A Day in Juneau and Ketchican

gernleaf

Think carefully about no tours. There is a wide selection of wonderful adventures unique to Alaska that are spectular. I also strongly suggest you have PLANS and not just be aimless wandering around- unless that is your specific "plan". :) At the least, do your homework, find out what the area has to offer. Look over walking tour maps and read up on specific sites of each port. Time is short and best to be organized and not waste valuable time, trying to figure out something that could have been done ahead of time.

there is plenty to do, but you might be spending more time looking around to see what you want to do, instead of doing it. while my DH and i had some things planned, the rest of the family planned very little. i learned my lesson...no more trips with them.

the towns are very cute, but you do not want to spend all that money to walk around a crowded tourist town? (sorry to the locals..the towns are cute and friendly)

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

While I agree that there is plenty to do, as you go through the different ports in Alaska, you'll start to notice that most of the shops carry the same product. After time, you'll forget which shops you've visited, as they all start to look the same.

Juneau has some cute local shops, if you're willing to hike up past the stores closest to the docks. When I was in Juneau in 2004, there was an amazing diner that had the small-town feel to it. Clearly, the locals used this place to get away from the tourists, and everyone knew each other.

As for Ketchikan, there is a bit more to do/see, but again, most of the shops carry the same stuff. While Juneau is the capital, Ketchikan is clearly a larger city. If you're looking to purchase clothes for your trip, which aren't covered with town names in Alaska, you can find them in Ketchikan. It's a great town, with lots of history. Just take a walk around, look at the totem poles, and you'll find the great charm this city has to offer.

While I've been to Alaska twice, there are very few cities that I would suggest using as simply "walking" towns. Ketchikan can be used as one, but most of the others leave you wanting more. I would suggest leaving the option open for an excursion or two, but if you're set on just walking around, you'll find things to do!

As for Ketchikan, there is a bit more to do/see, but again, most of the shops carry the same stuff. While Juneau is the capital, Ketchikan is clearly a larger city. If you're looking to purchase clothes for your trip, which aren't covered with town names in Alaska, you can find them in Ketchikan. It's a great town, with lots of history. Just take a walk around, look at the totem poles, and you'll find the great charm this city has to offer.

Juneau has a population of over 30,000, Ketchikan over 7,800.

More miles in Juneau.

Juneau has some cute local shops, if you're willing to hike up past the stores closest to the docks. When I was in Juneau in 2004, there was an amazing diner that had the small-town feel to it. Clearly, the locals used this place to get away from the tourists, and everyone knew each other.

Hello... May I ask where abouts was this Area???

Mike

Juneau has a population of over 30,000, Ketchikan over 7,800.

More miles in Juneau.

True, there may be a larger population in Juneau, but in terms of things to do/see, I feel that Ketchikan has a better tourist area. Just my personal feeling.

Hello... May I ask where abouts was this Area???

Mike

This area was up from Main St. If you walked a few blocks past the tourist shops, you'll head into a neighborhood where it's mostly local stores. There was a great diner there in 2004. When we went back in 2006, it had changed into a bookstore. It was unfortunate, as they had some of the best Clam Chowder I've ever tasted.

I wish I could give you the exact location, but I know it's off of Calhoun Ave as you head back further into Juneau.

True, there may be a larger population in Juneau, but in terms of things to do/see, I feel that Ketchikan has a better tourist area. Just my personal feeling.

If you want to just explore in Juneau, the best option is probably to rent a car for the day. There are some great places to hang out with the locals, go for hikes, picnic on the beach, etc., and you should visit Mendenhall Glacier. Downtown Juneau where the cruiseships dock is miles away from the rest of Juneau however, and it's hard to get around without a car. Downtown Juneau is great for shopping - it's just like being in the Caribbean or Mexico - but if you want more local flavor, you have to get out of downtown a ways.

Okay, we are severely cheap. Two years ago we visited them on the Island Princess. Juneau was great for shopping, going to the pub and the fish canning place. This time when we go I want to do a whale watching trip.

When we went to Ketchikan, we really liked walking around the creek street area. It is very photogenic and we were there on an awesome day. This time we want to do the same.

We will definately avoid things like the logging show or the bbq. But that is because we live in Victoria and much of that is routine for this neck of the woods. If you don't live in this area I would say go see them because they are really cool events.

Archived