Another whale watching question Juneau or Icy Strait

cruzingduo

We will be in Alaska June 4, doing a land tour with RCCL. Then sailing on the Radiance 8th - June 15, stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan. It is our first trip to Alaska.

I recently was looking for independent excursions to do in Icy Strait Point and found a review from a fellow who was there July 2006 who went whale watching in ICP. He said there were many whales to be seen, even though he was in a 200 person boat (not the size I would like). But it got me thinking because we were planning on doing whale watching in Juneau with Capt Larry. But there are other things we want to do in Juneau (especially the Roberts tramway if there's no fog (thanks BQ) and the M glacier). There's not enough time to do all 3 since we don't dock until 10 am.

So we are wondering should we not do the whale tour in Juneau and doing it in ICP instead?

BQ are you out there? what do you think? Anyone with suggestions? I know Capt Larry has a wonderful reputation.

I am a planner and there's just too many great things to do in Alaska. Could it be that there are more whale sightings in July? (I know that no one can predict where & when you'll see a whale). I have been reading these boards and reviews and can't wait for the trip. But I was wondering are there less whale sightings in early June?

Should we stay with Capt Larry in Juneau and do a bear watching trip in ICP?

I know I have asked similar questions before, I may be a victum of an over planner.

Both areas are excellent for humpbacks. Fully migrated in June. July has not more potential for sightings than June. So go where you have the most time. There certainly are way too many things to do in Alaska. :)

However, a 10am port time in Juneau can offer you plenty of touring, what is your departure?? Are you looking at extensive hiking at Mendenhall?? Otherwise an hour is usually plenty for most people. I highly recommend a drop off/pick up by the whale watch tour operator, saves an hour in shuttle time. Mt. Roberts is a 5 min. tram ride. Plus hiking available at the top, but you don't need a lot of time if you aren't going to be hiking.

If you are on the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali Park, you will most likely see brown bears, although these are the smaller version since their diet is not fish.

BQ thank you. We arrive in Juneau at 10 am, Capt Larry boat is 11:45 (plus we need lunch I have gastritis and must eat), the whale tour is until 3:30 and then we have the M glacier for Juneau. We are not hikers.

We leave Juneau at 8pm but we want to be back on the ship no later than 6pm.

If we do the whales in Juneau, what should we do in ICP? You previously told us about Tek... tour that does a bear tour. Is that what you'd reccommend? We do see moose and bear in NH wher my MIL lives. But they are smaller bears than those in Alaska.

We asked Rebecca or Larcy ay Capt Larry's about dropping us off at the glacier or picking us up, but she has not called back with the answer.

Would you do the glacier first or Capt Larry at 11:45 first?

Thanks again so much.

We lived in Juneau for 4 years before moving to Hoonah (Icy Strait) last summer. I have seen more whales here then I did in Juneau, maybe that is because there is less boat traffic. Icy Strait Point offers whale and bear tours, plus there are independent tours from guides in town. You can call The Galley at 907 945-3777 to book prior to your arrival or just walk in when you arrive. A couple independent whale guides (also fishing charters) are:

http://dreamfishalaska.com/

http://tokriver.com/

Archived