group discounts for rooms?

I don't believe that RCI allows discounting any more - even for groups - but they do offer different amenities and/or free berths to groups. Your best bet is to call RCI's group cruise department and ask them for what's available.

In groups that have 18 or more people they offer a group leader discount. Basically they take the rate of the room most booked & give you a credit for that amount (minus the port fees & taxes). This discount can be taken by the group leader or split amongs the group.

Actually it is 8 cabins, not people, booked and you get ONE berth free and that free berth will be based on the category that you have the most rooms booked in. So if you have two D1 balconies and 6 M insides then the discount amount will be equal to the fare alone for one of the insides. The free berth though you will still pay the port fees and taxes on. And you can carry on the discount down line meaning that if you get 16 rooms then you get two free berths, etc. You can split the discount across the group.

the thing is we all booked through the same travel ageant but not at the same time we started 3 rooms and friends started joining us we are all booked for next weekend!!iam trying to call rci to see what they say!!!!

the thing is we all booked through the same travel ageant but not at the same time we started 3 rooms and friends started joining us we are all booked for next weekend!!iam trying to call rci to see what they say!!!!

OH this is for next week, I doubt at this point that they will do anything. It needed to be done at booking time. Just make sure that all your reservations are linked so that you all end up at dinner together.

You can't combine cabins into a group after final payment has been made.

We just formed a group yesterday of 10 rooms. Minimum as said of 8 rooms. Most of our staterooms are E2 category so the leader is going to save $840.00 on the $999 room for this particular cruise. Must pay government fees and taxes though. My husband will be paying full price. We are splitting the savings up amongst the group though. We can still take advantage of any promotions if applicable to us prior to the cruise. RCL has a Group Amenities Plus Program. Our group gets 4 points per person and can choose what we want. The choices include champagne, fruit baskets, towel, specialty restaurant experiences etc.

We all had made our individual deposits and had room assignments prior to forming the group. As individual bookings we all connected to one person's booking number for dining etc. That way we felt it was easier to keep all of us together in one group even though everyone had individual booking numbers. There are only so many groups allowed per sailing so we thought we better get going on this and just formed our group yesterday. The group number is 1-800-238-0166 option 1 for no group reservation yet and option 2 for existing group reservation.

Now I was told we can all call in and make individual payments and get insurance as part of the group ourselves under option 2..except for gratuities..they all have to be paid or none. Will find out more about this soon I hope. All e-mails, room changes etc have to go through the leader.

That is all I know for now not getting all the paper work yet sent to me. Hoping everything works out so we get that group savings. I call everyday looking for certain rooms to be let go on our deck to move some people around closer to middle of the ship. Apparently TA can only hold rooms for so long then they are released. Hoping to catch them. Also looking to get our cost down. After saving alot on our first cruise on the Carnival Victory am spoiled now wanting the same discounts.(as individuals paid 700 plus tax pp for balcony rm 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise)

No way an expert but this is what I learned so far on forming a group. If anyone has been part of a group would love to hear your experiences as well.

Also appreciate any info on when discounts open up for cruises and most of the time do you land up with discounts or not, especially being booked already...Thanks...

Since I posted my reply yesterday I am learning more about group bookings.

Some of our party as individuals booked insurance for $59.00. Today I find out they cancelled our insurance when we were moved over to a group booking. I was not told this would happen. I specifically asked and was told we could individually continue to purchase our inurance.

Today we are being told it will be 7.5% of our cruise cost which would make it $78-79.00 per person. I am waiting for the quote in writing but why would travel insurance go up $20.00 because you are in a group? I will be sent an enrollment form for insurance and have to send in a check because they do not take credit cards.

The point system is very confusing. We are allowed 4 pts. If you want a beach towel it is 2 pts for one per cabin. You cannot get a second towel for the second person in the cabin because "they don't double points". Very confusing.

Papers sent today had multiple errors in pricing, had to call and get straightened out.

I seriously wonder if this is even worth it to save $840.00 when we right up front could be paying $400.00 extra in travel insurance.

Has anyone done a group and have any input please???? Would appreciate it...:confused:

Archived