Just bought this for my next cruise!

Wow, that really is lovely! And what a bargain. :)

Personally, I wouldn't want to distract the attention from everything that's going on up top -- the deep neckline, the dramatic shoulders, the embellished bodice -- so I would keep the necklace very simple, or maybe even none at all. You could be more dramatic with bracelets if you wanted, and of course you can make a real statement with striking clutch.

As far as shoes, I could see it going two ways: maybe a classic patent leather pump, but if it were me, with the flirty hem of the skirt, I would go with something strappy and kicky. :)

Of course, that's just my personal preference -- I think a dress like that could take you in lots of different directions. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the shoe advice! I also tried on a BEAUTIFUL Michael Kors black knit, asymmetrical hem halter dress but it was a size small and I think I really need the medium in that so I am going to try the other TJ Maxx near me. It was $50. (I almost bought the small but it did a bit too much bust squishing.) This dress and a lot of the others were from Bloomingdales. They also had some great Tahari jackets- tagged at $495 and selling for $79.

The bracelet idea is very good. I don't usually wear bracelets so I'll have to keep my eyes out for some pretty ones.

Thanks,

Barb

Just make sure whatever jewelry you wear will not snag the fabric; I am always careful with chiffon.

Great buy on this dress! I would wear ultrasheer black hose and a stiletto fabric pump with this dress and carry a handbag that had some texture.

What a fabulous buy!

Unfortunately, we don't have a TJ Maxx in Canada, but I'm going to Florida (Fort Myers) in a couple of weeks, so I can check there. Is TJ Maxx a discount store? Do they always have designer clothing marked down like that or is it hit and miss? Any other stores I should check out while I am there for formal/cocktail dress bargains?

Bonnie

Unfortunately, we don't have a TJ Maxx in Canada, but I'm going to Florida (Fort Myers) in a couple of weeks, so I can check there. Is TJ Maxx a discount store? Do they always have designer clothing marked down like that or is it hit and miss? Any other stores I should check out while I am there for formal/cocktail dress bargains?

Yes, it's a discount store, and in my experience it is a bit hit and miss! But it's definitely worth checking out. I don't always find something when I go, but I have found enough gems there to make it worth my while. Not all of it is designer clothing, you also find some mall brands like Express or Gap, but no really cheap stuff. Two very similar stores are Ross and Burlington Coat Factory. In my opinion, Burlington Coat Factory (which is not a factory and sells a lot more than coats) has the best layout -- more like shopping a regular store -- but I've also seen some labels there that I've never heard of, so I can't be quite as sure about the quality. That said, I've bought a few things there and nothing has fallen apart. :)

Bonnie,

There is a TJ Maxx in Fort Myers:

Cypress Lake Shop Center

7191-2 Cypress Lake Drive

Fort Myers, FL 33907

Phone: 239-433-3451

TJ Maxx is owned by the same company that owns Marshalls. Yes, as la_croisiere_s'amuse says, it is definitely hit and miss, but i I am not looking for anything in particular, I almost always find something. Another great discount store is Steinmart, and my DD swears by Loehman's (sp?) I have to say that I enjoy clothing more if I feel like I got a great buy. Another purchase I made today (Ebay) for my next cruise:

Barb

dress2.jpg.a8a0d7e2a856b8be8c316dd5832a1005.jpg

I love the Maxx!! Love Ebay!! Love Nordstrom Rack!! That is a lovely dress! Very pretty and elegant. I would agree about the neckline and focus instead on a great pair of earrings and a gorgeous bracelet. I also could imagine a strappy, satin style, high heel sandal.

Enjoy

A:D

Thanks La Croisiere and Barb! Barb, I love the ebay dress too - what a great casual sundress.

OK, I'll have to tell the girls we need to include TJ Maxx. With eight women going for a week, I suspect there will be more than one shopping day :D

Bonnie

The black dress is really pretty! Great price too.

Pearls are always classic - with that neckline you could do a standard 18in with a pendant or what I think is called opera length - something like 50-60in. Or double loop that long length.

If it were my dress, I'd put color with it. Maybe something like this

As for shoes - do you already have black dress shoes? Since your cruise is in July I'd go with dress sandals, but again, that's just me.

Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you just love a bargain? I took my college son to TJ Maxx today to buy a few things and saw this Anne Klein dress and WOW! $15!

I can't wait to wear it on my cruise in July! What do you think for shoes and jewelry?

Barb

you can borrow my black (rhine-type) stone set in black metal instead of sil/gld..chandelier er's and bracelet..that would be my chioce

Archived