When is Alaska going to Warm Up??

GATOR MOM

It's been in the upper 40's for the past few days in Hoonah, the snow is finally melting! The sun is going down around 8:30 pm now, nice.......

Oh, and there has been a few bear sightings, too close to town for my comfort, so I guess spring is finally here.

For southcentral, finally back to around average temps for this time of year. It's about time, after 6 or more weeks of temps over 10 degrees below average!

That means officially around 45 for a high, but feels warmer.

In Carcross the temps have been hitting mid-40s during the day, but well below freezing at night. In contrast to the coast, we've been having glorious sunny days - here's what it's looked like the past few days http://www.railsnorth.com/images/spring_snow-2007.html

:D

Murray

Great pics, Murray! But - do you always shovel snow wearing shorts and no shirt? :eek: (Please don't tell me you were also wearing flip-flops!)

Great pics, Murray! But - do you always shovel snow wearing shorts and no shirt? :eek: (Please don't tell me you were also wearing flip-flops!)

Only when it's sunny and above 30 degrees F - that's "warm" (or "warm enough") after a long winter. :D I was just in Whitehorse wearing shorts and a t-shirt while other folks are still in parkas! Maybe I just have cold blood after a few years of particularly rustic living...

Only when it's sunny and above 30 degrees F - that's "warm" (or "warm enough") after a long winter. :D I was just in Whitehorse wearing shorts and a t-shirt while other folks are still in parkas! Maybe I just have cold blood after a few years of particularly rustic living...

Now that is some Canadian living! ;)

I've washed cars with a garden hose when temps were in the 30's...as soon as it was above freezing...I'd do it...but I never wore shorts while doing it:eek: Great pix ,Yukon...& it sounds like it is warming up:)

Can you tell me if Emerald Lake is frozen? I read somewhere that the lake can still be frozen in early May. That is one of the stops on the train in Skagway that I am looking forward to.

It sure is! - I'll get a piucture and post it tonight

Murray

Hello fellow cruisers...

I'm from Northern Minnesota and I've noticed that there are a few cruisers on this thread who are from very warm climates. If you've never travelled to cold climates (such as Alaska... or Northern Minnesota), you're in for a bit of cold shock. There's a part of the "Cold" equation that hasn't been talked about yet. Right now, the air temperature outside is a balmy 8 degrees F, but when you factor in the 15 mph wind, the air temperature feels like 9 below zero -23 C. Believe me, it's that whole "feels like" effect of the wind that should be considered when travelling to cold climates.

I'm headed up to Alaska mid-June. I'm bringing the new silky longjohns I found at the Mall of America yesterday!

Being from central MN I totally understand!

And I understand Murray in shorts even when it seems "cold" to most people. After a long, hard winter, it seems quite balmy I am sure. My neighor was washing his car in shorts a couple of years ago when it was 35F outside. But after the sub-zero temps we had earlier in the winter, it seemed like a heat wave!

We still have some snow on the ground though this year was not much of a winter snow-wise.

Heck with Alaska, when is it going to warm up in PA? We're in for a MAJOR snow storm THIS weekend April 14.....as for Murray, I can shovel snow dressed like that....especially when my hot flashes hit !!:D

Where in PA? My family is still there (I, however, live in CA now). My mom was telling me about the snow on Easter. She wasn't very happy.

As for Alaska, my 2 DS are actually hoping that they see snow in Alaska in June as it has been about 5 years since they have seen snow (and they were only 3 and 4 at that time, so they don't remember much of it)

MJ

Hi

Thanks Murray for the pix, the view is beautiful but know I am worried. I think I better bring some kind of bootwear. Like many of you I am from FL and don't really like the cold. I thought I read somewhere on this board that the weather can be in the 60 or 70 in May. I am going on May 20th. I think I better go out and buy thermals. Should I really be worried about not seeing those higer temps?

Thanks!

Thanks Murray for the pix, the view is beautiful but now I am worried. I think I better bring some kind of bootwear. Like many of you I am from FL and don't really like the cold. I thought I read somewhere on this board that the weather can be in the 60 or 70 in May. I am going on May 20th. I think I better go out and buy thermals. Should I really be worried about not seeing those higer temps?

The last week of May, we often get temps into the 80s in Carcross, 70s on the coast. The ice is deceiving because it takes a looooong time to melt away ice that's 4-6 feet thick, regardless of the air temperature. BUT, it can be cool too, so as if often said here, bring layers.

Murray

:D Since I like my swimming water bathtub temperature, I think I'll pass on that idea. It always amazed me how how long the snow and ice can take to melt here in Utah. We didn't get much this year, but I remember wanting to go camping one year over Memorial Day. We couldn't get to the campground, as they still had 2 feet of snow, even though it was in the mid 80's down here in the city.

hey Yukon...are you sure there is a lake in that picture:eek:

as for boots...I am one of those Florida folks & got myself a clunky pair of waterproof, thermal boots...ankle high...made by Totes...after the cruise maybe I can use them in hurricanes & be warm too!!! :D

And sorry to those having snow this weekend in Pa...spring will come soon??? But in my opinion...it's better than the 90* here...too early for this heat. But I will get a break in Alsaka:p

:D about the first of June normally. Don't you fancy a Polar Bear dip???

First of JUNE???? @$!^^%@$!#!* We will be there on 5/29! Maybe we should bring a blow dryer to expedite the process a bit. :)

Does the lake look "emerald" as soon as the ice melt away?

Does the lake look "emerald" as soon as the ice melt away?

You can see the emerald colour even as the ice is rotting - it takes 2-3 weeks to go from white (thick ice) through the obvious rotting process to open water. The lake is ringed with ice well into June.

Hey Yukon,

Do they sell postcards of Emerald Lake thawed?:p

MAybe I'll do a "before" and "after" picture!:D

I lived in NH for a few years so I know that weather can change in a heartbeat.... but I am so looking forward to seeing Alaska in whatever "glory" she shows me. :o

Archived