Carnival Drink Question

smiles32617

:p I am getting ready to go on my first cruise (SO EXCITED) and I have been doing some research about Carnival. I have heard that there is a 15% gratuity to your drink tab. That's fine, but I heard every time you sign for a drink, they tack on 15%. Is this true???

Any words of wisdom for me on my first cruise I am open. I am going on the Carnival Triumph.:cool:

countdown.pl?name=smiles32617&date=4-28-2007&image=vfin&text=FIRST TIME!!!!!!&ship=Carnival Triumph

Yes, the tack on 15% gratuity on every bar beverage ordered, even bottles of wine ordered in the Dining Room. I believe most other cruise lines do this as well - it eliminates the need to figure out a tip each time you order a drink or carry a bunch of $1 bills. I think it's a good system since I would tip this much typically, and the bar staff work very hard.

You'll have a great time on the Triumph. I sailed her to the Bahamas back in 2002 - be sure to grab a burger from the outdoor grill on Lido deck. So far, it's the best I've had on any Carnival ship. And welcome to cruising - I'm sure you'll get hooked on it just as we have!

I thought it was odd that they also added a 15% charge to the soft drink we consumed that was left in our room. I'm looking at my statement now and it shows...

IN CABIN BEV 1.75 Gratuity .26 Total 2.01

I guess it goes to the room steward, but grabbing my own can and opening it? I just find it odd.

Anyone recently take a Carnival cruise that can tell me how much a beer costs? I am not so much worried about what I spend (I am on vacation afterall), but I want to give my friend a ballpark for what to expect. Last time I cruise (January 06) it was $3 or just above for a beer (not including the tip, I think). My brother recently went on a RCCL cruise and told me beers were over $4....just wondering if Carnivals prices increased.

Anyone recently take a Carnival cruise that can tell me how much a beer costs? I am not so much worried about what I spend (I am on vacation afterall), but I want to give my friend a ballpark for what to expect. Last time I cruise (January 06) it was $3 or just above for a beer (not including the tip, I think). My brother recently went on a RCCL cruise and told me beers were over $4....just wondering if Carnivals prices increased.

Here is a link to the drink menu from a while back, but the prices were the same as these on the Pride last month. http://community.webshots.com/album/521755807XYeiOA

It is indeed 15% added to each order. We just cruised the Triumph on our very first cruise Feb 16 and it was wonderful. We also had no idea what to expect, but we are looking at booking the next one for April 08! You will become addicted in no time at all. I am looking at my final statement and a Coors Light with the gratuity is $4.01. Have fun! The bar bill for 2 of us for the 7 days was $276.00. Not bad at all and I had a lot of the drinks of the day!

Nellyann

First of all, for the person asking about beer prices, I believe a can of beer was around 4.50 on the Pride in Feb.

As far as the 15% gratuity goes, yes they do add it on. For EVERY drink you purchase. They even add it on when you buy a bottle of water at the gangway. I dont mind paying the gratuity when someone gives the service, but when you reach 2 inches in front of you, pick up a bottle and hand it to me, I think that the tip should be optional.

It really wasnt a huge amount of money by the end of the week though, even though I would have preferred giving the tips as I saw fit.( And, the bar staff that brought drinks to me on deck etc. would have gotten way more than 15% if that 15% wasn't already tacked on.)

Enjoy your cruise, and just expect that 15% automatically added.

:p I am getting ready to go on my first cruise (SO EXCITED) and I have been doing some research about Carnival. I have heard that there is a 15% gratuity to your drink tab. That's fine, but I heard every time you sign for a drink, they tack on 15%. Is this true???

Any words of wisdom for me on my first cruise I am open. I am going on the Carnival Triumph.:cool:

countdown.pl?name=smiles32617&date=4-28-2007&image=vfin&text=FIRST TIME!!!!!!&ship=Carnival Triumph

Yes they put 15% on - but always throw them an added buck. Then keep going back to that bartender - TRUST ME THEY WILL REMEMBER YOU! We sailed the Truimph last year (loved it) my hubby tends to be tight with the tips. Well he followed my extra buck advise and when he ran out of cigs - and ask the bartender how much they were - guess what - she threw him a pack for free! I am a big believer in Karma! TIP WELL!!!

Archived