When is Alaska going to Warm Up??

GATOR MOM

The snow is melting fairly quickly now, with temps into the mid-40s during the day now. I mentioned the migrating swans a few days ago - if you hurry, here's ( http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/ ) what you might be treated to. :)

Murray

Murray, once again thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures with all of us! We really do enjoy them and also hearing all about your adventures!

Murray,

I just spent a few minutes reading your blogs and going through your some of the sites you have listed. Wow! Very fun to read. I am at work right now and wish I could spend more time clicking on each link. You make everything so interesting. I must say, I am a city girl, but reading about your life makes me want to leave it all and head North. I don't think I would have to twist my husband's arm too much...his first love is the outdoors. Anyways, thanks for sharing your links, sites, and blogs. I'll be spending hours tonight reading through it all. We will be in Skagway May 8th and rented a car to head to Emerald Lake. We'll look for you and wave.

Thanks again.

Michelle

I hope Alaska is starting to warm up a little! But not too much!!! Here in AZ, we just had our first 100 degree day, so I for one am looking forward tp some cool temps. and maybe bringing a glacier or two home:p

We will see your beautiful state starting on Saturday.:D Cannot wait.

Any weather forecast for the next 7 days?

>>Any weather forecast for the next 7 days?<<

Not that forecasts mean much, but it's fairly good for the next week along the coast. A litte rain, some sun, highs from mid-40s to mid-50s and lows down to just above freezing. Should be a good relief to AZ :D

Murray

I think Murray has it right. IMO, forecasts mean less for Alaska than any place I've ever seen!

It seems that the normal forecast during cruise season is for rain (May - Sept) and after the season is over they change it to snow. ;)

-Monte

I am disappointed by the bashing posts about global warming, who needs facts and science?;) It is very obvious cruisers on this thread don't read/watch news and that's very disappointing.

I try to avoid that discussion and just try to remember that our present administration is just coming around to believing in global warming.

They still don't believe in evolution. Science isn't a stong point for the White House ;)

Thanks for all the great pictures and keeping us updated on the weather.

Looking forward to our trip to Alaska and the Yukon.

I have a OT question for you. Have you ever done any articles on the military units that built the 'Alcan Highway?" My Dad was a member of the 340th Engineers. They were one of the main Army units constructing the Highway. I have a book of his that contains pictures of the area, and of the construction process. Many of the pictures in the book are of some of the same locations that you mention in your pictures. Some of the pictures are of shores of Lake Bennett, 75 mile march from Carcross to Johnson's Crossing, crossing the Tagish River, Teslin Lake, building Morley River bridge, Morris Lake, Watson Lake, towns of Skagway, Whitehorse, Haines, Dawson Creek and Fairbanks. The book is hardbound, and was book producted for the 340th Engineer's by the Army in 1944. Looking forward to seeing some of the same locations myself... 65 years after Him.

Sharon

Murray,

Thank you for the weather update. I know that the forecast doesn't mean a whole lot. I was watching the local weather and the weatherman was up on the roof reporting.."No rain" and just as he said it ... yep, it started to rain LOL

Temps in the 40's & 50's sounds great!!!:p

Lili

Thanks for all the great pictures and keeping us updated on the weather. Looking forward to our trip to Alaska and the Yukon.

I have a OT question for you. Have you ever done any articles on the military units that built the 'Alcan Highway?" My Dad was a member of the 340th Engineers. They were one of the main Army units constructing the Highway. I have a book of his that contains pictures of the area, and of the construction process. Many of the pictures in the book are of some of the same locations that you mention in your pictures. Some of the pictures are of shores of Lake Bennett, 75 mile march from Carcross to Johnson's Crossing, crossing the Tagish River, Teslin Lake, building Morley River bridge, Morris Lake, Watson Lake, towns of Skagway, Whitehorse, Haines, Dawson Creek and Fairbanks. The book is hardbound, and was book producted for the 340th Engineer's by the Army in 1944. Looking forward to seeing some of the same locations myself... 65 years after Him.

Sharon

You're going to have an amazing trip retracing your Dad's footsteps (or cat-tracks). I've done a lot of research about the 340th, but none of it has made it into print yet (my major Alcan history got shelved at the almost-finished state a couple of years ago due to other projects). I assume that it's "Lower Post or Freeze" you have - an extremely valuable book. I have over 80 Alaska Highway books (of the 120+ that have been published), but not that one yet. http://www.greatnorthbooks.com/alcan-bibliography.html

Murray

Murray...

Thanks for the quick reply to my question about an article on the 340th. Yes the book I have is the "Lower Post or Freeze". I also have another book that was Dad's "The Alaska Highway...A Saga of the North" by Don Menzies, Copyrighted 1943. This book is a paperback booklet. it says in the forward..."This little booklet is dedicated to the men who built the Alaskan Highway." It also has lots of pictures and commentary on Alaska.

Guess I need to keep both books stored safely.

Looking forward to our cruise and sightseeing in your great state.

Just let the temperature rise a few degrees..Here in Arkansas it was rainy but, in the 70 - 80's today.

Sharon

It's looking like we're going to have a late Spring. It's been snowing all morning here in Carcross, and on the way to Skagway yesterday the temp in the White Pass was only 33 at noon. There's only the slightest hint of tree budding in Skagway and the ice is still about 18 inches thick on the lakes at Carcross. :(

Murray

I am disappointed by the bashing posts about global warming, who needs facts and science?;) It is very obvious cruisers on this thread don't read/watch news and that's very disappointing.

I've looked for bashing on global warming in this thread and can't find anything. Show me so I can have a chuckle too.

Archived