Mariner of the Seas Balcony Question

We have done a few Voyager ships and we are debating now for next year between the Liberty and the Mariner. Kinda leaning toward Mariner, but I was wondering what the balcony rooms are like. My parents had one on NOS and it was beautiful. Wide open balcony, and the doors separating them were glass with locked doors that could be taken out. My parents boarded the Explorer this past Sunday and were disappointed when they saw that the whole balcony had metal all over and the partition in the middle could not be taken out. They booked a room right next to their friends just so they could take the door out and share a nice large balcony. I figure that since the Mariner came our after the Navigator that the balcony's shoul be the same. Has anyone been on this ship and had the middle door taken out? I was going to book a room next to my parents so we could do that but I want to make sure we can. If anyone has any pics that would be great!! Thanks!

We just got off the Mariner on Sunday. We had adjoining D1 cabins. The stateroom attendant unlocked the balcony partition. It can't be removed completely but unlocked so that it opens. It does (or did on ours) block access from one of the rooms but we just opened the interior adjoining door and used that.

This description (taken from CC) may answer your question about the closed in balconies:

"Balconies on this ship (Mariner) are built outside the vessel's superstructure rather than inside, as they were with the first three in the family. The difference? Balconies are less cave-like, more light-filled, which also translates into airier cabins, as well (this is also the case on Navigator of the Seas). "

Thanks, this is good to know. I'm in my first balcony (a hump balcony at that!) in May. My parents are in the next one and I wasn't sure if we could open them. That's cool, though... more privacy for my boyfriend & I. :p

ok I look at more of my pictures because I did not remember any kind of handle...so on some of them do show one and here is the one I did find on our last cruise...so don't know every balcony is like that on both sides...or what.???:confused:

bambam

We are on the Mariner the week after you, please leave the ship in good shape. LOL

You will love the balconies on the Mariner. We were on the Explorer and Voyager and liked the balconies but the way they have changed them with the glass and all, the balconies are no comparison to those on the Mariner, they are WONDERFUL!!!

Tim

bambam

We are on the Mariner the week after you, please leave the ship in good shape. LOL

You will love the balconies on the Mariner. We were on the Explorer and Voyager and liked the balconies but the way they have changed them with the glass and all, the balconies are no comparison to those on the Mariner, they are WONDERFUL!!!

Tim

So on the Explorer being glass are they see through?

SugarNSpice:

There are two generations of design when it comes to Voyager class ships. The first generation (older) design are for Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure of the Seas. The second generation (newer) design is for the Navigator and Mariner of the Seas. One of the main differences is the amount of glass you will find on the balcony. The newer design offers much more glass. The newer design also offers more space dedicated to the Adventure Ocean teen program, a Ben & Jerry's, both Portofino & Chops, Jade in the Windjammer, and Vintages wine bar on the Promenade, etc.

Allow me to recommend an excellent website that will describe all the differences between the designs and offer a TON of photos both interior and exterior of ALL Voyager class ships. Someone has put a tremendous amount of work into the development of this website: See the entire site, but especially "Design & Building" then click "Facts & Figures". Also see the extensive "Photo Album".

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/index.html

Balcony partitions: If you are standing on the balcony you have the frosted glass partition doors, one on the right and one to the left. One of these doors will have a handle and a hex key lock above it (your cabin steward can unlock this door). The other partition door on your balcony will not have a handle or lock, as the handle & lock is located on the other side of that same door and is visible to the occupants that have that balcony cabin next door. I believe either door can be opened, just depends which cabin the steward has to go to to unlock.

You will find some of my Mariner of the Seas photos at this website. I have photos of various cabin grades and some of a Pullman room with Pullman in the down position. I also have Radiance of the Seas photos too including photos of some entrees from Portofino specialty restaurant.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40631118@N00/

Have a wonderful cruise!

Rose

So on the Explorer being glass are they see through?

sj25:

See my last post that has links to the Voyager Class website. You will find photos of the balconies from both the first and second generation design and you'll see the difference.

Hope that helps!

Rose

• 1 month later...

Even though the balcony dividers on Mariner CAN physically be opened, don't count on it. We were told that the official policy is that they will only open the balcony dividers to connecting rooms. Sometimes they do open the dividers without question, but there have been many times when they refuse to open the dividers "for safety reasons". It seems to be up to the captain, housekeeping director, and sea conditions.

On Voyager, Explorer and Adventure, the balconies are separated by a solid wall. It is very cavelike, and more private. It doesn't interfere with the view of the water in any way, just your neighbor.

Here's another post on the same topic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=533276

Archived