Traditional Dining Aboard the Dawn: What to Expect

Sailfish

We are going to Alaska in July aboard the Dawn Princess. Until now, we have always sailed on the larger, newest ships with Princess and others. Based on everything I have read thus far, it sounds like the Dawn Princess is a beautiful ship and no doubt, we will have a great time. But I have a few concerns about our choice in dining.

First off, I switched from Anytime Dining to late seating in the formal dining room - a first for us. On our last cruise aboard the Diamond Princess in February, where we had Anytime Dining, we happened to walk by the the traditional dining room; we noticed that the first seating's waiters were singing and engaged in some sort of parade - it was baked Alaska night, I think. Is this a normal occurrance in the traditional dining room? What we disliked about Carnival and Royal Caribbean most was the fact that the wait staff put on a show a few nights during the week. I know a lot of people enjoy this, but we never have. And it's been so nice to eat dinner and not have to participate in this.

The fact that this ship has only one Anytime Dining Room and long wait times for dinner scared us into booking tradtional dining.

How often do the waiters perfom? We may grin and bare it for a few nights, but I won't be all that happy if they sing and dance for 10 nights!

Any input would be much appreciated.

Suzi

On our Alaska Cruise on Sapphire Princess - the Baked Alaska parade was the only "performance" - and it was much lower key than similar stuff on Carnival.

Don't think you need to be concerned.

The Baked Alaska parade is the only "performance" in the dining room on Princess ships. From what I understand about the other lines and the singing/dancing waiters (and passengers who are "encouraged" to join in) it's not the same on Princess. The Baked Alaska parade is only held in the Traditional Dining room because it requires everyone to have dessert at the same time - something not possible with Anytime Dining.

I agree that the last thing I'd want to participate in is a sing-a-long when I'm trying to enjoy a five course, fine dining meal. One more reason I choose Princess.

On our Alaska Cruise on Sapphire Princess - the Baked Alaska parade was the only "performance" - and it was much lower key than similar stuff on Carnival. Don't think you need to be concerned.

I agree.... I just try to sit there and enjoy my coffee while the parade goes on. Fortunately we have been "off to the side" and not in the middle of it most of the time. And... thankfully it is only one night.

HAL used to have us wear those silly hats in their dining room.

We have done 12 cruises and only do late seating traditional dining. I have always looked forward to the baked Alaska parade and looked at it as a time to cheer on our waiters and thank them for a job well done. They work so hard every night of our cruise and this is their one night to cut loose a little and have fun with us. It is only one night plus I really love the Baked Alaska dessert. Really worth the parade in my opinion! Relax and enjoy, you are on vacation after all.

Thanks everyone; I can manage one night out of 9.

We are on a waiting list - #12 - for late seating traditional dining, so there is no guarantee we will get it. I was told to visit the people in charge of the dining room when they open up the line for modifications - I'm guessing this will be a posted time. I'm not too concerned, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Suzi

Thanks everyone; I can manage one night out of 9.

We are on a waiting list - #12 - for late seating traditional dining, so there is no guarantee we will get it. I was told to visit the people in charge of the dining room when they open up the line for modifications - I'm guessing this will be a posted time. I'm not too concerned, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Suzi

They usually open up for dining room issues about 2:00 in one of the dining rooms. Check the Patter when you get on board. And definitely go and have a chat with the Matre'd (and be warned there will be a lot of people there). I was also on the waitlist on Dawn Princess and while Princess said the dining room was full, the Matre'd showed me the schematic of the room and there were a lot of empty tables. He should be able to accomodate you.

They usually open up for dining room issues about 2:00 in one of the dining rooms. Check the Patter when you get on board. And definitely go and have a chat with the Matre'd (and be warned there will be a lot of people there). I was also on the waitlist on Dawn Princess and while Princess said the dining room was full, the Matre'd showed me the schematic of the room and there were a lot of empty tables. He should be able to accomodate you.

Thanks; I'll make a point to go after lunch.

We have always had Anytime Dining while cruising with Princess, so I am looking forward to a more traditional experience.

I was checking out our itinerary and noticed that we stay in port fairly late some places till 10pm, I think (told this was typical for Alaska itineraries). How does this affect traditional dining? Do most people make it to dinner every night?

I am not overly concerned, but was curious how this was dealt with in the dining room - lots of no-show those nights?

Archived