Timeshare tours

Why would you waste your valuable time doing that? My husband sells timeshare here in WIlliamsburg, VA and I wish the moochers who want to get something would stay away.... this is how he earns his living. No pay unless he makes a sale. By doing what you are doing with no intention of buying is stopping the salesperson from earning a living.

We own several timeshares and would take the tour to see what the resort has to offer - so we would know if that is somewhere we would like to exchange into. We would not take the tour for what we could "get".

Inshape, I have attended several time share presentations. Most of which I have been mislead or manipulated into attending by offer of some Great Prize. It really makes me angry when the sales person then gets all upset because I am a moocher. The people who set up the appointments for most time shares know that most people would NEVER attend a sales presentation for a timeshare if they were not coaxed into attending with some wonderful premium. Please don’t get upset with us Moochers, with out us Moochers your husband would have nothing to do. The only difference between a Moocher and buyer lays within the sales skill of the salesman presenting and the ability of the Moocher to say NO!

Why would you waste your valuable time doing that? My husband sells timeshare here in WIlliamsburg, VA and I wish the moochers who want to get something would stay away.... this is how he earns his living. No pay unless he makes a sale. By doing what you are doing with no intention of buying is stopping the salesperson from earning a living.

So why do the timeshare people keeping offering the free incentives and gifts to do a timeshare presentation then if they don't want moochers. They are hoping that their usual hard sell will get them a sale. I get tired of being hassled by these people in some tourist locals.

I agree don't waste your valuable time and avoid a hard sell by doing these when in most cases you can buy the very same timeshare package for much less on the resale market through local reality agents who specialize in reselling these once people realize their true cost and worth. I've seen this in Maui and other exotic locals where you can buy these on the resale market for half or less of the current selling, not asking price, at that particular resort or complex.

Watch out for "RODNEY" working off cable beach! We were at the Whyham totally enjoying ourselves and he came up to us and promised many things he could not deliver. We were very interested in listening to what they offered. We love Nassau, and met some very nice people at the British Colonial Hotel. Especially a nice gentleman named Phillip. They offer some great deals there for time shares. Just don't let Rodney promise things are are too good to be true. :o They did make it worth our time, and also to make up for what Rodney pulled. Great deals to be had if your interested. But...If it sounds too good to be true....It usually is. I wish I would of listened to that little voice in my head.

You are right, but you asked does anyone know what they give? If that is how you wish to spend some valuable vacation time.... but my husband is a retired teacher, not one of those pushy salesmen. He gets presents at the holidays from old customers because he never pushed them into more than they needed or wanted. The give the incentives to get you there to give the sales person the opportunity to sell you on the idea. But to go with the only thing in mind is the gift while on a vacation.... Oh well. As far as resales, yes there are many, but many do not come with the complete package that comes from the resort itself. Where my husband works they give you free golf and if you buy off the property it does not come with it. There are differences too. No one to personally handle any issues. But have a good vacation!

Hey Gizzy,

Could you explain what you found at Ron Jon's? We are staying there for two nights pre-cruise and they explained that the only way to do this was to agree to a 90 min. "tour". We fully expect to spend 2 hours on their information tour. Is there anything we should be aware of??

You are right, but you asked does anyone know what they give? If that is how you wish to spend some valuable vacation time.... but my husband is a retired teacher, not one of those pushy salesmen. He gets presents at the holidays from old customers because he never pushed them into more than they needed or wanted. The give the incentives to get you there to give the sales person the opportunity to sell you on the idea. But to go with the only thing in mind is the gift while on a vacation.... Oh well. As far as resales, yes there are many, but many do not come with the complete package that comes from the resort itself. Where my husband works they give you free golf and if you buy off the property it does not come with it. There are differences too. No one to personally handle any issues. But have a good vacation!

MOST time share sales persons or the stand set up in various locations PRESSURE anyone walking by to come and see. If you didn't know better at first you would think they are giving something away. It happens near Disney World and at many, many other locations. I receive offers in the mail also that don't sound like timeshares until you read the fine print.

They almost get what they ask for. Most timeshare ads are a big comeone for the free stuff. By the way, I never go. Did it once about 25 years ago. We learned our lesson, a big gimmick. Sorry. Just my opinion. My husband, years ago, was in Mexico and heavily pressured to attend. Told them he didn't want to purchase and they kept nagging. He did go and didn't buy LIKE HE SAID. They were almost threatening him to purchase. I realize out of the US but still.

Just a bad feeling and not worth the FREE stuff.

On the same topic, when our 2005 cruise stopped in Mazatlan, there were TONS of time share booths where we got off the ship. We are absolutely not interested in purchasing a time share, and even told these people that over and over, as they kept approaching us. Finally, the folks from the Inn at Mazatlan said they know we are not interested, but they would like for us to spend the day at their resort, all-inclusive. We stressed to them multiple times we would not be purchasing anything, but they said it didn't matter. We got free roundtrip taxi, bottled water while in the taxi, and first-class treatment at the resort. What happened later on there is a completely different story, and unrelated, but we ended up leaving. All I am trying to say, I guess, is that many of these timeshare places in tourist locations KNOW you are not interested, but want you to come anyway. (I guess they are hoping you'll change your mind, but I don't feel bad about it if I've made it more than clear I am not buying anything.)

Watch out for the time share tour "offer" at Ron Jons. Very Misleading.
We went to one of the 90 mins RonJons one.........we were there almost 4 hours..............they would not take no for an answer.........well, eventually, they did cuz we left.........it was a waste of time..........we didnt even bother going back for the free night they promised........

now that is the real reason why folks cannot even give timeshares away.

We had a lovely 12 story all suite timeshare on Maui, $17K is what we paid in 1998 for an Oceanview. Then in December they wanted $400 more than the $600 we paid already totalling $1000 a year maintenance.

So we sold it, to a car dealer in exchange for a 2007 Tucson with premium package. Then we have to send the contract to the legal dept of the location since they have first refusal on it. Guess what..... THEY BOUGHT IT! They can resell it for $42,500. We get more than we paid for it + the $1000 maintenance refunded since we didn't use it in 2007.

Yes, I still got my car for the same price which was $7k less than sticker.

Plus $7K trade in on my 2002 Sante Fe. SO now I have a sunroof, heated seats, 6 CD changer with 6 bose speakers & tinted windows. I CAN CRUISE!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

If the timeshare is a brand name or recognized name I say go for the sales presentation if you are interested. Otherwise don't waste your time for a free gift.

Timeshares got a bad rap of the years, they were bad so they deserved it. Now there are a few good companies out there handling them. Marriott for instance handles their properties very well and they consistantly sell for more than the initial purchase price. So explain to me how you can book a 5star resort year after year and basically just pay the annual maintenance fees of 500-1000? Then if you wish to sell in the future, go ahead. With a reputable company you should get your investment and then some back.

These people that sell the timeshares are NO OBLIGATION salespeople. I took 2 timeshares in Williamsburg, VA. One at Kings Creek and one at Westgate. Both were no obligation as long as you stay 90 minutes (the 90 minutes is a lie anyway. If they say 90 minutes, expect 2-3 hours at the least). They are no obligation and give away free stuff, which is what the ADVERTISE. We got tickets to Busch Gardens and a dining gift certificate. The Westage paid for our hotel also.

I just hope that your husband doesn't work for Westgate. That whole company is a SCAM. I almost bought a timeshare at that dump. Anyway, the Kings Creek is much nicer, but I still love my cruises.

Anyway, there is no obligation to buy anything, and you still get the free things they advertise. But the only thing is, once you say NO, they fight with you, even though there is no obligation. That's why ask for your stuff, before you decide so you don't have to fight with them.

I wouldn't waste my vacation in the Bahamas, even though you do get free stuff.

(Also, if you ever decide to take a timeshare tour, STAY AWAY FROM WESGATE)

Everything you ever wanted to know about Timeshares (and more) can be found at http://www.tug2.net.

Timeshares are either something you will use every year (or trade for a different location) or you avoid like the plague.

As far as taking a tour, be aware the 90 minutes is usually 2 hours minimum and the gifts are sometimes worth it and sometimes not. If you have anything else to do, I would avoid the tour unless you are really interested at seeing the property. If you are still interested after that, pick it up on eBay or a resale broker. If its just for the gift, there are better things to do than sit through a sometimes high pressure sells pitch. OTOH, I have been to some tours that after I told them "Not Interested", gave me the gift and was out of there in 20 minutes.

Cheers

I live in Virginia Beach and get phone calls and mailings from Williamsburg at least twice a month. I swear if they wake me up early in the morning one more time I'm going to go to their meeting. LOL I can't even get them to quit calling, I wouldn't dare go to their meeting.:eek:

Hey Gizzy,

Could you explain what you found at Ron Jon's? We are staying there for two nights pre-cruise and they explained that the only way to do this was to agree to a 90 min. "tour". We fully expect to spend 2 hours on their information tour. Is there anything we should be aware of??

Go in prepared for the "hard sell". Don't get mad at the salesperson...they are trying to make a sale. Just be firm if you choose not to buy and if you are genuinely interested, then ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to negotiate. Also, read up online to see what Ron Jon resales are going for so you know what a reasonable price is (if you are truly interested in purchasing there). We ended up buying from a salesguy that we really liked (and still do!) and are very happy with the our purchase (however I think we could have negotiated down a little more than we did).

Sorry to the OP for not answering your question. It's a good one and I hope someone comes along that can give you a good answer. I know there are people out there who love timesharing and prefer for their land vacations to be in a timeshare rather than a hotel. I am looking forward to checking out more timeshares one day when we don't have two kids to lug around!

Time shares cost much much more then if you just booked the vacation at a four star hotel and paid for it. I never understood why people want to overpay.

There is a VERY BIG difference between a timeshare which is more like a condo, than any 4 star hotel room. I own one with 2 bedrooms , and pull out couch,full kitchen DR/LR. It sleeps 8 My son uses it more than I do, and so when he brings the whole entourage, it would have cost him triple to house all those people. Oh, I bought mine on Ebay for $4000. My yearly maintenance is under $600.

This year we traded it for Vegas to go to a convention, and rooms ( and I do mean just rooms) were going for over $200 a night. We had a full apartment, not a claustropbic room. so you can not compare the two, it is like apples and oranges.

As for the OP, the key to going to any timeshare presention if you chose to go, is ask if they sell resales there, which they do if you are interested in buying. I went to many of them in Fla, not to get freebeis but to decide which one I did want to buy. I am not a big fan of if you do not buy today kind of pressure, because under those circumstances, you do not know how one resort compares to another in terms of amenities and such. You could be paying 10x the going rate and not even know it.

Archived