Spanx -- No Thanks!

Ive got some spanx for under my formal gowns, i hate them because they are so hard to get on and off. I have just had shoulder surgery so my friend is going to have to help me haul them up on the cruise, lol. Lord knows how i will manage in the loo..lol

My husband got interested when I said we were E-mailing about "Spanx" until he found out it was an undergarment! (LOL) We also had this bit of miscommunication when I told him I bought new thongs for the trip! Too many Victoria Secrets commercials for him.....

:D

just loved your husbands' misunderstanding of Spanx and 'thongs"--men are so cute!

Having been a teenager in the early 60's, when even 104# girls wore girdles (or at least garter belts--remember those?) when dressing up, I am never, ever going there again.

I hated them then and I know I would hate them now--even though some say they are not as bad as a girdle. I have never been able to stand anything restricting at my waist--I actually get physically sick if something is too tight--and I will just live with a few bumps and lumps.

That's one reason I try to at least stay at a reasonable weight (no, I don't weigh 104 anymore) and keep on exercising. Of course, at 65, gravity has it's way, but I'm okay with that, or at least resigned.

just loved your husbands' misunderstanding of Spanx and 'thongs"--men are so cute!

My DMIL well past 80 and a little deaf and all blind was having a conversation with her chair yoga instructor. This beautiful youngish woman was entering a local beauty contest and she was telling the ladies that contestants could not wear 'thongs". Mom in her typically loud voice said " I don't see why they bother about the shoes when they let them wear those itty bitty cover nothing swim suits!:eek::D Many of the other little old ladies agreed!

Having been a teenager in the early 60's, when even 104# girls wore girdles (or at least garter belts--remember those?) when dressing up, I am never, ever going there again.

I too had the panty girdle from H@** in high school. My grandmother was still alive and bemoaned that us young girls never were properly dressed because we wouldn't wear corsets. She was a corset fitter by trade and just knew that my wedding dress would have been much more beautiful if she could have fitted my proper undergarments! Spanx with bones (or somthing like that) look a bunch like the corset except the corset had to be laced and pulled and Spanx is an automatic suckin.

I too had the panty girdle from H@** in high school. My grandmother was still alive and bemoaned that us young girls never were properly dressed because we wouldn't wear corsets. She was a corset fitter by trade and just knew that my wedding dress would have been much more beautiful if she could have fitted my proper undergarments! Spanx with bones (or somthing like that) look a bunch like the corset except the corset had to be laced and pulled and Spanx is an automatic suckin.

Yeah, I guess we should be thankful that we did not live in the age of corsets and 18" waists. Yikes!

I was going to cheat on this "anti-post baby pouch" excercise regime and just buy a spanx-like item (I think spanx are too expensive and I really only have a tiny pouch, but tiny or not I hate it LOL). Its $25 with shipping from ebay and it is a thong that goes below your bra strap. I don't want my bum/hips being deflated, and I'm an A cup- so PLEASE leave my itty bittys alone :p, I just wanted my tummy smoothed out under unforgiving dresses. I think I'll just order it and see how it feels- $25 isn't too much of a waste if I hate it. I'll give an update!

My favorite "under knit" undergarment is my second bathing suit over a pair of pantihose.

I started wearing my Speedos everyday because I have a weak spine and they really help me walk without pain. Loved the public look after I tried it for dinner one night. My dress flowed easily without all the usual lumps (and DH likes the semi naughty look after dinner.:o)

Dee

Neo, they are hard to find because they are always sold out, but Walmat sells a smoother that goes under the girls and down to just below your waist. Your bum is not compressed nor are the girls. I tuck mine into my under pants so it won't roll up. $17 if you can find it. Target sells one supposedly made by Spanx, but I think the straps are uncomfortable on that one. I think it was $30.

I'm older than all of you and well remember the 50's when I was thin yet decided I needed a girdle. Playtex made girdles that held you in but.... let me describe: they were made of rubber (or similar) and you had to roll it on, after you well-powdered your mid section. You walked like you had a rod up your butt because you were unable to move. Now the visual of garters showing through dresses -- panty hose hadn't been invented yet. When I took off this rubber bandage (over my 110 pound body) I had huge red welts all over my stomach. I was in my late teens or early 20's then and it's true -- the brain isn't fully formed till the late 20's. If it was I would never have put this tube of pain on.

Love Spanx.

• 3 weeks later...
I've tried, oh have I tried.

I gave up on the slimming panties.

I tried the briefs.

I can manage the pantyhose (with the feet). I found a Spanx cami at Nordstrom and tried it on. The stupid thing just rolls up on bottom. There would be no way to comfortably wear the cami.

For good measure and extra humiliation, I tried on a Spanx slip. I felt like I was trying to get a giant rubber band around me.

I don't know who is supposed to be comfortable in these undergarments. Maybe I'm too old and my manual dexterity isn't what it was, but I just can't do it.

Glad to get that off my chest (literally;) )

i tried a spanx type girdle thing on once. after i wrestled myself into it i felt like a stuffed sausage about too pop. i could not wait too get it off so i could breath. none of that stuff for me either. i go for comfort now. im much happier :).

I've been losing weight since October (down almost 20, still need to lose about 30) so I was eager to try on my Spanx, which I just did. Sadly, the legs were too snug around the bottom and the waist was too tight (I'm one of those egg-shaped people with weight around the middle).

I also have a pair of Hanes L'Eggs brand "Body Beautiful" thigh-high and high waist. They were lighter but again, the legs were too snug and the waist was tight- even when pulled up mid-way to the bra. These items will be staying home this trip. Maybe when I've lost the weight and just need "firming" I'll try them again. In the meantime, I'll be bringing a body shaper (Flexees) and being a lot more comfortable.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! Keep up the good work!

I wear spanx and I always ordered a size or two up from normal size. Don't have to struggle to get them on and they are very comfortable all night long. They do what they need to do, w/o being uncomfortable. I have a spanx cami and can't decide how to wear it...over bra or around, underneath the breast...anyone got an answer/comfort preference?

Neverthought

I've tried, oh have I tried.

I gave up on the slimming panties.

I tried the briefs.

I can manage the pantyhose (with the feet). I found a Spanx cami at Nordstrom and tried it on. The stupid thing just rolls up on bottom. There would be no way to comfortably wear the cami.

For good measure and extra humiliation, I tried on a Spanx slip. I felt like I was trying to get a giant rubber band around me.

I don't know who is supposed to be comfortable in these undergarments. Maybe I'm too old and my manual dexterity isn't what it was, but I just can't do it.

Glad to get that off my chest (literally;) )

Love it :D!

Archived