When is Alaska going to Warm Up??

GATOR MOM

Well, it hasn't been above freezing here in Skagway for a few days, which is a bit cool for the first week of April, but the nice thing is that we have unusually clear skies and we have seen the northern lights the last two nights in a row!

We still have a lot of snow but it is going slowly so that is a blessing. I drove to Whitehorse last week and stayed a couple of days with friends up there and they are a bit worried about a too quick thaw there as well! This can cause a bit of flooding if it warms up suddenly.

The sun is bright and it is up to 25 degrees at 2pm so that is about what we expect for the high today and then maybe back down to 10 degrees like last night.

But take heart, because all of the old timers here are saying the same thing and that every cold winter is followed by a hot summer here in Skagway!:eek: Of course that too is relative and not nearly as warm as East Texas is even today. Hot here is anytime it gets to seventy five more than twice in a summer! But if I was in that heat where you are I guess I would just use that as an excuse to lay out on the porch and enjoy that as much as I do our weather right here!?!;)

Come see us whenever you can! DD

Here in Mesa, AZ where the temps are wanting to kiss that 100 degree mark:eek: ... I am looking forward to cool to cold weather. Rain I won't mind so much coz' I got those waterproof zen-ray binoculars, rain ponchos from LL Bean, my cuddle duds and an insulated coffee thermos!:p

Bring it on... Can I bring a glaciar home HUH!! CAN I CAN I PLEASEEEEE;)

According to Al Gore - any day now:rolleyes:

According to AlGore, it already has warmed up...and we're all gonna die!

I'm just trying to hang on until our cruise in July. I hope Alaska doesn't disappear before then:rolleyes:

According to AlGore, it already has warmed up...and we're all gonna die!

I'm just trying to hang on until our cruise in July. I hope Alaska doesn't disappear before then:rolleyes:

:D :D :D

Right now I'm wondering when ILLINOIS will warm up! After a week with temps in the 70's - we're in for a COLD Easter weekend with highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's.

Temps in the Detroit Metro area of Michigan are only going to be high of 37 for Easter Sunday....I only got to wear my new spring coat 2 days this week and am now back to my winter one!:eek:

[Jeangeorges-----

Bring it on... Can I bring a glaciar home HUH!! CAN I CAN I PLEASEEEEE;)

You bring one home and we will bring one home and maybe we can end our drought. I know down here in Queen Creek we could definitely use the water from a melting glacier.:cool: When are you going to Alaska and what ship?

I didn't think there were Northern Lights now.

We could use those glaciers here too...hot, no rain, fire threat high. It will be nice to escape to Alaska.

Hope all have a "hoppy" Easter...even if you have to wear a winter coat !!

I tried calling the Avis Sitka office about a car for May 7th, and they told me, no, the office does not open until May 15th. I told her someone else had told me they got one for the 14th, and she talked with the manager and said they won't be open.

Might go with Sourdough car rentals. I've been putting it off waiting to see if we could do the drive to Carcross. I'm going to check out the Haines ferry too. I also found a Glacier Bay flightseeing tour for $150 each and am considering that.

Valerie

Hello fellow cruisers...

I'm from Northern Minnesota and I've noticed that there are a few cruisers on this thread who are from very warm climates. If you've never travelled to cold climates (such as Alaska... or Northern Minnesota), you're in for a bit of cold shock. There's a part of the "Cold" equation that hasn't been talked about yet. Right now, the air temperature outside is a balmy 8 degrees F, but when you factor in the 15 mph wind, the air temperature feels like 9 below zero -23 C. Believe me, it's that whole "feels like" effect of the wind that should be considered when travelling to cold climates.

I'm headed up to Alaska mid-June. I'm bringing the new silky longjohns I found at the Mall of America yesterday!

Hello fellow cruisers...

I'm from Northern Minnesota and I've noticed that there are a few cruisers on this thread who are from very warm climates. If you've never travelled to cold climates (such as Alaska... or Northern Minnesota), you're in for a bit of cold shock. There's a part of the "Cold" equation that hasn't been talked about yet. Right now, the air temperature outside is a balmy 8 degrees F, but when you factor in the 15 mph wind, the air temperature feels like 9 below zero -23 C. Believe me, it's that whole "feels like" effect of the wind that should be considered when travelling to cold climates.

I'm headed up to Alaska mid-June. I'm bringing the new silky longjohns I found at the Mall of America yesterday!

Thanks for the info. now I am really freaking out. We cruise Alaska on May 5th and certainly no longjohns available here. Looks like we may have to buy more clothes than we were planning to do when we get to Vancouver. Thanks again.

Goneclear, Try your local JC Penney, Dillards, MAcy etc... and look for cuddle duds they are very thin silky undergarments that keep you really warm. If they should be all sold (should be on clearance) try an outdoor store or go to LLBean on LIne and order theirs.

I was in NH the beginning of March and the temp did not get out of the teens and the wind was horrible. I brought my cuddle duds but no jacket (who knew it was gonna get THAT cold:eek: ) I went to the LL BEan Outlet in NAshua and picked up a Polartec Jacket that with the cuddle duds and I was good to go anywhere!!!

Goneclear, Try your local JC Penney, Dillards, MAcy etc... and look for cuddle duds they are very thin silky undergarments that keep you really warm. If they should be all sold (should be on clearance) try an outdoor store or go to LLBean on LIne and order theirs.

I was in NH the beginning of March and the temp did not get out of the teens and the wind was horrible. I brought my cuddle duds but no jacket (who knew it was gonna get THAT cold:eek: ) I went to the LL BEan Outlet in NAshua and picked up a Polartec Jacket that with the cuddle duds and I was good to go anywhere!!!

Thanks so much but they do not have any of those stores here in Trinidad and if they did they wont be selling warm clothing as we are Most Southern Caribbean Island :) Thats why we arrive in vancouver on the 10th so we can shop for some warm clothes. Dont want to get to much as we most likely wont be using them again.

some people wore tights (like ballet dancers) under their jeans/pants.

knee high socks work well, also. some times the stores show 2 t-shirts worn together..that would work for some extra warmth. if you are on a roll call board, maybe one of your fellow cruiser could pick up some cuddle duds (on sale) for you? you still have time to order something on the 'net and have to arrive before you go. i didn't wear any extra, but my jeans were nice..legs didn't get cold. 3 layers under my windbreaker worked well.

I wouldn't worry so much about being cold. I'm also sailing early, this year on May 11. This will be my 5th trip up in early May (8 if you count B2B's) with another in early June. In port I don't think I've had temps much below low 50's during the day, with some mid 60's. Even at night it hasn't been that cold and by then you're aboard ship. Approaching the glaciers it can get cold factoring in the wind chill but once stopped it can get surprisingly warm.

Unless you are always cold at home you don't need to pack as if you are going to be frozen. Just layer a bit as I bet you will be taking stuff off more than having to put more on.

Doug

Not sure where Concord Ca is...but thx for info re not feeling cold...maybe you are use to chilly weather there...but I am in Florida & my blood is thin. I will like the cool temps though:D

As for Trinadad,,,it will certainly be a chilly time for you. There is a store in Seattle...somewhere...but you could order on line at REI...just do a search & it will pop up...many "winter" type clothes for you!!! Better to order on line & have the stuff...again...company is called "REI"

Archived