Smoking in the cabin, yea or nay?

Smartcookie

I posted this on the Princess board but think it pertains to all cruiselines. I read a "live from the Caribbean Princess" post from a woman who has an inside cabin that reeked of cigarette smoke, which I think is HORRIBLE for a guest to have to endure, and it makes me wonder why, in this day and age, with smoking banned in almost all closed public areas, the cruiselines even allow smoking in cabins?

I can see letting people smoke on balconies, on deck or outside in smoking allowed areas, but I really, really think that cigarette smoke is not something non-smokers should have to endure in their cabins, especially cabins without access to fresh air.

Are there cruiselines that don't allow smoking in the cabins? If so that is something I will keep in mind when booking next time, it hadn't occured to me until I read that thread.

Thoughts?

This is going to be a Hot Topic, as any smoking topic. Everyone will have their strong opinions. But as it now stands, smoking in your stateroom is

a little like smoking in your home, you may do so if you wish. Rooms can be

cleared of the smell. (More fuel for the fire). ....Let the games begin....

Something else....You wish to change the rules about smoking in your stateroom, and expect others to obey that rule, yet you plan to break the rules about bringing booze on your next cruise? How do you justify that?

While I agree that certain public area should be non smoking, I see no problem with smoking in the cabin.

I'm a non-smoker, but what I expect the cleaning crew to do is to ensure on the next sailing that no smoke smell is around.

I can't see the cruiselines setting aside some rooms as smoking only because there are some people who like certain cabins and book certain cabins.

If the smell is still bad when a new cruiser arrives, the cleaning crew need to look into reducing the smell or offer a room swap (if possible).

But you can't stop what someone do in their cabin. That's their "home" while they are cruising.

Like I stated, I'm not a smoker, but know quite a few and they need to smoke somewhere. It's their right.

Are there cruiselines that don't allow smoking in the cabins? If so that is something I will keep in mind when booking next time, it hadn't occured to me until I read that thread.

Thoughts?

The only one I know of is Oceania ...no smoking in cabin only 2 places on the ship to smoke. They have a "no tolerance" policy...if caught you are off the ship.

There may be others that do not allow smoking in the cabins

Lets see where it takes Oceania.

After four years they are still getting bookings ;)

So far they are usually fully booked but their ships are only 684 passengers compared to Carnival's ship.

Rules are rules, (and there is no rule about smoking in your stateroom) on

most ships. I'm sure the OP would expect smokers to follow the rules while she plans not to follow the rule. If your stateroom has a slight smell of

previous smoke this causes what? cancer?

I would suggest that if the OP has such an aversion to even the lingering smell of smoke that a different venue for vacation be picked over cruises.

While it is true many American cities and states have smoking bans and stringent rules in force, many other countries don't share in these smoking ban theories. Cruise lines attract pax from countries around the world and depend on those pax, as well as North American pax, for revenue.

I'm not one who wants to dictate rules for the entire world. Seems a few have tried that over the past decades and centuries. Didn't work for them, but it did stir up some big wars over differences of opinion.

Dianne

Oceania is very successful with its smoking ban, and any ship four times the size could clearly set aside 25-50% of its rooms for non-smokers without infringing on anybody's room style choice. One of the reasons Oceania is successful is the 'no-tolerance' policy. Confirmed smokers avoid the line, and I choose it because of the policy. Smoking on your balcony can get you off the ship at the next port.

Hotels have been successful with no smoking floors, and their numbers are increasing with market demand. Smoke tends to permeate fabric, and aerosal spray doesn't always make it vanish.

There should be smoking areas on the outside of the ship only where the smell and second hand smoke can "air" out. My daughter has asthma and it is bad when someone else's disrespect may ruin our trip. Not only smoke, but strong perfume too.

Here's a link to a good CC article outlining the smoking policies on pretty much all of the major cruiselines:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=225

I agree, I also have asthma and cigarette smoke, cigars, heavy perfumes, men's cologne, and aerosols are a few of my triggers. I have cruised once with no problems but we had an ocean view cabin. We are cruising with a balcony cabin this time and I am nervous after reading some peoples experiences with smoking on balconies. Most people I saw on my last cruise really respected others, I am hoping a lot of those people are sailing this cruise too. :)

I bet you a pack of tax exempt smokes this reaches 4 pages before

the end of the day. How come Oceania doesn't say anything about

their extream non-smoking policies on their web site? Should we also

have non-cologne and purfume sections aboard for thoses who may have

asthma?

Rules are rules, (and there is no rule about smoking in your stateroom) on

most ships. I'm sure the OP would expect smokers to follow the rules while she plans not to follow the rule. If your stateroom has a slight smell of

previous smoke this causes what? cancer?

Tic-Tac, this is very simple, my bringing aboard 2 bottles of wine in plain sight is A. Allowed by Princess, and according to other cruisers, even bringing aboard a bottle of rum is apparently overlooked by Princess. However, even if that weren't the case and I was smuggling the booze "against the rules", how is that bothering anyone else?

I'm not talking about a "slight smell of previous smoke", the poster in question claimed that the cabin reeked of smoke, they could barely breathe and yes, I've experienced rooms that smell so bad of smoke I literally couldn't remain in them comfortably, it happened to us in a hotel once, they moved us.

Just remember, someone stinking up a cabin they are essentially renting for one week is going to affect the enjoyment of the person who has that cabin the following week. It may be your home this week but it's my home next week, and I don't allow smoking in my home.

I don't care if you smoke yourself to an early grave, just don't make ME have to breathe it too, or live in a stinky smelly room when there is no way to get fresh air in!

Other than just plain smelling bad, this could bring on an asthma attack, cause watery eyes, even make people nauseous. When people smoke they lose all sense of just how bad the smell is and how it can affect others. IMO, that's selfish.

I'm not telling anyone not to smoke, but if they must, they could at least do so on deck in a smoking area.

Archived