Denali Princess Lodge fire?

southwardbound

AP--

var requestedWidth = 0;

if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } A company catering to visitors to Denali National Park and Preserve is having to do some juggling. A fire last week destroyed an eleven-room unit at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.

The rooms were a fraction of the rooms offered at the resort, which has 651 rooms and is the largest hotel complex near the national park. But the tour season begins in two months and the resort -- located a mile from the entrance to the park -- is already booked full on some days.

Darren Nolan, a Princess Tours vice president in Seattle, says other rooms are available in the area. He says Princess will be in contact with other hoteliers on days when they need to put their guests in other rooms. Last Friday's fire is believed to have been accidental. The 15-year-old building was closed for the winter and undergoing renovations.

Between this fire and the one last fall that destroyed the main hotel in King Salmon (i.e. for Katmai NP), it is a setback for the tourist industry. Fortunately the fire at the Denali Princess was contained. The fire at the Quinnat Landing Hotel in King Salmon was a total loss.

I e-mailed my TA about this and asked if she was aware of what Princess was going to do. Here is what she sent:

"I called Princess and they were unaware that there was a fire at the lodge at all. So the agent checked and was told since they have no info that there is a problem and if something changes , we will be advised."

A case of the right hand not knowing about the left hand?????? Makes me feel reeeeaaaal confident in Princess:eek:

I e-mailed my TA about this and asked if she was aware of what Princess was going to do. Here is what she sent:

"I called Princess and they were unaware that there was a fire at the lodge at all. So the agent checked and was told since they have no info that there is a problem and if something changes , we will be advised."

A case of the right hand not knowing about the left hand?????? Makes me feel reeeeaaaal confident in Princess:eek:

I doubt that someone who answers the phones in California knows what is happening in Alaska. I'm sure when it comes closer to the summer months, Princess will start notifying passengers that they have been relocated. Only 11 rooms were affected, so don't expect a lot of passengers moved to other places.

Archived