Rogue Wave or pics of ship listing?

The MICHELANGELO of the Italian Line.

In the mid-1960's, (don't know the exact date right now) in a hurricane on a transatlantic crossing.

Photos show the fatal wave approaching and reaching the ship. Last photo shows damage to the superstructure, including passenger cabins.

There were a few fatalities amongst passengers and crew.

1610784245_Michelangelo1.jpg.d6ee89a2426efe91dbfa5222a5bca3dc.jpg

1749972701_Michelangelo2.jpg.9a4a58d9134fca056619d5ba1cd9ab08.jpg

922592965_Michelangelo3.jpg.3ac5102207dd964b449bce48b202ca93.jpg

970883357_Michelangeloecard4.jpg.77037625825cc96a6502c6644dd08baa.jpg

:eek:

Triumph1.jpg

It's not real. Nice photoshop job though. :D

Sorry to come in so late everybody, just saw this on the main board page this morning.

If you go onto John Heald's new blog that he is doing. Read the blog for yesterday or the day before and he addresses this photo. He assures that it is real and he was on the ship when the picture was taken from the Coast Guard.

Does anyone ever watch Deadliest Catch?? That is pretty scary!

I do I do.. I love that show! It's really addicting. I think season 3 was on last night. Did anyone catch it? It certainly explains why crab and lobster are so expensive..!

Just had to ask..are you a King's hockey fan? If so.. glad to see you on the boards. My family are huge King's fan's..! We're hoping the Duck Ottawa series goes to 7 games..prolongs the season a little.. We go thru withdrawal's when the season ends!

Oops, will have to wait til next year. Huge SJ Sharks hockey fan here! Rooting for Ottawa tonight :o)

So, your Kings got Scott Thornton, my favorite. ALMOST enough to convert me, but not quite. Kopitar is really great though.

Just had to ask..are you a King's hockey fan? If so.. glad to see you on the boards. My family are huge King's fan's..! We're hoping the Duck Ottawa series goes to 7 games..prolongs the season a little.. We go thru withdrawal's when the season ends!

If you go onto John Heald's new blog that he is doing. Read the blog for yesterday or the day before and he addresses this photo. He assures that it is real and he was on the ship when the picture was taken from the Coast Guard.

If that is real and not photoshopped, I would be very worried about going on a ship that buries the bow that badly in a wave like that one.

If that is real and not photoshopped, I would be very worried about going on a ship that buries the bow that badly in a wave like that one.

I copied this directly from John's blog.

http://johnheald.wordpress.com/

Monday, June 4th, 2007...11:07 pm

The Devil Inside

Jump to Comments

I woke up this morning - oh, sorry, forgot to say Good Evening - Good Evening.

Right, I woke up this morning feeling guilty, I really did. Guilty on two counts.

1. I want to apologize if my blog of the last two days came across as being specifically uncaring to people of Chinese origin. Now, nobody has said anything and this just may be me thinking this but for peace of mind I wanted to say this. The only reason I mentioned her nationality was to try and portray the way she was speaking to me and the fact that her accent and her …..well……….size, made it a visual feast. I realize that this lady is one in a million (thank goodness) and does not represent an entire nation of people. There, I feel better now especially when I tell you what she did to Ken the maitre d’ last night. Actually, I won’t as I think it is time to move on.

Let me start by saying that there are few prettier places in Europe when the sun is shining that Cannes. We arrived at 7 am and there was a brief shower and sunshine at the same time, resulting in a rainbow which is pictured below. Also, here is a photo of Ken our maitre‘d who is having his cute cheeks pinched by a Mrs. Muriel Colebear whom I promised some champagne if she did. She did.

We disembarked 2,500 people in one hour and 50 minutes by tender and the day became hot and sunny, just as the guests deserved after the rough weather of the previous sea day. Since we were talking about rough seas, I wanted to show you this photo of a photo. This is of the Carnival Triumph taken back in 2001, I think.

We were coming out of New York heading to Nova Scotia and the seas were still very rough after a tropical storm had passed the area the day before. This amazing photo was taken by a Canadian Coast Plane. I remember standing on the bridge with the wonderful Captain Salvatore Rassello and we watched in awe as the ship held firm and ploughed her way effortlessly through the swells. Here is the photo and sorry for the quality but the original is in Dad’s office (shrine to Carnival) back home.

I don't have any photos, but I was talking to our bartender Marek on the Conquest and he was on the Ecstasy during the hurricane. He said that they locked all the bars up and he was on the promenade deck at his station and at one point, you could look almost straight down from the back of the ship to the front down the promenade on deck 5.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty tame compared to the storm stuff upthread, but it was "interesting" getting the pictures. This was off deck 6 on Celebrity Summit in January on the way to Aruba. You had to lean over the railing as the bow hit the wave, snap the pic, then run like h*ll before the spray soaked the camera.

5059k0l.jpg

These two were on the MV Explorer

ShipStormWave5thDeck.jpg

This one is very scary looking. Almost looks like the one from the Poseidon Adventure movie, just cresting a little lower. I have been on board when the waves were 18-20 ft, but did not even think of snapping a picture. I guess I will have to take a picture the next time.

This is pretty tame compared to the storm stuff upthread, but it was "interesting" getting the pictures. This was off deck 6 on Celebrity Summit in January on the way to Aruba. You had to lean over the railing as the bow hit the wave, snap the pic, then run like h*ll before the spray soaked the camera.

5059k0l.jpg

I am guessing January is one of the worst times to travel by ship. This is what I saw when on a cruise in January 05 along the Atlantic Coast coming back from San Juan. I was on the 2 level of rooms and the waves were at least as high as my window.

I have noticed that fall/winter does seem to be the roughest waters in the caribbean. The spring seems to be the most calm. I took a cruise in late October, early November and I remember being on the 5th deck of the Disney ship with waves crashing on the bow causing "waves" up to deck 9. I chose not to strap myself in that night and had major tush pain the next day because apparently I had been working my muscles all night in effort to stay 'even' on the bed.:o

The pictures and videos posted are amazing!! As much as I see of it, though, it would still never scare me out of cruising! :D

Same for me! There's a strange, perhaps morbid fascination in looking at these pics and videos. I saw the original Poseiden Adventure as a kid and have been strangely captivated ever since. Perhaps why I am so enthralled with cruising and apparently not afraid to admit it.:eek:

Happy and SAFE Sailing!!

Romy

Sorry if this has already been posted:

This one is about how the cruise ship started to sink and the captain and his crew took off!

And here is one to keep people a little light hearted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIWeEDSsF4&mode=related&search=

You may have to use your imagination a bit ;o)

That is insane! I cant believe the captain and officers could do that just leave all those people on board like that.

Archived