Misc. Amsterdam questions

Thank you, Ine. The pictures are beautiful. I know we definitely need to make that trip to Keukenhof. I did check the ship excursions and they do offer one to Keukenhof. It is too late to book now before our cruise but of course once we are on the ship if it is still available we could do so. I meanwhile did take MKTMZM's suggestion and contacted the guide she had used. My question is this....For 399E he could take us out to Keukenhof in the afternoon with a tour of the Anne Frank house in the morning and canal boat trip. From everything I have read, Amsterdam seems like it is a do-it-yourself city. Would we gain that much from a private tour? Wynand comes so highly recommended. I am trying to warrant the cost! At the same time I know it would make the day hassle-free.

Thank you, Ine. The pictures are beautiful. I know we definitely need to make that trip to Keukenhof. I did check the ship excursions and they do offer one to Keukenhof. It is too late to book now before our cruise but of course once we are on the ship if it is still available we could do so. I meanwhile did take MKTMZM's suggestion and contacted the guide she had used. My question is this....For 399E he could take us out to Keukenhof in the afternoon with a tour of the Anne Frank house in the morning and canal boat trip. From everything I have read, Amsterdam seems like it is a do-it-yourself city. Would we gain that much from a private tour? Wynand comes so highly recommended. I am trying to warrant the cost! At the same time I know it would make the day hassle-free.

Why not take this guide for just to Keukenhof and back? Do it in the morning. That way you will have time to do the city on your own.

And no worry about (maybe) trafficproblems back to the city.

You donot really need a guide to see Ann Frank house and to make the canaltour. If you are in the city in the afternoon, you will be fine. The cruiseterminal is just 1-2 miles away, so it will he hard to miss the ship....

Ine and MKTMZM,

Here is a new plan....what do you think? Wynand is suggesting seeing the Zaanse Schans tour instead of the Gardens tour. I have pieced together a couple of his emails. I do appreciate your input. MKTMZM...you did both the Gardens and what he is suggesting. I wish we had the time but choices have to be made.

If you decide to tour in Amsterdam by yourself , this will be my advise:

Buy online tickets at Anne Frank and choose the first timeperiod (09.30 – 10.30).

This will give you plenty of time to walk back to the Central Station to take the 1 hour canal tour operated by Holland International. With this tour (embark at 11.30 AM) you will see the most of the city!

Around 1 PM I can pick your party up at a well-known meetingpoint (like the Tourism & Convention Board Office opposite the Central Station). As an alternative I can show you the beautiful Zaanse Schans (old hamlet with old windmills, cheese and wooden shoes making) and some lovely old fishing villages in the vicinity of Amsterdam. Unfortunately we cannot make the Gardens tour ánd the Zaanse Schans Tour. Then you will miss the boat. I advice you to go to the Zaanse Schans. You wo’nt regret. On our way to that sight, you will be surprised by the view of beautiful bulbfields.

Ine and MKTMZM,

Here is a new plan....what do you think? Wynand is suggesting seeing the Zaanse Schans tour instead of the Gardens tour. I have pieced together a couple of his emails. I do appreciate your input. MKTMZM...you did both the Gardens and what he is suggesting. I wish we had the time but choices have to be made.

If you decide to tour in Amsterdam by yourself , this will be my advise:

Buy online tickets at Anne Frank and choose the first timeperiod (09.30 – 10.30).

This will give you plenty of time to walk back to the Central Station to take the 1 hour canal tour operated by Holland International. With this tour (embark at 11.30 AM) you will see the most of the city!

Around 1 PM I can pick your party up at a well-known meetingpoint (like the Tourism & Convention Board Office opposite the Central Station). As an alternative I can show you the beautiful Zaanse Schans (old hamlet with old windmills, cheese and wooden shoes making) and some lovely old fishing villages in the vicinity of Amsterdam. Unfortunately we cannot make the Gardens tour ánd the Zaanse Schans Tour. Then you will miss the boat. I advice you to go to the Zaanse Schans. You wo’nt regret. On our way to that sight, you will be surprised by the view of beautiful bulbfields.

I live close to Zaanse Schans, it is a verey nice place with old windmill, place whre you can see how klompen (clogs) are made, a small cheese-factory and old houses along river Zaan, open all year. He states to include some old fishingvillages, maybe you are interested in that. http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

But................you will miss Keukenhof, that is totally different and I think more special. Besides Zaanse Schans is very easy to do by public transport. Take a stoptrain from Amsterdam CS to Koog-Zaandijk (at least 2 per hour), which takes about 20 minutes. Walk for another 5 minutes and you are there...

Of course the choice is up to you, but I would prefer to see Keukenhof, even on a shorter stay, see Ann Frank in the afternoon and make a canaltour if there is still time left.

I wonder why he doesnot offer to drive you to Keukenhof in the morning as soon as the ship docks.

Maybe I have found an option for you.... Check this website:

http://www.lindbergh.nl/product.aspx?prodid=769&TAAL=ENG

Lindbergh is a welknown dutch touroperator that offers tours to Keukenhof for Eur. 32.--per person. Tours to Keukenhof, leaving from their office at Damrak 26 ( that is 2 minutes from Centraal Station), at 10.00 daily. Tours last 4,5 hours...which leaves you time for An Frank and/or canaltour.

It looks like you can book online.

Hi Ine,

You have been very helpful in answering questions about Amsterdam. We are coming to Amsterdam on Jewel of the Sea October 1. The ship docks at 7am and leaves at 6. We would like to go to the Anne Frank House, see the Red Light District and take a canal tour. Can this be done in the time we have? Also, how would we get from the ship to all these places and then back to the ship without rushing. Would we have time to stop for dutch pancakes? Would be great if we could but would rather see as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Irene

Hi Ine,

You have been very helpful in answering questions about Amsterdam. We are coming to Amsterdam on Jewel of the Sea October 1. The ship docks at 7am and leaves at 6. We would like to go to the Anne Frank House, see the Red Light District and take a canal tour. Can this be done in the time we have? Also, how would we get from the ship to all these places and then back to the ship without rushing. Would we have time to stop for dutch pancakes? Would be great if we could but would rather see as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Irene

You will have plenty of time. Cruise-terminal is close to city-center, about 1-2 miles only. Tram 24 goes into town from there. For Ann Frank house change to tram 14 to Westerkerk. It will take about 20 minutes in total at the most.As you might have read in posting here or other links, you can now order tickets for Ann Frank house for certain time periods online. Check:

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

Canalcruises leave from opposite Centraal Station (1 mile from cruise-terminal) and also other places.

If you like to include more museums, the canalmusaeumboat can be an option too.

Red light district is just east of Damrak, the main street going down from CS at Oude zijds Voorburgwal and also around "Oude Kerk" at B4, That church if open is also worth a visit.

Check maps B4 and B5 of this site, to see how close it all is together.

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

To all Tulip-Loving cruisers:

It's time to pack your bags and to start to Europe before you might miss the wonderful weather and the first tulips in the gardens...

Tulips3-vi.jpg

Just a greeting for the start of the weekend - and for those cruisers who will miss it...

Have a nice weekend - we'll have one in Central Europe as we expect our first Summer weekend (temperature more than 25°C) in April already!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. Due to your comments I will try to find a way to go to Keukenhof when we call Amsterdam with the JEWEL OF THE SEAS on May 20, 2007.

Your comments make me curious that I want to see it myself. I always thought that's more for my grandmother and mother. Thanks for all comments!!!

<<<N.B. Due to your comments I will try to find a way to go to Keukenhof when we call Amsterdam with the JEWEL OF THE SEAS on May 20, 2007.

Your comments make me curious that I want to see it myself. I always thought that's more for my grandmother and mother. Thanks for all comments!!!>>>

With the present high temperatures (feels like SUMMER instead of spring!), you will hardly find any more blooming flowers end of May...

Last year Keukenhof stayed open an extra week due to the cold spring, but I really have my doubts what will be blooming this time late May!

And it is not just for your mother or grandmother (although mine loved it..), it is really worth a visit if you like tulips etc. You will find colors and seizes you have never seen before..

But again..I think your visit this year is a little too late in the season.

An alternative is already prepared...

We will visit a village which is named after a HAL-Ship...

VEENDAM...

So anyhow I am sure we will have enough occassions to "kill" the time while we are staying overnight in Amsterdam!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

An alternative is already prepared...

We will visit a village which is named after a HAL-Ship...

VEENDAM...

So anyhow I am sure we will have enough occassions to "kill" the time while we are staying overnight in Amsterdam!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

The only reason I can think of for visiting veendam is you have friends or family there...

It is not on the list of "what to see or do"...but who knows how nice it is. Never been there.

There is a small group of us arriving in May on the Century (I have seen your posts on our roll call). We are staying several days post cruise and are considering renting a car and doing some touring on our own. One afternoon we would like to go south of Amsterdam and the next day north. Could you give me a list of "must sees" in both those directions.

Thanks in advance.

Deb

Ine:

We are considering two possibilities for canal cruises. One would be the Holland one you mentioned. I understand they have recorded commentary during the cruise. Do you know the cost and how long that cruises lasts? I assume with this option we would make a circuit and return to where we boarded initially.

Our other possibility was the Canal Bus Hop On and Hop Off. Do they have narration? Live or recorded?

We are in port from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. but, of course, we need to be back on the ship by 5:30 p.m. Would one of the above options be better for us over the other?

Thanks for your many comments. It helps take the "unknown" out of a lot of planning. Port stops are so hurried and we want to make the most of the short amount of time we have.

There is a small group of us arriving in May on the Century (I have seen your posts on our roll call). We are staying several days post cruise and are considering renting a car and doing some touring on our own. One afternoon we would like to go south of Amsterdam and the next day north. Could you give me a list of "must sees" in both those directions.

Thanks in advance.

Deb

Traffic isnot that relaxed as it is in the USA in NL. We are a very crowded country, be aware of that. Also travelling by train can be an option, trains run frequent into all directions. (For The Hague and Delft, train might be better, also for Zaanse Schans or Zuiderzeemuseum, so here under).

Anyway, travelling south of Amsterdam (I donot know what you are interested in), but interesting is:

Heemstede:Cruqiusmuseum, see how parts of NL were kept dry in the old days. (I cannot find a english website, this gives an idea -)

http://www.cruquiusmuseum.nl/informatie.htm

Since you will be here in May, visit Keukenhof in Lisse. Most amazing tulips and other flowers there,:http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html

Open till May 20, but flowers bloom early this year because it is warmer then usual)

Further south: The Hague and of course Delft. Both interesting cities. In The Hague- try to make reservations (or if you are lucke you can join a group) to visit Peacepalace.

http://www.vredespaleis.nl/showpage.asp?pag_id=1

On sunny days: Scheveningen, the seaside resort.

Delft: The church on Marktplein, whre the dutch royals are buried. Apart from that the city is beautiful and visit Porceleyne Fles, where Delft Blue is made:http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

Travelling north: Zaanse Schans:http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

(Can be done by public transport too). The old villages at IJsselmeer (Once Zuiderzee) Volendam and Marken. Drive or take a bus to Volendam, walk around and from there make the boattrip to marken.

http://www.vvvvolendam.nl/index.php?id=637

More north near Enkhuizen: Zuiderzeemuseum. All about the old fishervillages around the old Zuiderzee in a openair museum. Park the car, entrace is by ship.

http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/english/

I hope this is what you are looking for.If not, let me know what you intend to see or do.

Ine:

We are considering two possibilities for canal cruises. One would be the Holland one you mentioned. I understand they have recorded commentary during the cruise. Do you know the cost and how long that cruises lasts? I assume with this option we would make a circuit and return to where we boarded initially. Our other possibility was the Canal Bus Hop On and Hop Off. Do they have narration? Live or recorded?

We are in port from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. but, of course, we need to be back on the ship by 5:30 p.m. Would one of the above options be better for us over the other?

Thanks for your many comments. It helps take the "unknown" out of a lot of planning. Port stops are so hurried and we want to make the most of the short amount of time we have.

As far as I know most (if not all) companies have recorded messages (but a live captain). It tells you all in dutch, english, german and sometimes also spanish. Sometimes the captain also points out special items along the trip.It works out great, only I prefer live, but I donot know if there are live guides anymore.. Near Centraal Station you will find: Holland International, Lovers and others. On Rokin: Rederij Kooy. Also from other spots in the city those trips are made.

I usual take the regular boattrip with my guests. You make the tour in about 1 hour.

As far as I know the canalbus, just sails its schedules and probably will give little or none explanation. The advantage is you can hop on/off at the points you want to visit.

http://www.canal.nl/en/theme.php?theme_id=3

For both option you have plenty of time to also see more of the city.

Most helpful, as usual, thank you Ine. We have a full day tour of the Keukenhof gardens and whatever else we can squeeze in arranged for the day we disembark. Then over the next 2 days we want to see as much of the area as we can. Thanks again,

Deb

Ine I see that you are enjoying warm springlike temperatures in Amsterdam. Now I am a bit confused as to what I will pack. I thought the temperatures (May 17th) when we arrived would be in the 40's at night and 50's during the day. I think the 70's that you are having now are highly unusual, correct?

Also, I know you told me before that I can take the train from the airport (all underground) to the central station and from central station take another train to the cruise ship terminal. I believe you said it was one or two miles. I do not recall the train numbers and tried to go back and look it up but was unable to find the information you gave me previously. I know I will need euros to ride the train. Do they sell transfers or will I be purchasing two individual tickets and approximately how many euros will this be? I am arriving separately from my traveling companion and will be alone arriving (if the plane is on time) at 8:05 AM. Wanted to go to the Anne Frank House but am concerned about traveling in a strange city alone with suitcases so will go directly to the cruise terminal even though I probably will not be able to board when I get there.

Thanks again for all of your helpful advice.

Diane

I would like to hear your feedback on the Poetry river cruise. I'm scheduled for the Sunday 29/4 departure from Amsterdam.

I am sorry I know little about rivercruises. Maybe you can try it again on that section?

I can onyl tell you most rivercruiseships dock around Amsterdam Centraal Station, mostly walking distance to city-center.

Ine I see that you are enjoying warm springlike temperatures in Amsterdam. Now I am a bit confused as to what I will pack. I thought the temperatures (May 17th) when we arrived would be in the 40's at night and 50's during the day. I think the 70's that you are having now are highly unusual, correct?

Also, I know you told me before that I can take the train from the airport (all underground) to the central station and from central station take another train to the cruise ship terminal. I believe you said it was one or two miles. I do not recall the train numbers and tried to go back and look it up but was unable to find the information you gave me previously. I know I will need euros to ride the train. Do they sell transfers or will I be purchasing two individual tickets and approximately how many euros will this be? I am arriving separately from my traveling companion and will be alone arriving (if the plane is on time) at 8:05 AM. Wanted to go to the Anne Frank House but am concerned about traveling in a strange city alone with suitcases so will go directly to the cruise terminal even though I probably will not be able to board when I get there.

Thanks again for all of your helpful advice.

Diane

Weatherlike this is the warmest time for over more then 100 years ago!! Feels like spring didnot come, but as of tomorrow temps. are going down again.

May in general is what you say, although during the day I would say around 60s. So bring a windbreaker, a sweater and an umbrella. Weather can be very unstable.

You better go to the cruise-terminal first, maybe checkin and return to city-center. Suitcases are often checked in real early, there are lockers for smaller handluggage too. Suitcases and larger purses are not allowed in An Frankhouse.

From the airport you can indedd take the train, follow the signs when you are in the arrivalhall after collecting luggage and passing customs. You will see many shops etc., and the signs for the trainstation. Tickets can be bought in the machines (one way to Centraal Station).(Watch your belonging at all time in the train!)

From Centraal Station to the terminal take TRAM- streetcar -(not train) nbr. 25 to the terminal (look for the right one, it goes 2 ways!).

Single tickets can be bought in the tram, also daytickets. Opposite CS there is a white wooden building where you can get a "strippenkaart", card on which you pay the tram in sections and the card can be used for more then 1 person.

From Centraal Station to the terminal take TRAM- streetcar -(not train) nbr. 25 to the terminal (look for the right one, it goes 2 ways!).

May I add some information.

When you arrive from Airport you follow this sign to get downstairs:

2007AMSCS-vi.jpg

If you follow towards track 15 to the North-Exit (Noord):

you'll arrive here:

2007AMSCSPT-vi.jpg

The "high" building is the Concert Hall, Mövenpick-Hotel incl. Passenger Terminal (Cruise Terminal). About 12 minutes walking time. Small bridge (no stairs - only ramp) enroute.

If you follow to the exit towards track 1 you are in the front the station.

Now you better click on this link and have a look to this map.

The tracks are like a "heart" so facing to station building you must get to the right "half of the heart".

In front of the East-entrance (Oostingang) you find at the first tram-track 25 (only Pres. Kennedylaan) and 26.

The 25 to the station starts more east of this place and shows 25 PTA (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam).

25 goes 4 times per hour.

But there is also 26 which starts just in front of the station 6 times per hour towards Ijburg.

After one stop you get here (Muziekgebouw Bimhuis):

2007AMSMusikgeb-vi.jpg

You are opposite of the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam. 25 and 26 are both stopping here.

Only 25 continues for one more stop the turn-around-loop which is 30 seconds walking distance closer to the entrance of PTA.

So at Centraal Station you have to walk the difference more to the 25 and are closer to PTA while you are closer to 26 at the station and a little more distance to PTA.

The single ticket for the tram 1.60 EUR and available with the driver.

Regards,

HeinBloed

With luggage I think you are better off taking nr. 25.with final destination Cruise-terminal., that is the most convenient.

Take the exits to centrum, not north unless you plan to walk to the terminal.

As the other trams continue to IJburg, it can mean the tram has more passengers and less room.

With luggage I think you are better off taking nr. 25.with final destination Cruise-terminal., that is the most convenient.

Take the exits to centrum, not north unless you plan to walk to the terminal.

As the other trams continue to IJburg, it can mean the tram has more passengers and less room.

from Central Station to PTA:

25 came already full from city center

while 26 is empty as this is the terminal!

All stairs/ramp from Muziekgebouw Bimhuis goes down you have only to cross a traffic light.

from PTA to Central Station:

26 came already full from Ijburg

while 25 is empty as this is the terminal!

No ramp if you go to the left - even.

But only 4 trams per hour while

from Muziekgebouw Bimhuis 10 trams (25 + 26) starts to Central Station

Regards,

HeinBloed

from Central Station to PTA:

25 came already full from city center

while 26 is empty as this is the terminal!

All stairs/ramp from Muziekgebouw Bimhuis goes down you have only to cross a traffic light.

from PTA to Central Station:

26 came already full from Ijburg

while 25 is empty as this is the terminal!

No ramp if you go to the left - even.

But only 4 trams per hour while

from Muziekgebouw Bimhuis 10 trams (25 + 26) starts to Central Station

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sorry Heinz, I think you make it all more confusing, unstead of making it more clear...

Since 25 starts and (from city-center) ends at the cruise-terminal, it is the most simple connection. By throwing in all kind of different numbers of trams that come and go to different destinations, it may sounds more convenient, but I think it doesnot.

We are 4 people arriving about 7:30 am and then boarding the Century. Should we just take a cab from the airport or are we better off taking the train and then a cab from the train station? Would we have much traffic by cab the whole way?

Archived