Looking for AK(Susan)

cruzingduo

Hey Susan, we are ending our trip in Whittier and fly out AT 10 PM the following day. So far we have booked an avis rental car at the port and have a 7pm raft trip in Chikaloon and a cabin reserved that night at Sheeps mountain lodge. Questions

1. How much time will we have the day we disembark to drive around and still get to our cabin for check in at 3pm.

2. What would you recommend for that time period and also for the next daybefore our flight? We are a family of 5 youngest is 13.

Thanks for your info.

Hey Susan, we are ending our trip in Whittier and fly out AT 10 PM the following day. So far we have booked an avis rental car at the port and have a 7pm raft trip in Chilcoot and a cabin reserved that night at Sheeps mountain lodge. Questions

1. How much time will we have the day we disembark to drive around and still get to our cabin for check in at 3pm.

2. What would you recommend for that time period and also for the next daybefore our flight? We are a family of 5 youngest is 13.

Thanks for your info.

Okay, I think you mean you're rafting with NOVA out of Chickaloon. If that's the case my Mom and I have done it and have a great time.

1. You're probably looking at a 3 1/2 hour drive (once you get through the tunnel at Whittier) from there to Sheep Mountain without any stops and hopefully no construction, so you'll have plenty of time. Stopped there for lunch last time we we're headed to Kennecott and had a very nice lunch. Plus some of Zack's sled dogs were out too. Maybe more prominent this year since he took third in the Iditarod.

You'll actually have to go back about 45 minutes or so (we're sitting in the office estimating this in our head) to get your raft trip.

2. All kinds of pull offs both on the Seward and Glenn Highway for those picture stops or just stretching those legs. Not sure what your interests are. There is the Visitor Center right there at Portage Glacier when you come out of the tunnel. There's a trail that you could take to Bryon Glacier. Pretty easy walk at that.

Heading north once you come through town, there is Thunderbird Falls. The spirit houses in Eklutna. The reindeer and musk ox farms in Palmer. The Matanuska Glacier.

Actually if you could get a copy of the Milepost it has all kinds of great information as you drive up our highways.

When you're driving back in town there's the Alaska Native Heritage Center, hiking, the Museum, just hitting downtown and having a nice meal and some shopping.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks Susan!! You are right I did mean NOVA in Chickaloon. Hopefully after I have visited all these new places I'll keep them straight:rolleyes:

We will be kind of toured out as far as excursions go so will be more interested in doing some of the things like you suggested. Short trail hike, heritage museum and loacl cusine is a must. We wanted to get to the cabins for a nap as the raft trip runs 7pm to midnight on lionshead.

I'll see if I can find a copy of the milepost in a local book store.

What would you suggest for a meal on route to retuning our car or down town? We like it all as far as food goes but seeing we are in Alaska would mainly prefer seafood. Thanks again for all your help, if you want to visit Tampa, let me know and we can return the favor :)

What would you suggest for a meal on route to retuning our car or down town? We like it all as far as food goes but seeing we are in Alaska would mainly prefer seafood. Thanks again for all your help, if you want to visit Tampa, let me know and we can return the favor :)

Hummm, seafood. You're talking to an Alaskan that doesn't like salmon but loves halibut and crab (usually can't afford those little multi-leg things in the restaurants though) :D

Downtown - For the places that would have seafood on the menu in some version, I'd think you'd be fine with Glacier Brewhouse, Humpy's, Rum Runners, F Street Station. If you want to splurge for that meal you could always go with Simon & Seafort's.

Out by the Airport there is the Flying Machine restaurant or the Fancy Moose Lounge at the Millenium. If it's a nice day, it's great to get a table out on the patio at the Fancy Moose and watch the small planes take off from Lake Hood.

You can go check out the dining section at www.anchorage.net and if you see any that pique your interest, just ask.

Thanks for the offer for Tampa information. Been a few years since I've been there (2004 and we stayed down in Ybor City) but I do enjoy your city.

Susan, Thanks again for the quick reply. I was printing out this thread so I could have it for reference on our trip. You had not replied to the last question but the printer kept printing. Too funny, when I looked you had replied and the printer just caught it. We would be more on the informal at that point of the game. I'll check out the web site. I also have just received the free Anchorage visitors guide as well.

All the best

Just a little note to piggyback on what AKSusan said, Simon and Seafort's is a fantastic restaraunt but very pricey and the portions are small.

The Sea Galley is always a good choice for families as kids eat free.

Humpy's has great food, but has more of a bar atmosphere, IMHO.

Celeste

Just a little note to piggyback on what AKSusan said, Simon and Seafort's is a fantastic restaraunt but very pricey and the portions are small.Celeste

Celeste, you're right about Simon's but have you seen their new offer (only good through 3/31 though) 3 courses for $30 after 6 p.m. in the dining room http://www.3coursedeal.com/3course_detail.php?p_rest=01_sim. Got our reservations for Saturday night, watch out hot dungness crab and artichoke dip here I come :D

Susan :)

Can either of you tell us where is a possible place we can view Mt McKinley from Anchorage? I read where it can be seen on a clear day from a golf course just west of Anchorage. Also any hints of must see sights in or around your area or on the way to the Homer area would be appreciated. We will be headed to Homer for a week then back to Anchorage for a cruise out of Whittier in mid June.

Thanks to all the locals and others that have taken the time to post on these threads, earl.

Can either of you tell us where is a possible place we can view Mt McKinley from Anchorage? I read where it can be seen on a clear day from a golf course just west of Anchorage. Also any hints of must see sights in or around your area or on the way to the Homer area would be appreciated. We will be headed to Homer for a week then back to Anchorage for a cruise out of Whittier in mid June.

Thanks to all the locals and others that have taken the time to post on these threads, earl.

The only golf course I'd think west of Anchorage would be Settler's Bay, which is across the inlet and over an hour's drive from Anchorage.

If she's out you can usually see her from a number of places. Actually anywhere that has an unblocked view north.

In downtown, The Hilton has a deck at their Top of the World Restaurant/Lounge. The Captain Cook has the Crow's Nest (Bar/Restaurant). The Captain Cook Statue on 3rd Avenue when it turns to L Street, Elderberry Park.

If you're out by the Airport, Point Woronzof and Kincaid Park are good areas too.

Drive to Homer - Girdwood (Alyeska), Portage Glacier, Turnagain Pass, Summit Lake Lodge for a bite to eat, Quartz Creek campground (great view of the Kenai Lake - glacier fed so it's blue-green and so is the river and a good potty stop). If the fish are running stop and watch the fisherpeople at Russian River.

Ninilchik the Russian Orthodox church.

As you go further down there is a picture pullout for the volcanos - Mt. Iliamna and Mt. Spurr and Mt. Redoubt and then Augustine closer to Homer.

Norman Lowell Gallery at MP 160.9 Sterling Highway - 4.5 miles from Anchor Point and 12 miles from Homer.

Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

You'll love Homer. I wish it didn't take usually over 5 hours to get there otherwise I'd be down there more.

Susan, thanks for the travel tips. I wish we had more time to travel the different areas of Alaska. With just two weeks ( one being waisted on the cruise :rolleyes: - I'm kidding of course ) we (or should I say she, very wisely) decided to go right to Homer taking in all we could on the day there and back.

Denali Park would have been a nice treat but my friend, that summers in the Homer area, will be ready to fish and she won't let him go out alone. I spent a week with them last June and barely traveled north of Anchor Point. I am really looking forward to the drive down this time as we took the Era flight last time missing one of the most scenic drives in America.

I guess if the conditions are right we might be able to see McKinley from the flight into your city. Again thanks for the information, earl

Susan, thanks for the travel tips. I wish we had more time to travel the different areas of Alaska. With just two weeks ( one being waisted on the cruise :rolleyes: - I'm kidding of course ) we (or should I say she, very wisely) decided to go right to Homer taking in all we could on the day there and back.

Denali Park would have been a nice treat but my friend, that summers in the Homer area, will be ready to fish and she won't let him go out alone. I spent a week with them last June and barely traveled north of Anchor Point. I am really looking forward to the drive down this time as we took the Era flight last time missing one of the most scenic drives in America.

I guess if the conditions are right we might be able to see McKinley from the flight into your city. Again thanks for the information, earl

Earl enjoy your drive down. I know even though I've driven it multiple times I still love doing it because you never know what's going to be out there for you to see.

Susan,

I'm sad we will not be able to have a meal at Zack's.

May I bother you with another question...

After we disembark, we'll rent a car and head to Whittier to do the 3pm Kenai Fjords Cruise. Spending the night in Whittier and heading to Anchorage to fly out at midnight. If we stop to do any hiking that day, is there a place in Anchorage to grab a shower before we have to make our LONG flight home? Short stay hotels or possibly a YMCA?

Hi Susan:

I would like to know if you have heard anything about the Blackstone

Glacier Cruise to Prince William Sound. Its a tour with an airport transfer

to the Anchorage Airport from Carnival. I would like to take it but have

not been able to get any information on it in the internet. Do you think

it would be worth the time (5 and 1/2 hrs.) and the money? $117.. I think--

Thanks for any information --

Connie

Susan, my husband and myself will be spending one night in Anchorage this June and in your opinion what are some of the things that we should see? We are looking for things to see or do just in Anchorage. Anything involving museums or culture would be of interest to us. Also what is your favorite local place to eat at? Any kind of food would do since we are not picky eaters, just want good food. Thanks for any help.

Susan,

I'm sad we will not be able to have a meal at Zack's.

May I bother you with another question...

After we disembark, we'll rent a car and head to Whittier to do the 3pm Kenai Fjords Cruise. Spending the night in Whittier and heading to Anchorage to fly out at midnight. If we stop to do any hiking that day, is there a place in Anchorage to grab a shower before we have to make our LONG flight home? Short stay hotels or possibly a YMCA?

With everything being so booked for the summer, I'm not sure if anyone does do day rooms here and then if you just have to rent a room, you'd probably not be able to check into 3 p.m., but if you could find a good price somewhere (hotel rooms get very expensive in the summer), then that could possibly work.

Here's the link to the local YMCA. Guess you could call them and see if you can use their facilities - http://www.ymca.net/yprofile/?assn=0153

Hi Susan:

I would like to know if you have heard anything about the Blackstone

Glacier Cruise to Prince William Sound. Its a tour with an airport transfer

to the Anchorage Airport from Carnival. I would like to take it but have

not been able to get any information on it in the internet. Do you think

it would be worth the time (5 and 1/2 hrs.) and the money? $117.. I think--

Thanks for any information --

Connie

Connie,

Found this link for you that shows the different tour companies that work out of Whittier doing the Prince William Sound and Blackstone Bay and Glacier are mentioned. I have taken the 26 Glacier Cruise with Phillips before (really enjoyed it) and I know I've had friends use Major Marine (was actually thinking about renting a whole boat from them for a conference event but the logisitics and insurance just became too big of an issue) http://alaska.org/glaciers/prince-william-sound.htm

Susan, my husband and myself will be spending one night in Anchorage this June and in your opinion what are some of the things that we should see? We are looking for things to see or do just in Anchorage. Anything involving museums or culture would be of interest to us. Also what is your favorite local place to eat at? Any kind of food would do since we are not picky eaters, just want good food. Thanks for any help.

Can you tell me where you are staying and if you have a car?

Downtown we have a very nice museum http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/ and I also enjoy the Alaska Native Heritage Museum http://www.alaskanative.net/364.asp and they do run a shuttle service from several areas downtown.

Let me know the answer to the first question I asked and I'll give you a few eating picks.

Susan,

Hi, Just happened to run across this thread and thought maybe you could help me out with DH Surprise Trip?

I''m thinking of flying into Anhorage and renting a car round trip (Anc to Anc).

I want to stay in Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Talkeetna, turn car back in when come back to Anchorage and take train to Seward to catch my cruise.

With never being to Alaska I'm nervous about doing this independently but it should be cheaper this way then going through cruiseline on one of their land tours as well as independently we can take our time and not be crowded.

I love people but this is a special surprise gift to my husband since for years he's wanted to go to Alaska and we've gone everywhere but there and I want to share our adventure getting everywhere by ourselves but I'm really nervous. Don't want anything to go wrong. Whew!

I will be flying in to Anchorage maybe on a Wednesday or Thursday. Will arrive between 8:30PM to 12.00AM (depending on which flight I take)

With it being that late I'll stay overnight in Anchorage (Somewhere), get a rental car (Somewhere in Anc), then head to my first destination (which 1?), come back to Anchorage, turn car in and stay another night maybe and then on train to Seward for a night or two.

Ok, I know that I'm trying to squeeze in alot but do you have any suggestions from start to finish of how I should do the 8/9 night CJ's Big Adventure? Remember whether it is going to be 8 or 9 night depends when we leave from home, but the first night will be a waste to do anything b/c we're gonna be so tired ,so like I said we'll be crashing some where in Anchorage. Where's best place and how far from rental cars?

How long will it take to get to each place? I understand we'll be stopping to sightsee/maybe excursions, eat, gas up, oh must not forget the potty breaks

but excluding all of that about how long?

What should'nt I miss in your opinion? We are very outdoorsy, love flying, nature/wildlife, oh just about anything, of course we are not interested in fishing and maybe light hiking. Of course we like being lazy too and just sitting back and letting the sites come to us, like on boats, etc.

Are there plenty of gas stations along the way?

Suggestions for places to eat, not too expensive please?

I've gotten alot of good suggestions on a thread I posted but would love to hear your opinion also.

I know there's a whole lot of questions all through this posting but please help me out so I can make this Surprise one that DH will never forget?

Thank you so much, CJ :) :)

Dear Susan,

I am Thankful for your help w/ the YMCA link. I called just a bit ago and because we have a family Y membership, we can swing by the Anchorage Y and grab a shower before we head home!:p

THANK YOU for providing me w/ that link....

Archived