Looking for AK(Susan)

cruzingduo

Another possibility for those wanting showers is that most rural area laundromats have (or at least used to, and I know the one in Wasilla still does) facilities for showering. I don't know about ones in Anchorage, but it is something to look into if all you want is a quick shower.

Susan:

Thank you so much for the wonderful link. I am so excited. I can see

sea lions, otters and glaciers all at once.

Once again THANK YOU--

Connie

Connie,

Glad I could help and have a great trip!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Dear Susan,

I am Thankful for your help w/ the YMCA link. I called just a bit ago and because we have a family Y membership, we can swing by the Anchorage Y and grab a shower before we head home!:p

THANK YOU for providing me w/ that link....

Glad it worked out.

Another possibility for those wanting showers is that most rural area laundromats have (or at least used to, and I know the one in Wasilla still does) facilities for showering. I don't know about ones in Anchorage, but it is something to look into if all you want is a quick shower.

You know I knew about the one in Wasilla, drive by one on the way to Nancy Lake but couldn't think of one in Anchorage. All the laundromats I have been here in town (got those extra big comforters that just won't fit in the regular washer) are just that laundromats.

Even was running the new C concourse through my head at the Airport but when it was built they didn't put anything like that in.

CJ,

Boy that's a lot and I'll help the best I can and then hope everyone else will jump in, as since I live here, I don't have a lot of experiences when it comes to some of the accomodations except for reading reviews.

If you'd get in late, I'd just rent a car from one of the car rental agencies at the airport. Here's a link to the agencies that are out there http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/travelerInfo/rentalCars.shtml One thing about this map though in July (if construction is on time) all of these car rental agencies are moving to their own attached garage. Where their offices and cars will be.

Lots of hotels right out by the airport - Holiday Inn Express, Millenium, Courtyard by Marriott, a local one Puffin Inn. Midtown there is a Hampton Inn, a Springhill Suites, a Motel 6, a Fairfield Suites, a Hilton Garden Inn and a Homewood Suites.

One thing since you're going to do this independently, I'd get a Milepost - http://www.themilepost.com/ I know there's a thread going somewhere on the Alaska Board where people are getting them really cheap. Was checking out our DOT site to see if I could post anything here about roads. We do have a 511 system in place, so if you're driving and want to know about a specific route just call 511 and follow the directions.

Also while I was on that site they did a link to this one http://www.travelalaska.com/, which I actually saw on the TV the other day too.

There all kinds of things to do on the way to Talkeenta. Thunderbird Falls, hiking at Eklutna Lake, Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla.

Heading north it will take you about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to Talkeenta from Anchorage . I've never been but have friends that have stayed up there as well as friends that have a cabin in the area. Lots of mountain climbers there during climbing season as it's the starting point for them to end up. I know lots of people take McKinley flightseeing/glacier trips from there. One year here in Anchorage I took my parents on a floatplane trip out of Lake Hood up to McKinley. It was a gorgeous day, blue skies and about 70. When we got up there we actually could see the climbers going up, just amazing.

The one thing I always like to stop at on the Highway to Denali is the Veteran's Memorial. It's in the vicinity of Byer's Lake. If you turn around from the memorial there is an area that has a clear view of Mt. McKinley and if she's out it's a gorgeous site.

When it comes to the Park, we always drive up one day, do the Park through the Park Service, always book the one that is associated with the Park Service, and then on the next day. Here's the link to the Shuttle Bus description http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttle-buses.htm and then here's a link to the one involving reservations - http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-reservations.htm

Don't know if you like to hike or stroll but there are some pretty easy tours right around the Denali Visitor Center plus you have the kennels. They use sled dogs in the winter there and this is where they live http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/kennels.htm

I've stayed at the McKinley Chalets and Denali Cabins.

Fairbanks from Anchorage is like 8 hours or so. Again, I don't live there but have a coworker that does and I asked him last year for another CC friend, and this is what he said

I would probably suggest the River Boat Discovery, Santa Clause House (North Pole), Chena Hot Springs (60 miles from Fairbanks), maybe Gold Dredge #8 or Eldorado Gold Camp and the University's museum. Not knowing what their interests are I would suggest a couple of web sites that cover about everything.

http://www.explorefairbanks.com

www.cometofairbanks.com/travel.php

There are gas stations along the way, Wasilla, Willow, Talkeenta, now this is where I lose my eye for the highway since I only do it every couple of years. Should be stuff in Denali area, Healy and then you'll be in Fairbanks. But again the Milepost will help on that.

The times I gave will be to each destination from Anchorage, so from one time to another that would give you an idea. Potty break hint, state parks are always a good option.

So right now I'd stay get in late - drive out the next day, do your flightseeing at Talkeetna, then go to the Park, do the Park, stay another day if you want to do some hiking, then head for Fairbanks for a couple of days and then head back to Anchorage (that's going to be a long day but people do it all the time) or you could do Talkeetna on the way back and then who knows maybe even do one day here. Here's the link to the Anchorage Convention and Visitor's Bureau www.anchorage.net

Well I think that's a good start and hope that it's helped. As you make your way through all the information and have more questions, just ask away.

Susan, we will be renting a car and are staying at Alaskan Bed and Breakfast so transportation is not a problem. Any suggestions are always welcomed.

All kinds of good places to eat here. We do have most of the chains - Chilis, TG Fridays, Applebees, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. but here are some of my local favorites

In Midtown for Italian there is Sorrento's, Pizza Plaza and Romanos.

Pizza for me is Guido's.

Want a great hamburger - Arctic Roadrunner. They have one at International & Old Seward and one at Arctic and Fireweed.

Downtown - Glacier Brewhouse, want to splurge Simon & Seaforts, Orso's, Rum Runners, F Street, Humpy's.

Right now that's all I can think off the top of my head but you can check out the dining section at www.anchorage.net too.

but here are some of my local favorites

In Midtown for Italian there is Sorrento's, Pizza Plaza and Romanos.

Oh my gosh, another Pizza Plaza fan! That has been one of our favorite restaurants for 25 years! (we never order pizza...not that it isn't great, it's just that the veal parmagiana and the Italian chicken are our favorite meals!). Most people haven't even heard of it, much less eat there. It looks so nondescript from the outside

Pizza for me is Guido's.

Guido's means stromboli to me...I go to the fair just to have it, but they weren't there this year...big disappointment to not find them there.

Want a great hamburger - Arctic Roadrunner. They have one at International & Old Seward and one at Arctic and Fireweed.

We eat at Arctic and Fireweed when in the area and want a quick bite. But we take company to the one at International and Old Seward, lots of cool pictures, and salmon swimming by the outdoor tables.

Downtown - Glacier Brewhouse, want to splurge Simon & Seaforts, Orso's, Rum Runners, F Street, Humpy's.

Simon and Seaforts has the greatest views--worth a wait for a window table. Join their dining club, and if you have a birthday the month you're there, get $20 off your meal. http://www.r-u-i.com/sim/

Right now that's all I can think off the top of my head but you can check out the dining section at www.anchorage.net too.

Now I'm hungry!

• 2 weeks later...

AkSusan, I hope you're smiling and willing to answer a question. :)

I so appreciate the info you shared about accommodations I was considering for our brief stay in Anchorage. Curiously, our friends chose to stay at a property we originally were not considering.

Can you offer any info about the Voyager Hotel, Anchorage?

Thanks, in advance.

Eileen

Again living here I haven't stayed at any of the properties, but location wise this one is right across and down about a 1/2 block on a side street from the Captain Cook. Right around the corner from a great restaurant called the Corsair.

They're going to have a little further walking distance to things but again downtown isn't that big.

Susan, you said you were on these boards all the time, but I was starting to not believe you!!! I am booked on the Serenade May 19, sadly we are not coming your way. Hope you and Shadow (hope I got that right) are doing well!

TTFN

Susan,

I want to thank you again for answering my questions and soooo quickly.

I have been checking out a lot of the imformation you've given me, which has been very helpful.

I've decided not to visit Fairbanks, although it looks like it'd be fun toobut b/c not enough days/time.

I'm gonna just visit Anchorage,Talkeetna, Denali and then to Seward a couple of days and get the ship for the Southbound cruise.

I still might have some more questions as I plan my days in all of these places if you're available later to answer them.

CJ :) :)

Susan, you said you were on these boards all the time, but I was starting to not believe you!!! I am booked on the Serenade May 19, sadly we are not coming your way. Hope you and Shadow (hope I got that right) are doing well!

TTFN

Hi Michelle!

Well since I only have one cruise book currently (Radiance to Hawaii in 22 days) I'm only on one ship roll call right now but I usually come over the Alaska Port of Calls once a day to try and help. Seems work is currently getting in the way though.

Must be posting somewhere because I've hit the 5,000+ club and I only joined in May 2004 :D

Sorry to hear that you won't be coming this far to see Shadow (yeap that's my girl) and I this year, but maybe in the future I may be coming your way. Thinking about an Alaskan cruise next year, just in the planning stages though!

Take care and Happy Sailing!

Susan :)

Susan,

I want to thank you again for answering my questions and soooo quickly.

I have been checking out a lot of the imformation you've given me, which has been very helpful.

I've decided not to visit Fairbanks, although it looks like it'd be fun toobut b/c not enough days/time.

I'm gonna just visit Anchorage,Talkeetna, Denali and then to Seward a couple of days and get the ship for the Southbound cruise.

I still might have some more questions as I plan my days in all of these places if you're available later to answer them.

CJ :) :)

CJ,

Just ask away and as long as I'm in town (going on the Radiance at the end of the month to Hawaii and have a couple of business trips in June) I'll try and help!

• 1 month later...

Michelle,

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I spent my birthday on Oahu in Honolulu. Had a great day and then ended it with cruise friends (Emmy included) with dinner at Duke's on Waikiki.

Archived