Spanx -- No Thanks!

I've tried, oh have I tried.

I gave up on the slimming panties.

I tried the briefs.

I can manage the pantyhose (with the feet). I found a Spanx cami at Nordstrom and tried it on. The stupid thing just rolls up on bottom. There would be no way to comfortably wear the cami.

For good measure and extra humiliation, I tried on a Spanx slip. I felt like I was trying to get a giant rubber band around me.

I don't know who is supposed to be comfortable in these undergarments. Maybe I'm too old and my manual dexterity isn't what it was, but I just can't do it.

Glad to get that off my chest (literally;) )

That was never my goal when I bought the Spanx hose with the high waist. It was to smooth out my mid-section to wear under my gown. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable though....did you get the wrong size maybe? At any rate, I liked the pair I got very much, it worked great. I plan to get another pair for my next cruise in another color.

That being said, I understand not wanting to sacrifice comfort for any reason *smile*....but for a few hours, I don't mind!

Jane :)

I'm with you. I think the material Spanx are made with (at least the ones I shelled out good money for) makes clothes cling to it, actually making what you're wearing look tighter. They might make things not show seams, etc., but if your dress or skirt is clinging to your undergarments as you walk, for instance, that's no fun either. Hated 'em.

I do not like Spanx..I wore them twice and I found them too hot and too tight. I spent most of what should have been an enjoyable time thinking about how great it would be to get home and get them off!

I would prefer to do a little exercise and cut down on the calories before ever considering them again!:eek:

OK!

I bought a pair of Spanx and haven't tried them yet! Thought I'd do that on the cruise?? I think I need to do a test run! After reading these posts, just envision a woman in a cocktail dress and spanx cleaning her house in Texas. This should test the "too hot" , cling and roll-up issues all at once.

Thanks for all the advice- I'm glad I can test run these. Also, if it works out, the tip about Target is great. These things are vey expensive, but I bought mine at the Nordstrom Rack - just $10.00

Ann:p

I've been losing weight since October (down almost 20, still need to lose about 30) so I was eager to try on my Spanx, which I just did. Sadly, the legs were too snug around the bottom and the waist was too tight (I'm one of those egg-shaped people with weight around the middle).

I also have a pair of Hanes L'Eggs brand "Body Beautiful" thigh-high and high waist. They were lighter but again, the legs were too snug and the waist was tight- even when pulled up mid-way to the bra. These items will be staying home this trip. Maybe when I've lost the weight and just need "firming" I'll try them again. In the meantime, I'll be bringing a body shaper (Flexees) and being a lot more comfortable.

My husband got interested when I said we were E-mailing about "Spanx" until he found out it was an undergarment! (LOL) We also had this bit of miscommunication when I told him I bought new thongs for the trip! Too many Victoria Secrets commercials for him.....

:D

Has anyone tried the Hanes brand for "pull um up, suck it in control"? I love mine, I buy them on-line from the outlet store when they offer free shipping. They are cheaper than Spanx, wear and wash well. The anti-cellulite ones give a really smooth line on the legs, stomach, and butt. The also have the body-shapers to wear with sandals.

judyandsteve: I'm just wondering here, ... are you Judy making this post, or are you Steve ? ? ? :eek:

I actually love Spanx - they do what they should for me, and that means smoothing out the bumps when I wear my travel knits, etc. Of course, it looks ridiculous when I try getting into them, but the tugging and groaning is worth the end result.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

judyandsteve: I'm just wondering here, ... are you Judy making this post, or are you Steve ? ? ? :eek:

I actually love Spanx - they do what they should for me, and that means smoothing out the bumps when I wear my travel knits, etc. Of course, it looks ridiculous when I try getting into them, but the tugging and groaning is worth the end result.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am Judy! Steve says I look good whatever I decide to wear. I guess 26 years of marriage has trained him very well!

Sorry -- I always sign my posts.

--Judy

I like Spanx, but don't like the price. Then I found out that the same woman who designed/makes Spanx makes a line for Target called "assets". Almost the same, but they run about $10 - $15. That I like!

I tried the Assets pantyhose a few months ago. I found them to be a little less controlling than the higher price real deal. They are about $10 less than Spanx. I didn't find them any better than a pair of regular control top pantyhose.

The thing I truly hate about Spanx pantyhose (I think they are called "All the Way") is that they run very easily. At $25 per pop, I think they are really extravagent, but I really like the way my legs look in them. I save the runned pairs for wearing under pants when they don't show.

--Judy

I have several pair of Spanx, I found that I had to buy a size larger than I thought I needed. The size on the back of the package according to my weight, forget it, I couldn't get them over my knees :(

I remember my mother wearing real girdles, that is something I could never do.

Spanx scares me. Plus, I'd want major control and suckie-innie so I'd probably end up with the OP's problem! Give me old fashioned girdles. MAJOR control with them!

I remember wearing panty girdles when I was in my early teen years. It was the only way I could hold up my stockings!! I was always heavy and my mom had me wear girdles. Looking back to my junior high school years, I remember having excruciating stomach aches that were attributed to the fact that I had an extremely miserable family life, but I believe the unforgiving hold in a girdle really made me physically sick. Thank G-d for pantyhose! They became commonplace by the time I was in high school.

--Judy

I just buy proper undergarments and foundations.;)

I've tried them--my current feeling is--If you are fat enough to need them and you feel comfortable in them -- wear them.

I think they hurt. :p

Just recently there were a multitude of articles written about red carpet walks and fashion for the stars. Several times I saw written that many of the stars wear Spanx to smooth their skin and reduce any sign of cellulite under those skin tight dresses. I hardly think many of those stars are "fat enough to need them" :)

If they hurt, you have purchased the wrong size.

I like Spanx, but don't like the price. Then I found out that the same woman who designed/makes Spanx makes a line for Target called "assets". Almost the same, but they run about $10 - $15. That I like!

That is a great tip. I am close to a SuperTarget when at work.

I just buy proper undergarments and foundations.;)

I've tried them--my current feeling is--If you are fat enough to need them :p

I'm really pleased I found these boards and am really enjoying following the discussions, but find this remark extraordinary. I wear Spanx under some of my formalwear as I am very concious of my ghastly stomach area, and they work for me. At 5'7" and 126lbs, I am bordering on underweight, and have no intention of having liposuction, even to meet Dame Delilah's high sartorial standards.

No other word for this comment - ill-mannered and discourteous to those who are not fortunate enough to be naturally perfect.

Annie

Walmart also carries items like spanx. I ran into them last week. Prices from $10 to $16. I got one that goes up to the bra line, but it doesn't have the connecting strap to clip to the bra. Anything shorter makes my fluffy fat bulge out and over the top! Thought I'd rather try it in this price range to see how it works out.

I lost lots of weight a few years ago. About 13 years ago, I had a hysterectomy which really screwed up my muscle tone in my abdominal area. My surgery left me with a long vertical incision.

I have lots of extra skin, untoned muscle and an almost 55 year old body. Losing the weight gave me lots of options for clothes, mostly knits, but now I have rolls and stuff that I'd rather not have. Look, I'm stuck with it. Exercise is not going to make it go away and all the spanx products in the world will just make the extra skin push into unnatural locations:eek: (It's got to go somewhere!) I think the only way that I will look firm and unfluffy will be major body work, which I am not willing to do. So, if you can't take the way I look without the help of painful, perhaps harmful foundations, don't look (or at least, please don't talk about) at slightly lumpy looking middle aged woman in the beautiful clothes who is seemingly clueless about Spanx!;)

--Judy

Judy, your comment about girdles to hold up stockings really hit home! When I was in junior high (early '60s) I remember tugging on my short skirt to cover the gap between the top of my stockings and the end of my panty girdle. In hot weather it was like wearing tourniquets on each thigh! Panty hose were a god-send. I told some of my female middle school students about this and they couldn't believe anyone would wear such uncomfortable clothing by choice.

I bought my Spanx one size larger and they still didn't work for me. I'm about a size 14-16 now and so sometimes I float between misses' sizes and the smallest women's sizes. I went into Lane Bryant and found a nice thigh-length smoother with light support and a high waist that you can wear under skirts, etc.. It smooths and also prevents chafing if your thighs are "fluffy". I wore it in Italy even in hot weather and was happy to have it. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't much. It's looser on me now that I've lost almost 20 pounds, but I'm taking it on the Coral to Panama this month.

Judy, your comment about girdles to hold up stockings really hit home! When I was in junior high (early '60s) I remember tugging on my short skirt to cover the gap between the top of my stockings and the end of my panty girdle. In hot weather it was like wearing tourniquets on each thigh! Panty hose were a god-send. I told some of my female middle school students about this and they couldn't believe anyone would wear such uncomfortable clothing by choice.

I bought my Spanx one size larger and they still didn't work for me. I'm about a size 14-16 now and so sometimes I float between misses' sizes and the smallest women's sizes. I went into Lane Bryant and found a nice thigh-length smoother with light support and a high waist that you can wear under skirts, etc.. It smooths and also prevents chafing if your thighs are "fluffy". I wore it in Italy even in hot weather and was happy to have it. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't much. It's looser on me now that I've lost almost 20 pounds, but I'm taking it on the Coral to Panama this month.

One of my gripes about panty smoothers is the bathroom issue. I can't deal with the thought of wrestling with my underwear in a lady's room stall! I love the idea of non-chafed thighs (if you remember real stockings, then you will undoubtedly fondly recall pettipants!)

--Judy

Archived