and became the trademark for many years of RCCL. At the time, this was considered very high and tall for a ship - of course, not compared to the huge ones built today. We cruised on the Nordic Prince a number of times including our honeymoon in September 1985 from NYC to Bermuda. We encountered Hurricane Gloria and sailed out of Bermuda early and stayed at sea an extra day. Ships have personalities and everyone LOVED the Nordic Prince - it was a wonderful, fun ship. We were docked next to it last summer in the Mediterranean. Nordic Prince was the second of RCCL's ships - the first one was Song of Norway in December 1970 and Sun Viking in Summer 1972. They were called the Ships of the 70s.

As a Slovak college student, I interrupted my studies and went to Miami to work for RCCL back in October 1990. They put me to Nordic Prince where I stayed till May 1991. First couple of months working in dining room I thought it is impossible to survive, but later I got used. Now after 20years I still remember this - at that time a huge ship for me, big enough to get lost inside on the long struggle to find my cabin, which was from one half below the waterline. During all the cruises I made with Nordic Prince either from Miami or afterwards from NY I met hundreads of passangers, mostly nice people. Best regards to everybody who remember Nordic Prince, which gave me maybe slightly different, but valuable life experience.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I remember it was a hassle to visit the Viking Crown Lounge since you had to climb an outside (exposed to elements) stairway at the stern of the ship....was not fun in rain or wind.

You must remember wrong about the Viking Lounge up in the "chimney". I was up there several times taking down rubbish after the furniture guys had finished their job at the shipyard where the Nordic Prince was built. We came up inside through a winding staircase from the deck below. Perhaps you never found that entrance. You see; - I started working as a deck man on the Nordic Prince when she was being built in Finland back in 1971. We sailed her across the Atlantic and reached Miami around the 1st Aug. - 71. From there we did two week cruises to various islands, the southernmost was Trinidad. Part of my job was to use that outside access you mention to was the Lounge outside windows! So I guess you actually must have used an access prohibited by passengers. Besides, I can assure you that the Viking Lounge was part of the original build of the ship as she was identical to the one year older Song of Norway cruise ship and the later Song of America. However, the Lounge was removed when she was sold years later and left ashore and never used again as far as I know.

She was a beauty and brand new. The food was excellent but the entertainment was very old. They still put dance wax on the dance floors. We loved sliding from one side of the ship to the other to the music. No body else was young enough to dance.LOL

We hit nine islands in 14 days and I loved every minute of it. The islands were still fresh and the people friendly. We were the only ship in port most places. Oh for the old days of travel. It was a true pleasure. And I still have my guest list & a few papers.:)

The Nordic Prince was built at Wärtsila shipyard, Helsinki, Finland during 1970-71 and sailed as new late July 1971 to Kristiandsand, Norway for a two day loading of supplies, then across the Atlantic and reached Dodge Island, Miami on Aug. 1st 1971. I worked on board as a deck man from that summer of -71 and started my job at the shipyard for a month's intense fireman's training. Our first two week cruise started mid Aug. 1971, so in 72 the Nordic Prince was a year old. I left the Prince in late Oct. -71, later to join another cruise ship in LA, the Island Princess, now called Discovery and still cruising the Norwegian coast.

You must remember wrong about the Viking Lounge up in the "chimney". I was up there several times taking down rubbish after the furniture guys had finished their job at the shipyard where the Nordic Prince was built. We came up inside through a winding staircase from the deck below. Perhaps you never found that entrance. You see; - I started working as a deck man on the Nordic Prince when she was being built in Finland back in 1971. We sailed her across the Atlantic and reached Miami around the 1st Aug. - 71. From there we did two week cruises to various islands, the southernmost was Trinidad. Part of my job was to use that outside access you mention to was the Lounge outside windows! So I guess you actually must have used an access prohibited by passengers. Besides, I can assure you that the Viking Lounge was part of the original build of the ship as she was identical to the one year older Song of Norway cruise ship and the later Song of America. However, the Lounge was removed when she was sold years later and left ashore and never used again as far as I know.

That spiral staircase must have been for crew only. For passengers it was the outside stairway on Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, and Sun Viking. Song of America was a different class of ship and was the first with an elevator to the Viking Crown Lounge.

That spiral staircase must have been for crew only. For passengers it was the outside stairway on Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, and Sun Viking. Song of America was a different class of ship and was the first with an elevator to the Viking Crown Lounge.

You are correct.

• 6 months later...
:)I worked on this ship back in 1971 from when she was brand new. As a Norwegian sailor I left Oslo with the rest of the Norwegian crew in June 1971 for the shipyard she was built at outside Helsinki, Finland. In the dry dock next to the Prince Sun Viking was being built June 1971.

We went through rough extensive fire drills outside Helsinki for three weeks before boarding the Prince in mid July. Our first job was to make the ship ready for its first voyage to Kristiansand, Norway where we stayed for two days taking on board provisions for the next long voyage across the Atlantic to Miami. On July 30th we set off and hit a nasty storm after crossing north west of Scotland and the Hebrides. The storm kept going to two days. After ten days we saw the skyscrapers on Miami Beach in the horizon popping up in the sun. A week later on a Saturday we set off on our first 14 days cruise. The last port of call on these cruises was Port of Spain, Trinidad. I recall a mayday message from a large bulk carrier outside Trinidad as we were about to leave Port of Spain. I was on the bridge steering at the moment. Our captain set full speed and those four hours it took the Prince to get to the bulk carrier, she did a better speed than ever. Across the Atlanctic she was tested to 24,5 knots, but that day from Trinidad she did no less than 26 knots, which I believe she never did later on her cruises. It was incredible to see how she moved through the water that day, and her engines actually made less vibration than when she kept her usual speed on cruises.

The Nordic Prince as far as I know is still doing cruises in the Carribean, but not for the RCCL which sold her in the early 90's. The "Crown" was removed before RCCL sold her. She was also extended with an 80 feet long section in the middle about ten years after being built. So was one of her sister ships, but not Sun Viking. The Prince started with 18400 tons, but ended up being extended to 23000 tons.

I also remember I fell in love with a young girl from Houston, Texas, though crew members were not allowed to fraternize with passengers, but that's another story.:)

Hi Kaare

that is a very interesting story about the Nordic Prince , Do you know who was the captain in December 1971??

Lovely story about the Nordic Prince, which month did you sail in 1972 and who was the captain?

She was a beauty and brand new. The food was excellant but the entertainment was very old. They still put dance wax on the dance floors. We loved sliding from one side of the ship to the other to the music. No body else was young enough to dance.LOL

Do you remember who your captain was on the Nordic prince??

I was onboard the Nordic Prince for it's maiden voyage on July 31' date=' 1971 out of Miami for a two week Caribbean cruise. I still have all the souvenirs from those maiden voyages. I was 12 years old and had the time of my life. The Viking Crown was the idea of one of the original owners of RCCL(three Norweigian families) and the engineers originally didnt think it would work. They tried it on the Song of Norway and it was a huge hit and became the trademark for many years of RCCL. At the time, this was considered very high and tall for a ship - of course, not compared to the huge ones built today. We cruised on the Nordic Prince a number of times including our honeymoon in September 1985 from NYC to Bermuda. We encountered Hurricane Gloria and sailed out of Bermuda early and stayed at sea an extra day. Ships have personalities and everyone LOVED the Nordic Prince - it was a wonderful, fun ship. We were docked next to it last summer in the Mediterranean. Nordic Prince was the second of RCCL's ships - the first one was Song of Norway in December 1970 and Sun Viking in Summer 1972. They were called the Ships of the 70s.[/quote']

we also sailed on her in Oct.1972 the captain was a young blonde guy

from Norway and very strict and always on time if he said we leave at 7;00PM we left on the second. Nice cruise only about 600 people all way to Trinidad 14 days 10 island.