Misc. Amsterdam questions

Greetings,

We have approx. two full days in Amsterdam. Because we want to cram as much into them as possible, we want to plan as much as possible. What types of flowers will be in bloom at Keukenhof mid-May (16th)? Are there other places to see flowers that won't commit us to a 4.5 hour tour?

Is there a place to store luggage at either the airport or Centraal Station?

Has anyone taken Viator's Amsterdam City Tour w/ Zaanse Schans, Volendam, etc.? Can you recommend it?

What types of tours, museums, etc. are open in the evening/at night? I believe Anne Frank's house is open until 9 p.m. That is one thing we've done.

Thanks for any and all answers and suggestions!

Hij!

First of all:

visit

Amsterdam Tourism and Convention Board's website.

Most of the questions can be responded there...

and buy a I Amsterdam Card. This can save some money for your excursions planned.

Baggage storage is on both places available: airport and Central Station - but airport is located 30 minutes away from city center. So you will loose some time if you first go to the airport - except you need to go for your excursions anyway southwest bound. Then you can just enroute check-in getting your boarding pass and continue with your excursion.

You are lucky: Keukenhof is only open until May 20. And mostly you will have tulips. But to be honest: it depends to the temperature etc. what and how much you will see. Today we are expecting the winter back again for one week although the spring was already here. Let's see how the nature reacts.

Have fun!

Regards,

HeinBloed

We have approx. two full days in Amsterdam. Because we want to cram as much into them as possible, we want to plan as much as possible. What types of flowers will be in bloom at Keukenhof mid-May (16th)? Are there other places to see flowers that won't commit us to a 4.5 hour tour?

Is there a place to store luggage at either the airport or Centraal Station?

Has anyone taken Viator's Amsterdam City Tour w/ Zaanse Schans, Volendam, etc.? Can you recommend it?

What types of tours, museums, etc. are open in the evening/at night? I believe Anne Frank's house is open until 9 p.m. That is one thing we've

I am in Mexico at te moment, but will try to answere some questions.

Keukenhof is still open then, but since spring is much warmer as usual, there mjight be less flowers to see. There wille be glass-houses with flowers.

Since I live close to Amserdam, I cannot help you with the tours, but they sound quite good.

At Centraal Station there is baggage-storage, but donot know any rates.

Most museums are closed at night, but Van Gogh is open on Fridaynight.

Like Heinz says, check the tourist board site for lots of info.

Also Key Tours and Lindbergh ofeer tours, maybe you can find them with google search. Otherwise wait till end of March, then I will be home again.

Hein Bloed and Ine if ya'll would keep us updated on how the blooms are doing, this is one of the things we where planning on doing while we are in Amsterdam but if all the flowers are gone we will have to go to plan B.

Thanks Paul

Well, if you love flowers, don't miss the flower market in the old city. I believe it's daily, but probably someone else can confirm that.

I believe Schiphol airport has facilities for luggage storage. Go to their website and search for "left luggage".

I'm not sure if it's worth doing a tour outside the city if you're only there for 2 days. Up to you, and it sounds like you've been to the city before. Last time we were there for 6 days and never made it anywhere else! We also did a day trip to Haarlem on another trip, and enjoyed that small city very much, just walking around, the cathedral, very pretty. An easy train ride, don't need a tour. I think that's true of many small towns close to Amsterdam.

Do NOT miss Keukenhof. We went to the event two years ago and I would go back in a heartbeat. We spent another weekend in Amsterdam two weeks ago and finished off the sights we had not seen earlier. The city is full of interesting sights: Anne Frank house, Rjksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, Ouje Kirk cathedral, canal boat ride...the list is long. The DK Top Ten guide to Amsterdam is very helpful. Have a great trip!

Cheers, Pam

Could you please inform me what Keukenhof is and why I should'nt miss it?

Keukenhof is a very large park filled with al types of tulips, hyancinths, daffodils etc, most of which you have never seen before.

As those are springflowers, the park is only open between mid March- around May 20.

Check www.keukenhof.nl and choose the english version for more details.

In the park you can order tulipbulbs etc, which will be delivered to your home in autumn.

It is about 15/20 miles southwest of Amsterdam, near Lisse.

The Flowermarket in Amsterdam is on Singel, city-center near Minttower and is open daily. By far not as big of course as Keukenhof, but it has a nice collection of flowers. Open daily.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Schiphol airport website:

Search Results: luggage storage 1-10 (21)

Next 1. Left luggage If you want to store your luggage for a longer period of time, you can do so at the left luggage depot at Schiphol. Check here for details of the costs.

2. Luggage handling companies Various luggage handling companies operate at Schiphol. Click here for a list.

3. Luggage trolleys Handig voor al u bagage voordat u vertrekt of als u net bent gearriveerd. De karren zijn gratis.

4. Travelling to the US and want to lock your suitcase? If you are travelling to or via the United States and want to lock your suitcase you should use a lock that is easily recognisable and can be easily opened by the American authorities (Transportation Security Administration of TSA).

5. Porter service Heavy luggage? There is a porter service to help you carry your bags.

6. Excess baggage as air cargo Would you like to be able to take more than the usual amount of baggage with you?

7. Your suitcase's passage Passengers make their way to the aircraft through the terminal. Their baggage simultaneously makes its way to the same aircraft, though largely underground. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol handles an average of 120,000 pieces of baggage a day.

8. Luggage sealing If you wish to protect your luggage from theft or damage, then Seal & Go will seal them in foil for you in less than a minute.

9. Maximum baggage weight Each airline sets its own limit on the amount of baggage you are allowed to take with you. Please contact your airline.

10. Lost and found When you have lost or found an item at Schiphol, you can go to one of the information desks in the Lounges and at Departure and Arrival level.

At the left luggage office you can safely store your luggage for up to one month.

The left luggage office is open daily from 07:00 to 22:45 hours and is located in the basement between Arrivals 1 and 2.

Outside opening hours you can request assistance via the available intercom system.

Charges

EUR 6.00 per item for up to 24 hours

EUR 4.50 per item for each subsequent 24 hours (or part of that) from the second to the fifth day

EUR 4.00 per item for each subsequent 24 hours (or part of that) from the sixth day until the day the luggage is collected

More information?

Telephonenumber: +31 (0)20 - 601 2443.

Ine,

You are a font of knowledge. Thank you. We 'll be coming to your fair city next Friday. Unfortunately just for a 7 day river cruise, so we won't see much in the city. Oh well, that gives us another reason to come back for a longer visit.

Joe

Ine,

You are a font of knowledge. Thank you. We 'll be coming to your fair city next Friday. Unfortunately just for a 7 day river cruise, so we won't see much in the city. Oh well, that gives us another reason to come back for a longer visit.

Joe

Hopefully your cruise also gives you an excursion to Keukenhof. Not to be missed in this time of the year. It is only open about 8 weeks in spring.

Friends made a rivercruise last year over dutch rivers incl. Antwerp in Belgium. They had great excursions to many old dutch cities and yes also Keukenhof.

Have a great time. The weather looks nice, maybe a little chilly, but dry and sunny.

Since this seems to be a useful thread, we'll add our cruise information and questions.

We'll arrive in Amsterdam on Saturday, 14/4, and will spend that night in a hotel near Vondel Park, the Owl. On Sunday, 15/4, we'll board the Avalon Poetry for a 7 night river and canal cruise that will, among other things, include Keukenhof. We'll arrive back in Amsterdam on Sunday, 22/4, and will spend that night in another hotel near Vondel Park, the Jan Luyken. We'll return to the U.S. on Monday, 23/4.

We're a bit intimidated by transportation. We seem to be unable to pack lightly, so we'll probably have three suitcases. We're sent emails to a few limo companies regarding transportation to and from Schiphol, but have not had any responses. Can one reasonably take the train into Amsterdam with that much luggage? Assuming we do get there by train, how much should a taxi cost to the Vondel park area? If a train won't work, can anyone recommend a shuttle or tour company that will actually respond to our inquiries?

The suggestions on what to do in Amsterdam sound great. Can anyone recommend a good, not touristy, Indonesian restaurant?

This trip was booked a week ago today, so we don't have much time to prepare. Nonetheless, we're looking foprward to wonderful Amsterdam (which we visited once, in 1971) and all the lovely places on the tour: Rotterdam, Ghent, Antwerp, Veere, Edam, Volendam, Keukenhof. Arnhem, Dordrecht, Middelburg, and the Delta works (not in that order). I hope we have time to figure out what do do in our free time.

Since this seems to be a useful thread, we'll add our cruise information and questions.

We'll arrive in Amsterdam on Saturday, 14/4, and will spend that night in a hotel near Vondel Park, the Owl. On Sunday, 15/4, we'll board the Avalon Poetry for a 7 night river and canal cruise that will, among other things, include Keukenhof. We'll arrive back in Amsterdam on Sunday, 22/4, and will spend that night in another hotel near Vondel Park, the Jan Luyken. We'll return to the U.S. on Monday, 23/4.

We're a bit intimidated by transportation. We seem to be unable to pack lightly, so we'll probably have three suitcases. We're sent emails to a few limo companies regarding transportation to and from Schiphol, but have not had any responses. Can one reasonably take the train into Amsterdam with that much luggage? Assuming we do get there by train, how much should a taxi cost to the Vondel park area? If a train won't work, can anyone recommend a shuttle or tour company that will actually respond to our inquiries?

The suggestions on what to do in Amsterdam sound great. Can anyone recommend a good, not touristy, Indonesian restaurant?

This trip was booked a week ago today, so we don't have much time to prepare. Nonetheless, we're looking foprward to wonderful Amsterdam (which we visited once, in 1971) and all the lovely places on the tour: Rotterdam, Ghent, Antwerp, Veere, Edam, Volendam, Keukenhof. Arnhem, Dordrecht, Middelburg, and the Delta works (not in that order). I hope we have time to figure out what do do in our free time.

You can take the train, but it is not very convenient because of your luggage. Besides you need onward transportation from station to your hotel. Usually I recommand the Connexxion airport shuttle, http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp but I cannot find Hotel Owl in their itinary.

Maybe you can send this door-to-door shuttle-company an e-mail requesting what their rate will be to Hotel Owl.:

http://www.airportshuttle.nl/services.php?ids=18

The price mentioned on their website seems to be from 2005, so check that too.

A taxi from the airport to your hotel will be around Eur.40.-/45.-.In front of the arrival hall you will find plenty of taxis. Be advised that taxis offered inside the arrivalhal, are usually not the official ones.

Or try this company, maybe you can have them pick you up. Taxis from the airport are usually more expensive then the other way around.:

http://www.taxiamsterdam.nl/

In Amsterdam you will find many Indonesian Restaurants. My favorites are: Sama Sebo (near Rijks and Van Goghmuseum), closed on Sunday, make reservations. Also Indrapoera on Rembrandtsplein, Tempo Doeloe in Utrechtsestraat and Aneka Raisa in Warmoesstraat (near Redlight District, just behind Damsquare).

Your hotel will probably also know other ones.

As mentioned earlier friends have done a dutch rivercruise last year and loved it. On their cruise various tours were included. Most dutch cities are real small to Americans, most dutch speak english, so you will find your way around. I am sure on the ship many interesting tips what to see/do will be given.

Enjoy it!

Thank you, Ine and H2O, for your fast responses. I posted the transportation questions as a separate thread before I saw your reply.

Sama Sebo sounds as if it is close to our hotel, if we have the energy to go out to dinner the day we arrive. Since it is closed on Sunday, that will be our only chance to go to that restaurant. Otherwise we'll go to another one, or a Dutch restaurant. We like to have foods that are hard to find in the U.S.

I will try both web sites, although I believe that airport shuttle is one of the companies that did not respond to my email.

Joan is itching to go to the flea market (bad pun intended)!

For those of you who have been unable to find a private tour in Amsterdam that can accommodate less mobile individuals, I wanted to let you all know that there is an option available to you.

I am a single woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis and was going to be in Amsterdam for 1 day. As I had never been in Europe and was traveling alone, I was concerned about trying to tour on my own. I would also be arriving on an early morning flight and would only have about 6-8 hours to see as much of Amsterdam as possilbe. I found http://www.seniorhollandtravel.com to be an excellent solution for me.

When I called the office, Wynand Vandiggelen answered. He is the owner and operator. He was very pleasant and spoke English (which was a strong requirement for me). We setup a pickup time at the airport and I gave him some information about the things I would like to see. I had wanted to see the countryside and such places as Zaanse Schans and the Keukenhof Tulip gardens were of interest.

My flight to Amsterdam was delayed and I was concerned that Wynand would not have realized that I would be late. I was very happy to see him waiting for me dressed very neatly in sports jacket, dress shirt and tie. He was holding a sign with my name and was very easy to find.

The rest of the day was a wonderful experience. We first went to the Keukenhof Gardens (http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html) and saw the tulips and spring bulb flowers in full-bloom. As I was traveling alone, I greatly appreciated having Wynand walking with me and providing education about the gardens and the flowers.

We had coffee and pastries at a small cafe in the gardens and chatted about many things. Wijnand was very affable and it was a pleasure to talk about his life in Holland.

After the Keukenhof gardens, we proceeded to a small village called Zaanse Schanse (http://www.zaanseschans.nl/). Tour buses go to this location regularlary, but I am sure those patrons who were 80 strong in a large tour bus did not have the same wonderful experience that I did. Once again, Wijnand was very informative and stayed by my side for the entire visit. We also enjoyed a local lunch of Dutch Pancakes (Do not think these are covered in maple syrup!).

Once we left Zaanse Schanse, Wynand drove toward the fishing town of Volendam. We traveled many small local roads and the view was dotted with small farms along the way.

Once in Volendam, Wynand and I walked throught the town and I was amazed by the local architecture and the clean, well-kept aura about the town. We then stopped at a local pub and were treated to some snacks from the barmaid as we drank some Amstel Light.

By this time I was very tired from Jet Lag and a wonderful touring day. Wynand deposited me safely to my hotel. I enjoyed the entire day ALL inclusive for the low price of 199 EUROS. This was for the Car and Chauffer/Tourguide. It was NOT per person!!

I want you all to know that this day TOTALLY exceeded all of my expectations and I feel that I saw more of Holland than I would have seen in 3 days on my own. I also feel that I have a better sense of the "real" Holland, not just the "tourist" Holland

For those of you who have not been able to get an exclusive tour... THIS IS THE ONE!!

Thanks MKTMZM

My mom and I are going on a HAL cruise. SInce I am already taking off so much time from work, I could not take extra time off to fly in early. So I have been trying to figure out how to see as much of Amsterdam as possible. Your post was the perfect answer to my dilema.

The good news is that our flight gets in at 7am. So if the driver picks us up at 8ish will get to see at least a little of Amsterdam and then he can drop us off at the ship around 4. I am emailing them now to get more information.

Lynn

Thanks MKTMZM

After reading your post today I emailed to reserve a car & driver for my husband and I. He has recently had knee replacement and will have another one when we return in May. This is perfect.

Thanks again to you and to Ine, who has been a help to so many people.

Alice:)

Can anyone recommend a good family hotel in Amsterdam? We were hoping to stay in the area near the Van Gogh musuem, but several hotels seem to have a limit of two per room. The Renaissance Marriott is one possibility, but it gets rather mixed reviews. Has anyone stayed there?

We need enough room for my wife and I and our son, a teenager who grows a foot a day.

Chuck

Can anyone recommend a good family hotel in Amsterdam? We were hoping to stay in the area near the Van Gogh musuem, but several hotels seem to have a limit of two per room. The Renaissance Marriott is one possibility, but it gets rather mixed reviews. Has anyone stayed there?

We need enough room for my wife and I and our son, a teenager who grows a foot a day.

Chuck

Renaissance Hotel is near Central Station, which is a different area (more north) then the area around van Goghmuseum. It is a nice hotel, close to public transport.

You might try one of these hotels,

http://www.amsterdam-info.com/Hotel_Aalders_Amsterdam.htm

or The Marriott Hotel on Stadhouderskade, which is not too far from Van Gogh. Also this hotel, near Minttower:

http://www.lecoin.nl/indexEN.html

Also Holiday Inn(near RAI convention Center) or Crown Plaza (near Central Station) might have rooms for 3 persons.

I hope this helps.

As the OP requested, here is specific info re Keukenhof (which I have visited several times and intend to visit again in early May). There was once an old castle/palace and its grounds have been converted to a huge park where plantings of all sorts of bulbs can be seen. The beds are in different arrangements - some straight rows between hedges, others with curves and dips around lakes. There are at least two large exhibition halls where you can see interesting displays which change frequently. An old windmill is in the midst of the gardens and you can climb up to its viewing platform and get a panaromic appreciation of the gardens. There are trees, shrubs, bulbs, you name it to be enjoyed!

The idea of hiring the car/driver sounds great and if he's available, I would jump on that!

Have also used left luggage at the airport and it is dead easy.

In fact, everything in Holland is dead easy - remember, these are people who repelled the Atlantic Ocean a bucket of dirt at a time. They are wonderful folks and I love their country!

Archived