Dunns Falls and Dolphins, Ocho Rio,Jamaica????

Hi! I am new to this site so this is my first post. However, I have been to Ocho Rios so I can help you here!

My husband and I were there last Jan and we did the Dunn's Falls. It was a lot of fun. We did not arrive by the cruise ship though. We stayed at a local resort and hired a company to take us on this tour. Please be advised, when you do ANY tour in Jamaica through the cruise ship you will be in a very large group of people. This may apply to all cruises, I'm not sure since I haven't taken a cruise before ( I am next year!). Anyway- I noticed while we took our tour there was a very large group from a RC cruise line walking up the falls. They made each person hold hands and really didn't get to experence the true beauty of the falls. If you want more of a private tour you could hire a taxi and drive there yourself and then "tip" a guide to walk you up the falls. You can spend as much time as you want and really take some nice pictures. Those poor people where rushed through while we took our time and took as many pictures as we wanted. I can give you the website of the company we used if you want. I think we paid $40 total for both of us which included pick up and drop off from our hotel and a mini tour of fern gully.

We did not do the dolphin tour. We thought it was really expensive for what they were offering. We met a really nice Canadian couple at the resort and they did this tour. They said it was really fun.

A couple of tips I can give you about this desitination (if you have never been). Jamaica is a beautiful, but very poor country. Everyone that you see or anyone that you talk to will want a tip from you. DO NOT tell anyone you are "from the ship". This applies exspecially if you plan on doing some shopping in the area. They will try to rip you off! Don't buy the T-****s in this shopping center. We bought 8 for $20.00 (really good deal you think?) we wash them once and the XL for men turned into a size 3 months for infants. Total waste of money. Even though we were not "from the ship" they assumed and tried to sell us fake coffee for $15.00 a bag. Once I asked if we brew it at the hotel and don't like, can we bring it back, they said "Oh no then, you don't want this stuff mon' here have the real blue mountain coffee!". Seriously...

Anyway-- Have a super nice time and if you need more info let me know!

No problem... LOL I meant to say T-Shirts but I guess I typed it wrong... Sorry! :eek:

No, I haven't been to thoses locations. I can tell you that tripadvisor has been really helpful when searching for places to visit. Try searching through their forms for great ideas.

We did Dunn's River and Dolphin Cove on our Voyager trip in '05. We did not do the Swim with the Dolphin's or Dolphin Encounter, because we read "it was not worth the extra $$$ for 5 minutes with a Dolphin" We wish we did not follow that advice! The folks that did do the swim/encounter seemed to have a lot of fun and spent A LOT of time in the water with the Dolphins!. They were in the water for something close to 30 minutes, while we just sat and watched. Next time we will definately do it. Have a great trip.

Archived