Lobster? On A Cruise Ship??

Piton1

Growing up in Maine the first cruise lobster experience was interesting for my parents. They both ordered the lobster and didn't know what to say my, dad said it didn't taste like lobster, and having the waiter take it out of the shell was also foreign to him, in the tourist restaurants in maine they have what is often called "lazy man's lobster" already shelled and at about double the price. To a Mainer lobster is a casual food often eaten outdoors with the same tools that you use to crack nuts.

I can see how many would like it especially if you haven't been spoiled growing up with the good stuff, but to a Mainer lobster isn't usually a formal affair!

So if you enjoy cruise ship lobster eat up, but if you ever find yourself in new england eat the real deal. In Bar Harbor Maine, you can often find early bird lobster dinners (whole lobster) for around $15.

MAC

When's a good time to go to NE for lobster? We've always wanted to but don't know when the "season" is.

Living in Mn-WI all I have to offer is....fresh snow! Who wants fresh snow?!?! All the fresh snow you can eat! (the yellow stuff is more expensive though)

haa haa!

Yes, enjoy your lobsters on the cruise if you like them!

Enjoy your lobsters with jeans, if you're so lucky!

Just as long as you SAVOR and ENJOY!!!!!!

When's a good time to go to NE for lobster? We've always wanted to but don't know when the "season" is.

Living in Mn-WI all I have to offer is....fresh snow! Who wants fresh snow?!?! All the fresh snow you can eat! (the yellow stuff is more expensive though)

haa haa!

Yes, enjoy your lobsters on the cruise if you like them!

Enjoy your lobsters with jeans, if you're so lucky!

Just as long as you SAVOR and ENJOY!!!!!!

Summer is moulting season for lobsters, this is when they shed their shells and start growing new ones. The good part of this is that they are easy to eat because their shells are much softer and easier to break apart, the bad part is that their bodies absorb more sea water during this process making the meat less dense. Lobsters are usually less expensive in the summer because of this. Most people don't really notice a huge difference in taste between the moulting lobsters and the hard shell lobsters.

So the answer to the question is spring and fall, the fall being very beautiful in maine, but quite cool. I would still recommend the Maine coast in the summer, it is breathtaking, and the weather is comfortable.

MAC

We went to Maine a couple years ago. Took a drive down the coast from Bar Harbor back to Boston. We ate so much lobster, I actually had to have a hamburger (strange huh). We ate lobster at nice restaurants, had the $15 special in Bar Harbor, ate lobster at a shack on the water, had lobster bisque out at Jordan's Pond in Acadia. Never tasted better lobster.

The lobster I had a couple years before that on a cruise ship paled in comparison, but at the time I hadn't had the Real Thing.

Now, would I have lobster on a cruise ship again? You bet, inferior lobster is better than no lobster at all.

We went to Maine a couple years ago. Took a drive down the coast from Bar Harbor back to Boston. We ate so much lobster, I actually had to have a hamburger (strange huh). We ate lobster at nice restaurants, had the $15 special in Bar Harbor, ate lobster at a shack on the water, had lobster bisque out at Jordan's Pond in Acadia. Never tasted better lobster.

The lobster I had a couple years before that on a cruise ship paled in comparison, but at the time I hadn't had the Real Thing.

Now, would I have lobster on a cruise ship again? You bet, inferior lobster is better than no lobster at all.

Isn't Acadia park and Bar Harbor beautiful, I grew up going there in the summer, and always took it for granted. A couple of years ago I went home to maine and spent a couple days on Mt. Desert Island as a tourist, and wondered how I could have ever taken so much beauty for granted.

MAC

I am from California and have lots of beautiful places around here, but we really enjoyed Maine, especially Acadia and Bar Harbor. The coastline there is really spectacular. It was our first time on the East COast other than New York (totally different atmosphere).

We tried to see as many of the small fishing villages as we could. Of course, eating lobster as many times as possible.

Isn't always true that we never really appreciate some stuff as children. My family went on a trip to Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon. After Zion and Bryce, I wasn't that impressed with the Grand Canyon. After a couple of stops along the rim, I decided to stay in the car to read my comics. Oh ,how youth is wasted on the young.

We missed Filet Mignon night on our Bermuda cruise because we did the "Don't Stop the Carnival" party shore excursion. I would have liked to have had that. I think they did that on purpose knowing a lot of people from the ship would miss out on that night's dinner. I agree about the lobster thing, that would mean a lot of lobsters on board.

When I had fresh squeezed OJ in florida for the first time, it was like I had never had orange juice before, it was just so different, truly a treat.

I enjoy eating regionally when I travel, eat what they are famous for! Like in the south, fried chicken, biscuits, and sweet tea just don't taste the same anywhere else!

MAC

MAC

the fried chicken, biscuits, and sweet tea could be found at just about any african americans house almost anywhere. my mom makes the best fried chicken in the world, i wish i could ship u some. but then it wouldnt be fresh.

I recently went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and to my dismay, lobster was never a choice on the menu, substandard or otherwise. There was lobster bisque one night but it wasn't very good. :( I have been on 8 cruises and this was the first where there was no shellfish entree at all on any night (however, there was a nice shrimp cocktail served on the buffet one night). On Princess last year we not only had a lobster night but also king crab legs. I am hesitant to share that between my DH, my dad and my bro-in-law there were 5 plates of crab legs eaten in addition to other entrees. Needless to say, if I return to RC it won't be for the food.

Calsisters, If you are ever in Maryland, get down to Annapolis or any part of the Chesapeake Bay. It's so different from the west coast. I don't get down that way much, but I was there about 2 weeks ago. Annapolis is a walking town because the streets are still narrow from horse and buggy days. There are also loads of historic buildings.

I recently went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and to my dismay, lobster was never a choice on the menu, substandard or otherwise. There was lobster bisque one night but it wasn't very good. :( I have been on 8 cruises and this was the first where there was no shellfish entree at all on any night (however, there was a nice shrimp cocktail served on the buffet one night). On Princess last year we not only had a lobster night but also king crab legs. I am hesitant to share that between my DH, my dad and my bro-in-law there were 5 plates of crab legs eaten in addition to other entrees. Needless to say, if I return to RC it won't be for the food.

I sure hope this isn't the case on our cruise comming up in september on the liberty of the sea ship my kids look forward to lobster night sometimes they order two .. are you sure you just didn't miss it? my kids would really be disappointed if they cut this specail night. we all look forward to lobster night

I sure hope this isn't the case on our cruise comming up in september on the liberty of the sea ship my kids look forward to lobster night sometimes they order two .. are you sure you just didn't miss it? my kids would really be disappointed if they cut this specail night. we all look forward to lobster night

DITTO!!!!! I will be bummed out if they removed this.

I am positive we didn't miss it. It was a topic of discussion with our table mates. We were on a smaller ship, Legend. I don't know if ship size was a factor. I have heard that the dining option that you pay more for is worth the extra money. Perhaps they save the lobster for that, but the Legend didn't have the pay dining option. It was a nice ship though. The kids (5, 6, & 8) loved the kids program and the miniature golf. Have fun on the Liberty! I have heard it is beautiful. Loads of stuff to do.

I am positive we didn't miss it. It was a topic of discussion with our table mates. We were on a smaller ship, Legend. I don't know if ship size was a factor. I have heard that the dining option that you pay more for is worth the extra money. Perhaps they save the lobster for that, but the Legend didn't have the pay dining option. It was a nice ship though. The kids (5, 6, & 8) loved the kids program and the miniature golf. Have fun on the Liberty! I have heard it is beautiful. Loads of stuff to do.

Oh, no, don't tell me this! My DH & I are sailing on the Legend in September. This will be our very first cruise and we had SO looked forward to lobster night! Dang! Dang! Dang! :(

I'm going to write or phone the cruiseline to ask about this. At least I will let them know that we customers want to preserve this little luxury even though it will be too late to change the menu back for my September cruise. Grrrrrr!!!:mad:

I love the dress up and have lobster and prime rib night...one of the highlights of the cruise. You do not have to get the lobster...and no,,,It is not up to par with a fresh yummy..Whole Maine lobster..Which my dh and I paid 70 bucks a piece for a couple of weeks ago in Vegas...but it is still yummy..and way different than the average dinner at home...stop stressing out about the little things...you will not starve on a cruise ship!:cool:

Oh, no, don't tell me this! My DH & I are sailing on the Legend in September. This will be our very first cruise and we had SO looked forward to lobster night! Dang! Dang! Dang! :(

I'm going to write or phone the cruiseline to ask about this. At least I will let them know that we customers want to preserve this little luxury even though it will be too late to change the menu back for my September cruise. Grrrrrr!!!:mad:

We were on a 6 night cruise, perhaps that had something to do with it. We did have 2 formal nights though. Hopefully it was a fluke and you will get your lobster. Best of luck with that!

We were on a 6 night cruise, perhaps that had something to do with it. We did have 2 formal nights though. Hopefully it was a fluke and you will get your lobster. Best of luck with that!

Well, I hope lots of people on your cruise complained about it.:mad:

has claws and is steamed whole fresh and alive screaming in their Neptune language while they turn red. Best place to eat a lobster is in New England or a top quality steak house. Lobster should be a minimum of 2 lbs and up to 5-6 lbs. No the bigger ones are not tough and are really tasty and worth the effort. The body and claws have excellent meat, some of which you have to work a little to find. Ship board tails are usually from warm water clawless crustations and don't have mush taste since they have been frozen for weeks or months. You can find these in Sams or Costco and are easy to cook. On lobster night there are usually really good choices for dinner. And for those into competitive eating to see how many of these things they can eat, they probably never eat a real steamed lobster. Even most shrimp have more flavor. I am a lobster snob and won't waste my time on inferior food.

Speaking only for myself and what I have observed from friends and family, I'll tell you why some people look forward to dressing up and eating lobster on a cruiseship. I live in the Midwest. Yes, good steak is easy to find, but lobster costs PLENTY. *Some* people are taking a cruise because it is an affordable way to experience "exotic" destinations, try new food, and get all fancied up in formal dress clothes that are normally reserved for weddings and funerals- all in one place at one price- while earning a middle income salary. We are not all eating lobster and prime rib ever weekend, so it is a treat for some people, no matter how mediocre you may think it is.

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

I never got the lobster deal either? I never have liked it and have had it at some very fine restaurants. Give me crawfish anyday. At least they have flavor. I've always said that most people don't really like the actual lobster meat anyway, they like the melted butter. You could probably serve them some boiled shoe leather, but as long as there is melted butter to dip it in, they would eat it and LOVE it.

New England is not the ONLY home of good FRESH, LIVE lobster.

If sailing to or from the UK, lobster of the above description can be found at (and not just exclusively):

The Riverside, West Bay, near Bridport, Dorset.

The Seafood Restaurant, Padstow, Cornwall

Wiltons, Jermyn Street, London W1

(In ascending price sequence).

The allure of "free" lobster n board is too much for some (my wife included) and always disappoints.

• 2 weeks later...
has claws and is steamed whole fresh and alive screaming in their Neptune language while they turn red. Best place to eat a lobster is in New England or a top quality steak house. Lobster should be a minimum of 2 lbs and up to 5-6 lbs. No the bigger ones are not tough and are really tasty and worth the effort. The body and claws have excellent meat, some of which you have to work a little to find. Ship board tails are usually from warm water clawless crustations and don't have mush taste since they have been frozen for weeks or months. You can find these in Sams or Costco and are easy to cook. On lobster night there are usually really good choices for dinner. And for those into competitive eating to see how many of these things they can eat, they probably never eat a real steamed lobster. Even most shrimp have more flavor. I am a lobster snob and won't waste my time on inferior food.

&

Didn't mean to denigrate the lobster in Britain or even France. I just didn't think that the lobster tails on shipboard would be considered the real thing except by Americans from the Blue states.

I'd love to say I've rarely heard anything so blatantly elitist and condescending, but I've been reading (though rarely posting) on these boards for a while, so...

I had to laugh at the Blue State comment. Anyone who knows politics knows that the Blue States refer to those states with predominantly liberal tendencies, which just happen to be primarily coastal states and the states with the highest per capita income, including coastal New England and, uh, Maine... So, you basically just said the cruisers who enjoy the lobster nights are from states where the people are most likely to eat fresh cold water lobster regularly. You definitely made your point m steve. Good job! :rolleyes:

I used to be an artisan cheese buyer and part of my job was to assist in the selection of wines to go with the various cheeses. I've eaten a lot of fine cheese and drank a lot of beautiful wines - heck, I even attended a cheese and wine conference in the Piedmont region of Italy (tough job... mwahahaha!). But when all is said and done, having a taste for the finer things has never prevented me from enjoying a couple of beers, some tortilla chips, and a bowl of ooey, gooey, melty, made-from-precessed-cheese-food queso, or from drinking some glasses of wine at my mother-in-law's house that I wouldn't have been caught dead recommending to a customer. We make the best of the situations we find ourselves in, yes?

Do I enjoy fresh Maine lobster? You bet your sweet patootie I do. Do I enjoy the lobster tails on the cruises? Absolutely. Looking forward to it next month on our upcoming cruise. I already know I'll order two. At least. :cool:

I have enjiyed fresh lobster in New Hampshire and I have eaten cruise ship "lobster". Not the same animal, on our ship they were serving frozen lobster from Florida, this was a shame as we were cruising the East coast of Canada in Lobster Season. There was a shack on the dock near the ship where lobster was boiled to order, it was wonderful, and it was that night we were served lobster, what a difference.