Tell me about Alcohol on Royal Caribbean

Hi all. My husband and I are first-time cruisers and we'll be sailing on the inaugural cruise of Liberty of the Seas for a belated honeymoon. I have seen a few things mentioned on Cruise Critic regarding alcohol packages and was hoping you could provide me with more information so we know what to ask for and where to purchase it while we're on the ship.:confused: Also, I saw a posting about ordering gift baskets to be sent to yourself upon boarding and was wondering if anyone had personal experience with those.:cool:

We're not lushes, but we're in our late twenties and want to enjoy ourselves on our honeymoon without getting totally ripped off where alcohol is concerned. Thanks for the help!! :rolleyes:

Also, I saw a posting about ordering gift baskets to be sent to yourself upon boarding and was wondering if anyone had personal experience with those !

I'm sailing this saturday (Yesssss!!!!!!) I've ordered from Shelley of "Just Because" who comes very highly reccomended. I'll let you know if RC gives us any problems whatsoever when I get back.

Ordered beer and liquor baskets from Shelly at Just Because a week before we left. Baskets were in our cabin when we arrived late afternoon. It was nice to have our own drinks in our cabin to enjoy on our balcony before dinner. We still ordered drinks by the pool and at the various bars in the evening. Would highly recommed Shelly. She'll send you a price list and will quote you anything else you'd like that is not on her list.

Another thread is going about the “rumor” about the 3rd party vendors. I’d call RCCL before you place the order to make certain that they are allowing new orders. I know it was said that RCCL values the relationship with this vendor….but you don’t want problems on your honeymoon!

You know I went on my 1st cruise last yr. and was very worried about saving money but wanting to take alcohol onboard. I was afraid that I would get caught so I tried to order from Shelly but last minute she had to cancel on me so I ended up taking vodka and small baileys bottles onboard. I also took about 20 bottled waters along with several soda cans too. I put it all in a cooler when we went on the Rhapsody. No one even blinked an eye about the cooler or the contents. I saved alot of cash but also had alot of special drinks of the day by the pool. So have fun, save money and pack it with you.

You know I went on my 1st cruise last yr. and was very worried about saving money but wanting to take alcohol onboard. I was afraid that I would get caught so I tried to order from Shelly but last minute she had to cancel on me so I ended up taking vodka and small baileys bottles onboard. I also took about 20 bottled waters along with several soda cans too. I put it all in a cooler when we went on the Rhapsody. No one even blinked an eye about the cooler or the contents. I saved alot of cash but also had alot of special drinks of the day by the pool. So have fun, save money and pack it with you.

To the OP: Follow this advice carefully...just because Beachlover didn't have any trouble, doesn't mean you won't. There have been all kinds of threads on the CC board in which members have described having no problems with smuggling alcohol aboard... but then there have also been posts which described just the opposite.

I've even seen one post from a reliable CC member (who has cruised a lot) who reported that he and his wife were not allowed to bring onboard their water and soft drinks on a February Jewel of the Seas sailing.

I'm really NOT trying to be difficult, Beachlover, but a post like yours, telling a new CC member to just pack her own alcohol, with little regard for the repercussions your post could cause her, is totally irresponsible. If you post a reply like this, at least make sure that you let a new member know that if one chooses to smuggle the alcohol aboard, one may be asked by security to come down and unlock one's bags, remove the smuggled alcohol, and turn it over to ship personnel until the end of the cruise.

This process is embarrassing for a lot of people - the OP deserves to know that, should she choose this option, this is what the end result could be. That enables her to make an informed decision which could prevent her from being in an embarrassing situation because of something she read on the CC board.

Sorry if my post offends anyone...it just really bothers me when misinformation or incomplete information is provided to our fellow cruisers which has the potential of causing them frustration, inconvenience or embarrassment. :cool:

To the OP: Follow this advice carefully...just because Beachlover didn't have any trouble, doesn't mean you won't. There have been all kinds of threads on the CC board in which members have described having no problems with smuggling alcohol aboard... but then there have also been posts which described just the opposite.

I've even seen one post from a reliable CC member (who has cruised a lot) who reported that he and his wife were not allowed to bring onboard their water and soft drinks on a February Jewel of the Seas sailing.

I'm really NOT trying to be difficult, Beachlover, but a post like yours, telling a new CC member to just pack her own alcohol, with little regard for the repercussions your post could cause her, is totally irresponsible. If you post a reply like this, at least make sure that you let a new member know that if one chooses to smuggle the alcohol aboard, one may be asked by security to come down and unlock one's bags, remove the smuggled alcohol, and turn it over to ship personnel until the end of the cruise.

This process is embarrassing for a lot of people - the OP deserves to know that, should she choose this option, this is what the end result could be. That enables her to make an informed decision which could prevent her from being in an embarrassing situation because of something she read on the CC board.

Sorry if my post offends anyone...it just really bothers me when misinformation or incomplete information is provided to our fellow cruisers which has the potential of causing them frustration, inconvenience or embarrassment. :cool:

Very good advise and the OP should also know, that RCCL has all this in the cruise contract and that it´s also in the contract that boarding can be denied when smuggling alcohol.

We have not heard about hthis happening yet and I doubt it will easily happen, but making an decision one should know the risk.

Actually, the word "alcohol" is not in the cruise contract. I have a copy and actually read it...a fine piece of 19th century literature :). Alcohol is mentioned on a separate page of your cruise docs titled "Beverage Policy".

Actually, the word "alcohol" is not in the cruise contract. I have a copy and actually read it...a fine piece of 19th century literature :). Alcohol is mentioned on a separate page of your cruise docs titled "Beverage Policy".

Which goes on to say that if found.......the passenger could be denied boarding! I have not heard of RCCL going this far..........but it is in the contract!!

Rick

Which goes on to say that if found.......the passenger could be denied boarding! I have not heard of RCCL going this far..........but it is in the contract!!

Rick

Rick, I have a copy of the contract from my last cruise, the word "alcohol" is not mentioned. I have read all 3 and a half pages, all 20 sections complete with subsections. It is pretty boring, 19th century stuff :D Alcohol is only mentioned on a page titled Beverage Policy which is included with the cruise docs...it is NOT in the contract, unless you can show me where, my eyes aren't so good anymore :)

Please quote me the clause # in the contract that mentions alcohol.

Originally Posted by Beachlover76 viewpost.gif

Hi Beachlover76, when did you go on your trip on the Rhapsody? Its our first cruise also and am wondering about doing this also. But would hate to be sent to the "Bad Room" :p Just curious if it was a recent trip? THanks!

Rick

And..as we all know...whether or not a policy is consistently enforced, or enforced at all, appears to be entirely subject to whomever is working that day! Just because one employee turns a blind eye doesn't mean that another one, on another ship, doing the exact same job, will do the same.

If there's one thing we can all rely on in the cruiseline industry, and not just with RCI, is that the policies are not consistently enforced, nor will you be given consistent answers to your questions! :p

Very good advise and the OP should also know, that RCCL has all this in the cruise contract and that it´s also in the contract that boarding can be denied when smuggling alcohol.

We have not heard about hthis happening yet and I doubt it will easily happen, but making an decision one should know the risk.

Thanks Captain -

Personally, it's too much trouble to smuggle anything onboard...my bags weigh enough just from the clothes and stuff I pack. :p

But if I did decide to try and bring something onboard, this board has been very helpful in that I know what could potentially happen, and I'm prepared for the outcome should I not be successful in my covert operation. ;)

Thank you all for the info. You've been quite helpful. Until I started looking at Cruise Critics, I had never heard about the Wine and Dine package or Shelly. Needless to say, since it's our honeymoon and a very special trip for us, I don't think we should risk "smuggling" alcohol on board. Not only can we run into trouble with boarding, but there is always the possibility of springing a leak and ruining our clothes! I've been in contact with Shelly and definitely plan on trying to place an order through her for a few items, and we will likely also order the Wine and Dine package, as well. Although neither are perfect options, they appear to be the all-around safest and most economical methods. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure as the trip gets closer I will have many more questions and will be relying on all of your great advice :D

We ordered from Shelley and everything was delivered as promised. RCCL gave us no problems at all. The first night we asked our waiter if we could bring a bottle down and he said yes. No corkage fee was charged (though if that was policy or luck I wasnt about to ask!)

How can we contact Shelley from just because? Thanks

Just Because of You 800-882-9707.

Is Shelly and "Just Because" the same? Could someone post a number or website please? Thanks!

See phone number supplied by cruisecamp above.

Just got back from the Rhapsody and they are definitely looking for alcohol now. In galveston at the security and every time coming on the ship they had you open already opened water bottles so they could smell if there was alcohol in them.

Did you hear of anyone getting caught with it in their luggage by chance :confused:

Also, thanks for the number, I know it probably has been posted a zillion times, so I apolygize for not looking :)

Archived