Driving Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver - HOW do we do it?

In July, we will be going on a cruise that departs Vancouver on a Monday evening.

On Friday evening, we will be flying into Seattle and renting a car for the journey. During the weekend, we would like to visit Victoria and possibly stay over night.

PLEASE make any recommendations on the appropriate route we should take and HOW?

#1 Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver....

OR

#2 Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Vancouver.....

Is one MORE scenic than the other? And what would your estimate of the time required for each option be?

THANK YOU sooooo much!:)

Seattle... Port Angeles Wa. ...Victoria..... Vancouver...

Only way to go. We do this route in a circle as often as we can. North of Seattle there are several ferry's you can use to cross over to the Olympic Penninsula. (Use google maps to see) Drive to and from either and Port Angeles is great. (or you can actually drive around the south side of Puget sound and miss the first ferry in your route. Scenic: and Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics is not to be be misssed if you are looking for mountains.

Ferry at Port Angeles takes you right into the inside harbour at Victoria and you get off in view of the Empress and Legislature buildings. Do the Island/Victoria and take a BC Ferry from Sydney (Schwartz Bay) to Tsawwassen. (Ferry time allow 3 hours with driving in Vic/to Van)

I doubt if you want to drive on friday much but you could head out I suppose. Drive to Squim couple hours I think. We have stayed there. Great Crab if in season. Catch Blackball ferry AM of Sat to Victoria 3 hours all in. Not sure how often it goes.

Ferrys to Vancouver run 7am until 9 PM and you can get reservations on line for a few extra bucks. Weekends in the summer can be bad.

This way is best scenic and you only go one way on BC ferry's

anything else? fire away.

Left,

I can't thank you enough for answering....I was beginning to feel like a wall flower with that Big 'ol 'ZERO' in the replies column....

I also appreciate how clear your explanation was!!!

Now,...

May I invite you to the Alaska boards where I posted the same question when I became worried that I would get no responses on this board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=526630#post9605367

I would love to get your take on the options being offered there. At this point, I feel as though I am trying to get to the moon on a motorcycle...:o

ps...we chose to fly into Seattle because it seemed to be a more economical option...so the helijet and floatplanes don't seem feasible.

Hey don't fret !!!!!

We'll get you there but I must warn you I never have thoughts on one's budget :D. Thats up to you.

Yes Seattle has cheaper air. But yes you still have to get to Vancouver.

The Clipper is a great trip.

Amtrak is also a good way to go but there is only one train a day north at 0740. (I use business class)

Driving I-5 to Vancouver is not great. There is a stretch of road called the Chuckanutt Dr. north of Mt. Vernon off the freeway and on the coast thats great the rest is all freeway and usually a wait at the border. Plus more freeway once into Canada.

Having read everything over there on the Alaska forum..... If you want to see the country and do not mind the drive I still think my original suggestion is best.

I see a few others thought of it also.

BTW. whoever mentioned the gardens in Vancouver is correct also.

& if you do happen to change and fly into Vancouver don't forget if you want to do the Island (Victoria) 3 hrs each way drive and ferry.

More Q's ??

If you are going this (drive to Port Angeles and take the ferry to Victoria) please be advised that you should make reservations( try googling Coho Ferry) as this is the only way to guarantee you can get on the ferry which doesn't have as many trips per day as the BC Ferry system. If you get on to the Island there are 2 ferries - Swartz Bay/Tsawwassen and Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay (which is in West Vancouver). There's more to the Island than just Victoria. You can also make reservations for any of the BC Ferry sailings too

Lefty (and Cathi and Sharon),

We are pleased to report that we have chosen your original plans for our trip to Victoria and Vancouver. This morning we changed our flights to get into Seattle by early afternoon allowing us enough time to pick up our rental car and head toward Port Angeles during daylight hours... we may even have enough time to catch the late Friday evening ferry to Victoria allowing for 2 nights in Victoria...or would you recommend spending the night in Port Angeles and catching the 8:20 am.?

Since the airport is already south of the ferries, we are leaning toward continuing around Pugat Sound, although I believe someone on the Alaska board posted that it was a pain...can you expound on that or do you see that as being acceptable for the time of day that we will be traveling? I think that we will be happier in a moving car than we will be waiting for a ferry north of Seattle?!?

Can you give a bit of information on what we should expect as far as clearing customs and crossing the border? (no past felonies, so as for clean records, I think we're good to go there ;) ) I'm assuming less of a wait as most folks will be headed straight to Vancouver from Seattle, eh?

Again, may I thank you for your cheerful disposition and calming spirit!!! It was exactly what this worried soul needed to hear!:)

cool...a good choice I think.

Seattle traffic is a mess most all of the time on I-5 or 405 but you are south of the City so driving around should not be all that bad. The only ferry I would recommend is the Fauntleroy check it out on Wa. State Ferry's web site. (No reservations) & not far from airport.

The ferrys that were mentioned in the other forum are further north and traffic would be nutz

Although partial to Canada I personally think checking out Port Angeles area,

Hurricane Ridge is worth it.

Regardless make sure you get reservations at that time of year for the ferry. MV Coho run by Blackball.

Passports? Make it easier but are not necessary.. Immigration will be a snap.

I second lefty's recommendations... it's a beautiful route. Hurricane ridge in July is amazing... the alpine meadow flowers are truly something to be seen.

that whole portion of the olympic penisula is famous for their lavender... in fact there is a lavender festival in July ( http://www.lavenderfestival.com/ )

weatherwise... morning crossings of the Juan de fuca strait are generally much calmer than the evening crossings... I'd vote for overnighting & taking the blackball in the morning.

how long are you spending in the victoria area?

Archived