Questions about renting a car & driving around ports of call

Sailfish

We will be doing an inside passage cruise this July and was wondering about renting a car. What ports would you recommend we do this and where would you recommend we go?

We have been to Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway - would love to go somewhere a little different. Not sure if renting a car is convenient - any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have reserved a rental car in Sitka, for my upcoming May 26th cruise. Not sure if this was the best place for doing so, but have already signed up for group tours in the other ports of call.

We always enjoy at least one port to do the "tour on your own" with every cruise we do.

Good luck on your search!

Cheers! :)

We will be doing an inside passage cruise this July and was wondering about renting a car. What ports would you recommend we do this and where would you recommend we go?

We have been to Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway - would love to go somewhere a little different. Not sure if renting a car is convenient - any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I rented car at Juneau (from Rent-A-Wreck) and Skagway (from a company I regretted using). At Skagway, you should definitely get a car from Avis if it is available and drive up to Emerald Lake. Of course, unless you are into riding a train there.

I second the above.

We have set up to rent from Rent-A-Wreck in Juneau. They are the only one that I'm aware of (through research) that will pick you up at the pier without charging you extra.

In Skagway we are also renting from Avis and driving to Emerald Lake.

Not sure about Ketchikan.

I have rented cars in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. Sitka probably has the fewest miles it's only 7 miles to Starrigavan.

Emerald Lake is about 150 mile round trip from Skagway. Print out Murray's South Klondike Highway log- he was a genius for writing it. :) http://www.explorenorth.com

Reserve your cars NOW.

In Juneau and Ketchikan- do your homework, decide where you want to go and do, rather than just driving aimlessly. :) You will run out of roads real quick and miss out on "hidden" activities.

I have rented cars in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. Sitka probably has the fewest miles it's only 7 miles to Starrigavan.

Emerald Lake is about 150 mile round trip from Skagway. Print out Murray's South Klondike Highway log- he was a genius for writing it. :) www.explorenorth.com

Reserve your cars NOW.

In Juneau and Ketchikan- do your homework, decide where you want to go and do, rather than just driving aimlessly. :) You will run out of roads real quick and miss out on "hidden" activities.

Is there a guide or book that you would recommend to research things to do? We have been to most of the ports of call, but would love to simply drive out of town and simply do something a little more unique.

Thanks for your input.

Suzi, The OP

Is there a guide or book that you would recommend to research things to do? We have been to most of the ports of call, but would love to simply drive out of town and simply do something a little more unique.

Thanks for your input.

Suzi, The OP

Request each city's visitor guide http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.skagway.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com http://www.sitka.org

We have elected to rent a car in Denali, Juneau and Skagway- Upon the advice of a member on the TourGuideMike.com website (Disney World) we purchased Milepost---it is pretty cool directory-mile by mile entries of all the major roads in Alaska-it actually is down to the tenths of a mile-this is not the exact wording but it reads close to this: at milepost 137.4 look to the left on the cliff you will probably see some dall sheep. at milepost 138.8 there is a great area for pullover and pictures- gas station at mile marker 14.4 and so on- we are looking forward to exploring on our own-will not rent a car in Fairbanks (landtour) or Ketchikan-already have plans that will take most of the day.

We have elected to rent a car in Denali, Juneau and Skagway- Upon the advice of a member on the TourGuideMike.com website (Disney World) we purchased Milepost---it is pretty cool directory-mile by mile entries of all the major roads in Alaska-it actually is down to the tenths of a mile-this is not the exact wording but it reads close to this: at milepost 137.4 look to the left on the cliff you will probably see some dall sheep. at milepost 138.8 there is a great area for pullover and pictures- gas station at mile marker 14.4 and so on- we are looking forward to exploring on our own-will not rent a car in Fairbanks (landtour) or Ketchikan-already have plans that will take most of the day.

As only a suggestion, it is difficult to get around Fairbanks without a car, a car will offer you far more "exploring" and better time management.

Archived