Wine tastings & buying (Princess)

rachel0

Has anyone done the wine tastings and/or bought the wine packages? Are they worth it or is the target audience for the non-or occasional wine drinker? I don't think i'm terribly sophisticated :) but I don't want to waste my time/money on something that's mediocre.

Hi RachelO...

Yes, I did the wine tasting. It would be nice for the novice wine drinker, but NOT for the rest. I did have a good time, but I learned nothing knew and the wines were just fair a best.....Dennis

Every wine tasting event in which I have participated, I have enjoyed and came away knowing a little more than I did before. In my experience, Princess does an excellent job with their wine tasting event. They offer two: the first event is to introduce the wines they offer and to make one a bit more knowledgable about the ordering and enjoyment of the wines. (They try to show that ordering wine can be a pleasant, not an intimidating, situation.) During the event I attended, the following wines were served: Nobilo Sauvigon Blanc(from New Zealand), Verdicchio(from Italy), Hangtime Pinot Noir(from California), Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon(from California), and a dessert wine--Quadi Essensia(from California). Both the Maitre d' and his assistant were in charge of the program and both told stories and cracked jokes: it was a fun event! The cost was $5 and it would be refunded if one ordered a wine to be served in the Dining Room after the Wine Tasting was over. One could order any wine, not just those tasted, in order to have the $5 refunded.

A second Wine Tasting is held called the Maitre d's Wine Club that costs $25 and features more premium wines. The tastings started with Veuve Clicquot, Brut(champagne) and were followed by Pouilly-Fuisse, Cuvaison(a California Chardonnay), Kenwood Jack London Cabernet Sauvignon, the Italian Brunello di Montalcino, and Mondavi Rothschild's Opus 1 Cabernet Sauvignon(at $148 per bottle). The food served during this tasting event was more upscale than during the previous tastings(i.e. cavier was offered). A refund of the fee was also offered, but I don't remember the exact details. I think you had to order one of the wines that were being tasted(the most inexpensive wine of these was $32).

If one wants to learn something about wine, or just want to try a somewhat different kind of cruise activity and you are traveling on a Princess ship, I can recommend one or both of these Wine Tastings. (Wine tastings on other cruise lines have also been recommendable experiences as well.)

• 2 weeks later...

I forwarded your review to DH so he will "let me" go to the pricier tasting (as well as the $5 one.) ;) We know a little bit about wine, but have never tasted anything over, say $40, so this would be a nice experience.

Thanks again!

You are welcome, Rockwife! I hope your experience will be as pleasant on Caribbean Princess as mine was on Royal Princess. I have booked a Star Princess cruise for late January and will attend whatever wine tastings they offer then. It will be interesting to compare how the different ships and Maitre d's present these events.

Please give us a report upon your return.

An early Bon Voyage!

I forwarded your review to DH so he will "let me" go to the pricier tasting (as well as the $5 one.) ;) We know a little bit about wine, but have never tasted anything over, say $40, so this would be a nice experience.

Thanks again!

Great review of the event rkacruiser! Very informative for those of us who are thinking about trying this out.

Michele - If he won't go with you then I will!! My husband doesn't care for wine and I hate to attend these things alone!

TinaLee

DH's response was "we can go to the $5 tasting", so it sounds like he wants to save his $25 for something else. Maybe he was scared off by the "fish eggs"? Ha Ha. At any rate, I think it'd be wonderful to attend both and I'd be thrilled to meet up for the pricy tasting. Thanks!

rkacruiser- I promise to bring back a report of any wine tips or suggestions. I will have to take notes to match your detail, though!

Glad I finally found this thread. Helps when I look in right place.

I know I will be at wine tasting. DH will probably come along. For 5 bucks it's should be fun. I love wine but I would not call my self a wine conosiour.

bb

Debbie

mbw1024,

The first wine tasting would probably be held the first full day at sea with no ports. Check your Princess Patters carefully and/or ask your Head Waiter or Maitre d' the first night.

bostonlass,

Same advice as above. Check your Princess Patters or ask the Maitre d' or your Head Waiter. I have found it a waste of your time(as well as your Dining Room Steward's time) if you ask him. He almost always will have to go to one of the two people I mentioned to find out for sure.

Archived