Sunday Embarkation

Dlo7103

Hello everyone, I am planning on taking my first Alaska Cruise in 2008. I am 24 and it my wife is 25. It will be just us two. I am graduating with my bachelors degree in December but walk across the stage in May, so its a graduation present to the both of us. We are kind of on a budget but can splurge a little, our biggest thing is that we need a 7 day cruise that leaves on Sunday. We can leave from either Seattle or Vancouver. Does anyone know what ships leave on Sundays? I have found a NCL ship that does, I have never cruised on NCL before. I have been on RCL and Carnival, don't really have a preference. How good is NCL? Also does anyone know when their Alaska pricing will be out for 2008? Is it worth booking a balcony room?

I know thats a lot of questions and I really appreciate any help that I can get.

i did the NCL star last year, same route the NCL pearl does this year.

great route, includes glacier bay. the pearl is new this year!

new ship with a terrific path.

NCL's freestyle is a great match with cruising alaska. first thing, more causal dress for dinner, no suits to pack, no ties, no high heels or long dresses. second, the timing for dinner with the times in ports. you never have to worry about making your dinner seating, 'cause you don't have one! the pearl have over 10 different restaurants, 2 main dining rooms...works just like a normal restaurant, you show up, they seat you. after that you have a buffet, a 24 hour diner, 2 (no surcharges, reversations requested) speciality restaurants and then you have 3 or more (surcharges, reservations required) specialities.

we don't think we can go back to early/late seating after that.

this all started because we had to leave on a sunday, only day that would work for DH. had to leave from seattle (family in the area)

I too am going on my first cruise and it's to Alaska. We leave on August 26 (Sunday) 2007. We're traveling on the Noordam for 7 days leaving from Seattle.

I think HAL has some of the 2008 schedule out, you might check their website. I found the majority of the dates I was looking at was leaving on Sunday.

Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy yourselves.

i won't say you HAVE to have one, many people totally enjoy their trip without one. all the ships are great outdoor areas for viewings, plus they open a lounge or 2 for non-smoking in-door viewing.

BUT we really enjoyed ours. kept the door open at night (yes, it got cool but it was COOL!!) made for great sleeping. we had our best days on sea days. left seattle sitting on the balcony in shorts. for glacier view, if you cruise to glacier bay especially, get the port side.

the ships cruise that side of the bay, all comments from the park rangers or naturalists will be on things from the port side.

i missed the calving at one glacier, i was on the balcony and the ship turned to leave the bay. DH was top-side, heard and saw it. other way it's great.

I wouldn't cruise anywhere without a balcony cabin. My first two cruises I had ocean view and that was fine, I didn't know any better. Then I found a 5 day Pacific Northwest from LA to Vancouver on NCL Wind. Mini-suite for $359 each, after taxes it was $439 but couldn't pass it up. Then I found another Junior Suite on RCCL Empress of the Seas out of San Juan to St. Martin and St. Thomas for 3 night cruise for $518.

NOW, I'm spoiled, eating on the balcony, sitting on the balcony pulling into or out of port. We even had whales right under our balcony on the New England/Canada cruise. Seemed like they were performing just for us. I enjoy sitting out there to smoke and read. I would never go back to an ocean view cabin. If I didn't have the money it takes for a balcony, I'd wait and save until I did.

And I would never sail in an inside cabin. I never realized I was claustrophobic, but walking the hallways of the ship, riding in the elevator, and even sometimes sitting in the show room, I start to get a panic attack. I have to have the light and access to fresh air. Then I started noticing, even when I check into a hotel, I go right to the window or French doors for light and air. Our hotel in New York City was a beautiful old art deco hotel, but when I called down to the front desk to find out how to open the window, I was told it was NYC law that the windows all be permanently nailed shut. At least I could have the drapes open.

Archived