Which Luxury Cruise for our Anniversary

katiekatie

I would agree with Dan. Neither the QE2 or the QM2 are in the luxury market. Some might say you need to be in the Queen's Grill suites to get the luxury experience, but I don't think even that gives you a true look at what a luxury cruise is like.

:o Sorry... I guess I thought sophistication = luxury and didn't realize it was a price issue. Not sure what prevents the Queens Grille from being luxury, but Katie maybe the posterity of sailing on the QE2 during her last days would be special even if not technically a luxury cruise.

Must Carnival ruin everything and strip the QE2 of her status? :( Apparently at one time, Cunard was considered a luxury line... check out this link

http://www.european-cruises.eu/cruise-lines/luxury

"Cunard’s luxury cruise ships the Queen Mary 2 and the Queen Elizabeth 2 are in a class by themselves. A magnificent ocean liner, the Queen Mary 2 is a return to the glamour of transatlantic cruising. Every detail is spectacular, from the exclusive Grand Canyon Ranch Spa, the grand sweeping staircase at the entrance to the 3-story Britannia restaurant. The 2,620-passenger Queen Mary 2 offers outstanding entertainment and enrichment opportunities – you can even take a class from famous members of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Recently updated, the Queen Elizabeth 2 has traveled the Atlantic in great style for years. Everything is top notch on this luxury cruise ship, and features many of the same amenities also provided on the Queen Mary 2. Cunard’s fleet cruises the world, and offers 10- to 16-day cruises in the Mediterranean, Europe, and Scandinavia, as well as transatlantic voyages round trip from New York City in the U.S."

Although considered sophisticated, the QE2 (or the QM2, for that matter) are not considered luxury cruise ships.

Host Dan

By whom?

If you take a suite (Q2 or (even better) Q1 on the Signal Deck of QE2 you'll be spoilt in a way that is incredible. The Q1 suites have two balconies, one of which looks forward over the bridge.

The Queens' Grill restaurant is superb.

And the longstanding staff are equally good. As for this myth that only small ships remember you, I'm remembered each time I return - right down to my preferred table for two. Not just my name, but my personal life, family and so on and so forth.

If that isn't luxury of the highest order, I'm not sure what is. It is certainly a higher standard than the Savoy, Waldorf=Astoria or Danielli to mention some we've been to in the last few years.

Matthew

Some might say you need to be in the Queen's Grill suites to get the luxury experience, but I don't think even that gives you a true look at what a luxury cruise is like.

I was on an E/B transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in April in a Queens Grill suite, and it would be very hard for me to imagine how any human being would not consider the experience luxurious. About the only thing one doesn't get that seems to be standard on the small-ship luxury market is liquor and wines included everywhere. In the suite, several bottles of liqour/wine and beer are stocked and are replaced when finished. A bottle of Perrier Jouet champagne is provided on embarcation day. The butler can't do enough. In the Queens Grill restaurant, the daily menu, as well as the luxury à la carte menu, e.g (foie gras, caviar etc.) are superb. The dining room staff will prepare special orders as requested.

The Queens Grill lounge, which is for the exclusive use of the grill passengers provides an afternoon tea, which has more items in a quiet and serene atmosphere, than the basic tea provided in the Queens Room for all passengers.

By whom?

If you take a suite (Q2 or (even better) Q1 on the Signal Deck of QE2 you'll be spoilt in a way that is incredible. The Q1 suites have two balconies, one of which looks forward over the bridge.

The Queens' Grill restaurant is superb.

And the longstanding staff are equally good. As for this myth that only small ships remember you, I'm remembered each time I return - right down to my preferred table for two. Not just my name, but my personal life, family and so on and so forth.

If that isn't luxury of the highest order, I'm not sure what is. It is certainly a higher standard than the Savoy, Waldorf=Astoria or Danielli to mention some we've been to in the last few years.

Matthew

I guess my problem with what you say is that you won't be living in the suite. My analogy is Celebrity. I stayed in one of the two largest suites last year. The accommodations are some of the finest on any ship. And, we had some of the meals in the suite. And while we were in the suite we were treated the same way as being on a luxury ship. But, once we went to other areas of the ship, it was no different than being on another mass market to premium market line. Yes, Celebrity is classified as premium.

So, yes in the Queens Grill you have a nicer experience but unless you plan to live in your suite and only leave it to go to the Queens Grill then I question whether you are getting a luxury cruising experience.

In the end, all of this depends on you. But the majority of folks would classify the luxury cruise lines very similar to what Host Dan did in an earlier post. The lines being Crystal, Silversea, Regent, SeaDream and Seabourn and each of these lines have similarities but enough differences to provide a slightly different luxury cruise experience. But on those ships the luxury experience does not end as soon as you leave your room or the restaurant.

Keith

I guess my problem with what you say is that you won't be living in the suite. My analogy is Celebrity. I stayed in one of the two largest suites last year. The accommodations are some of the finest on any ship. And, we had some of the meals in the suite. And while we were in the suite we were treated the same way as being on a luxury ship. But, once we went to other areas of the ship, it was no different than being on another mass market to premium market line. Yes, Celebrity is classified as premium.

The QE2 is hardly "market" of either kind though... I don't think you can compare her to Celebrity ships. And why do all of the "luxury cruise" websites include Cunard in their listings? They don't include Celebrity so obviously there is a distinction between the two.

The QE2 is hardly "market" of either kind though... I don't think you can compare her to Celebrity ships.

My analogy is that it is largely a premium cruise ship with one of its categories being considered luxury. But my point is that unless you spend 100% of your time in your suite and the queens grill, the rest of the ship is closer to a premium cruise line. However on a luxury ship wherever you go you will receive a consistent luxury experience.

Keith

I would agree with Keith on this issue. Once you're out of your suite, and out of the separate QG areas, you're on board with a huge number of other passengers. On the true luxury ships you're not sharing the ship with 2000 other passengers---this is not meant to sound at at all snobby, but no cruise line can provide a luxury experience when they have to take care of 3200, as is the case of the QM2. I don't think any ship that carries more than 1800 or so passengers can provide the personal services and attention to detail that you get on ships with a much fewer passengers. And, to be quite honest, when you pay so much for a QG suite, it's terribly disappointing to realize that the main menu you get in the QG restaurant is exactly the same as what you get in the huge Britannia restaurant. Yes, you have the ala carte menu, but for the price, the menu in the QG should not be the same as in the main restaurant. That's just another indication to me that they are not a true luxury experience.

I would agree with Keith on this issue. Once you're out of your suite, and out of the separate QG areas, you're on board with a huge number of other passengers. On the true luxury ships you're not sharing the ship with 2000 other passengers---this is not meant to sound at at all snobby, but no cruise line can provide a luxury experience when they have to take care of 3200, as is the case of the QM2. I don't think any ship that carries more than 1800 or so passengers can provide the personal services and attention to detail that you get on ships with a much fewer passengers. And, to be quite honest, when you pay so much for a QG suite, it's terribly disappointing to realize that the main menu you get in the QG restaurant is exactly the same as what you get in the huge Britannia restaurant. Yes, you have the ala carte menu, but for the price, the menu in the QG should not be the same as in the main restaurant. That's just another indication to me that they are not a true luxury experience.

What does it matter if the menu is the same, providing the chefs do more with it?

I'm not sure how many of those who suggest QE2 isn't luxury for a Queens' Grill passenger have sailed in a Q1 suite and received that sort of attention, but take it from me that you feel very special if you have. Isn't that what luxury is about?

I'd like to see the passengers on one of those tiny Seabourn things endure the North Atlantic in January and keep on partying. (By partying, I'm really using a shorthand for quaffing vintage champagne. Very civilised.) Isn't part of the luxury life just doing nothing much but relax in civilised circumstances? And what could be better than a proper transatlantic to do that. Remind me - how many ships do that? Oh, yes. Two. Just two.

Matthew

Who is quite happy to stick with Queen Elizabeth 2 as long as she lives, and then to sail on the Queen Mary 2.

I didn't recommend the QM2, I specifically said QE2 for historical purposes of her last year in service. I was thinking for an anniversary it would be special yet still luxurious even if it does not meet the Cruise Critic definition of luxury. The QE2 has less than 1800 capacity, which on a ship that size makes the space per passenger ratio higher, and actually less crowded than your typical luxury lines.

Queen Elizabeth 2 Ship Facts

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" bgcolor="#99947b" border="0" bordercolor="#cccccc" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" frame="void" rules="rows" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="45%">

Length:

</td><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="64%">963 feet

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="35%">

Beam:

</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="64%">105 feet, 2.5 inches

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="35%">

Beam at Bridge Wings:

</td><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="64%">117 feet, 5.5 inches

Draft:

</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="64%">32 feet

Height (Keel to Funnel):

</td><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="64%">204 feet, 1.5 inches

Gross Tonnage:

</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="64%">70,327 tonnes

Guest Capacity:

</td><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="64%">1,778

Crew:

</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="64%">1,016

Top Speed:

</td><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="64%">32.5 knots</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="35%">

Power:

</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="64%">Diesel electric

Propulsion:

</td><td bgcolor="#ece9d9" valign="top" width="64%">9-cylinder 58/64 medium speed turbo-charged

</td></tr></tbody></table>

I'm not sure how many of those who suggest QE2 isn't luxury for a Queens' Grill passenger have sailed in a Q1 suite and received that sort of attention, but take it from me that you feel very special if you have. Isn't that what luxury is about?

Matthew I am guessing that they haven't sailed the QE2 at all, only the QM2 and are assuming that the ships are the same ;)

Matthew I am guessing that they haven't sailed the QE2 at all, only the QM2 and are assuming that the ships are the same ;)

I guess its a matter of opinion, thats all. (BTW Have sailed ALL the lux lines and several premium and so on) What I consider luxury cruise line is all-inclusive (or semi-all inclusive i.e. Crystal) and all-suite accomodations. Whats REALLY important is that we all have the wonderful opportunity to cruise on our favorite lines!

Host Dan

Yes, I have done a trans-Atlantic on the QE2, in a QG suite. While it's a lovely experience, and it's a shame that the SOLAS rules are precipitating her demise, I'm still not convinced it's luxury all the way---at least not in this day and age. Perhaps back in the 1960's, when all cruising was wonderfully civilised and there wasn't a peep of "how formal is formal, can I bring my own booze on board and can I get away with a shirt and slacks on formal night", the beautiful QE2 was a complete luxury experience. Sad that we've come to that type of thing in this day and age of obnoxious casualness.

BTW, I have done a crossing on Seabourn, in 45ft seas in a hurricane in late September, and it wasn't pleasant. But unlike the Queens, those ships weren't built specifically for trans-Atlantic crossings, and I believe the passengers are well aware of that.

And I secon that, Dan. It's great to have the ability to cruise our lines of choice. Otherwise, how dull would life be?

I also second Host Dan's comments. In the end, select a line that you believe will meet or exceed your expecations and if you have a choice of cruise lines to select from all the better. And, in the end, how one views the cruise line is in the eyes of the beholder. If we all viewed everything the same way, there would only be one cruise line, we'd all wear the same type of clothing, have the same interests, etc. And, wouldn't life be boring.

Keith

Yes, I have done a trans-Atlantic on the QE2, in a QG suite. While it's a lovely experience, and it's a shame that the SOLAS rules are precipitating her demise, I'm still not convinced it's luxury all the way---at least not in this day and age. Perhaps back in the 1960's, when all cruising was wonderfully civilised and there wasn't a peep of "how formal is formal, can I bring my own booze on board and can I get away with a shirt and slacks on formal night", the beautiful QE2 was a complete luxury experience. Sad that we've come to that type of thing in this day and age of obnoxious casualness.

Queen Elizabeth 2 is surely far more formal in dress than Seabourn? All sea days are formal on her, and it is unusual to see a lounge suit rather than a dress suit.

The booze bitching isn't done from what I can see by QE2 passengers, although there is an element of what you say creeping in on the QM2.

I did in fact look at Seabourn for a cruise with my mother. We both rejected it - she thought it was too expensive and too formal. I thought it wasn't formal enough, and from what I could gather on board, the inclusive nature of the drinks led to a fairly boring wine list of virtually entirely New World wine.

Matthew

Queen Elizabeth 2 is surely far more formal in dress than Seabourn? All sea days are formal on her, and it is unusual to see a lounge suit rather than a dress suit.

The booze bitching isn't done from what I can see by QE2 passengers, although there is an element of what you say creeping in on the QM2.

I did in fact look at Seabourn for a cruise with my mother. We both rejected it - she thought it was too expensive and too formal. I thought it wasn't formal enough, and from what I could gather on board, the inclusive nature of the drinks led to a fairly boring wine list of virtually entirely New World wine.

Matthew

This backs up the comments that several of us made. In the end, each person needs to select a specific cruise line to sail on based on their criteria of what they look for in a cruise. For me, I do not make this decision based on what wine is served on the ship.

I enjoy sailing on Sebourn because I enjoy the size of the ship (the 200 passeger Seabourn Ships provide an extremely unique crusing experience),

the outstanding service performed by the crew, the very friendly and well seasoned travelers that typically cruise on this line, the wonderful food, the unique itineraries, the luxury and all inclusive experience and the wonderful ambience that all of this creates on the ship. We enjoy the dress code on Seabourn as well as the wine. :)

Keith

Silversea is definitely great. The verandah suites are 345 square ft. On the two larger ships, there are 2 Medallion Suite cabins that are 521 square ft. We are booked in one of those for our 3rd cruise, Mumbai to Dubai. The silver suites are a nice option on all the ships. I would not hesitateto book any suite on them but do recommend at least getting a private balcony. You cannot beat watching the ship come in or go out while sipping juice or a cocktail with your sweety. These are not the ships if you want big glitzy shows, but they have stuff to do or not and go to neat places that small ships can go.

You will find interesting people to chat with if you desire, but they are not going to latch onto you and follow you around if you don't want. Most are into their own thing and then want to chat to others while at an activity. We love the trivia. Also, meals are a total experience. There are lecturers and a nice show every night and things like bridge, golf putting, afternoon tea, needlpoint, etc. if you want to do them.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all their great input and information about there favorite luxury cruise lines. Finding the right cruise was a major decision for us in celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on a cruise ship.

In doing research we decided to place a deposit on the Celebrity Quest's 14 day Best of Italy Cruise next year. I like that the Quest is rated somewhere between a premium and a luxury line - no formal nights and open seating. Having been on three other Celebrity cruises we were never disappointed in anything. So, our deposit is placed but we are still open to suggestions on seeing Italy on a small ship. Better to hold the cabin you want then wait to long and be disappointed!

Thanks again ... Katie

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Silverseas is a luxury cruiseline with excellent service, food and decor. They'll know your name, your preferences, favourites, etc after a couple of days. No tipping allowed. Cocktails, wine, champagne-----> NO Charge....all included.

It's really nice boarding the ship and everything is already paid for. Unless you shop in the gift shop, sign up for excursions you can leave your wallet in the safe for the whole voyage.

It's like sailing on a large, luxurious yacht of your friends, they wouldn't expect a tip or charge you for drinks.....would they?

Bon Voyage!

ScottToronto:)

Archived