Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation

greatam

Thanks Greatam for the info. I always wondered how it worked. So for me the question then is, do you request the air deviation right away, or hope to get one of those tickets that is endorsable.

BTW, I have used an air consolidator, but waited to see if the cruise line might offer a better price on the ticket. Have been monitoring prices for a one-way TATL, and the consolidator is 1/4 the price quoted by the airlines and about 2/3 the price of the cruise line---with the important distinction that I can fly out of my home airport rather than driving 1 to 1 1/2 hours to catch the first leg. I feel like the airlines tie my hands when it comes to one-way tickets and hold me hostage (except for SW--yeah, I know:( ). I'll stop my complaining, but it really frustrates me!!!!!!!

I also hope they make this a sticky!!!!

Thanks Greatam for the info. I always wondered how it worked. So for me the question then is, do you request the air deviation right away, or hope to get one of those tickets that is endorsable.

BTW, I have used an air consolidator, but waited to see if the cruise line might offer a better price on the ticket. Have been monitoring prices for a one-way TATL, and the consolidator is 1/4 the price quoted by the airlines and about 2/3 the price of the cruise line---with the important distinction that I can fly out of my home airport rather than driving 1 to 1 1/2 hours to catch the first leg. I feel like the airlines tie my hands when it comes to one-way tickets and hold me hostage (except for SW--yeah, I know:( ). I'll stop my complaining, but it really frustrates me!!!!!!!

I also hope they make this a sticky!!!!

You will almost have to request air deviation immediately, but you will not know what kind of ticket you have UNTIL you actually see the ticket. Per my example, you may or may not get an endorsable ticket.

The consolidator most likely will have the same kind of non endorsable tickets the cruise line books. Consolidators also buy tickets at XXX price and resell them-the airlines do not care how much they sell them for.

Post your dates, your departure and arrival airports. We will try to help. Have you looked into AerLingus?? They have one way tickets. You may have to book 2 tickets-your home airport/close airport to JFK or Boston with an open jaw return wherever the ship comes in and a separate one way ticket on AerLingus to your European destination.

And passengers are sometimes referred to as SLF - Self Loading Freight.

I've never heard that one.

SLF to us are cows, sheep or pigs. Takes a certain kind of driver (no sense of smell) to haul those.

If you book with the cruise line but deviate because you want to go a few days early, is this a safe bet that you will get there before the cruise starts?

We are booked from Detroit to LA (and whatever along the way), then La to Tahiti. After the cruise it is the same except from Hawaii not Tahiti.

I am hoping that because I am staying at their pre-cruise hotel that they will want to get me there on time, or am I being naive?

Forgot to add: Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us all, this is very interesting!!

SLF to us are cows, sheep or pigs. Takes a certain kind of driver (no sense of smell) to haul those.

I always thought the drivers could tolerate the smell because it was all behind them:rolleyes: .

Greatam, will start another thread about my travel plans, as if this becomes a sticky, don't want to have hijacked the thread.

Wanted to add my thanks also for this sticky thread. Don't know what I was thinking by letting the cruise line do the air for me. Then being at their mercy of having to take what they throw at you.

I just booked my own air and hotel and saved $500 over what the cruise lines wanted. I got non stop direct flights at the times WE want to travel. Snice we are going to the departure port a few days early this is no concern of making it to the boat in time. All without having to pay the air "I'm so stupid" deviation fee. Yes there is always a risk of cancellations or change in plans, but that goes with every airline ticket you purchase now days unless you are rich or dumb enough to pay full fare. Anyone with internet connection can work their own schedueles and fare searches. It ain't rocket science.

Wanted to add my thanks also for this sticky thread. Don't know what I was thinking by letting the cruise line do the air for me. Then being at their mercy of having to take what they throw at you.

I just booked my own air and hotel and saved $500 over what the cruise lines wanted. I got non stop direct flights at the times WE want to travel. Snice we are going to the departure port a few days early this is no concern of making it to the boat in time. All without having to pay the air "I'm so stupid" deviation fee. Yes there is always a risk of cancellations or change in plans, but that goes with every airline ticket you purchase now days unless you are rich or dumb enough to pay full fare. Anyone with internet connection can work their own schedueles and fare searches. It ain't rocket science.

fortunately this isn't always true. I purchased a cruise got them to change the flights to non-stops and the date I wanted to go so I was there early without any fee....and they were less than I could purchase them directly.

Also thanks Greatam....but I still think my driving directions are better :) just kidding.....

fortunately this isn't always true. I purchased a cruise got them to change the flights to non-stops and the date I wanted to go so I was there early without any fee....and they were less than I could purchase them directly.

Also thanks Greatam....but I still think my driving directions are better :) just kidding.....

You lucked out on your air tickets. The cruise line HAD NOT sold off their original allocation, so you got the primo seats. Doesn't happen very often.

We will keep arguing about NYC driving directions forever. I had to go to the Red Hook area from Port Newark a couple weeks ago. Decided to take the "short cut" through Manhattan. Not only was traffic an absolute bear, but I GOT LOST trying to get around all the taxis to get to the Battery tunnel. Somehow ended up in Alphabet City. Saw the Williamburg sign and KNEW where I was. My driver's are not letting me live that one down easily. I will definitely stick to the Interstates with the BIG SIGNS from now on. LOL!!!

You lucked out on your air tickets. The cruise line HAD NOT sold off their original allocation, so you got the primo seats. Doesn't happen very often.

We will keep arguing about NYC driving directions forever. I had to go to the Red Hook area from Port Newark a couple weeks ago. Decided to take the "short cut" through Manhattan. Not only was traffic an absolute bear, but I GOT LOST trying to get around all the taxis to get to the Battery tunnel. Somehow ended up in Alphabet City. Saw the Williamburg sign and KNEW where I was. My driver's are not letting me live that one down easily. I will definitely stick to the Interstates with the BIG SIGNS from now on. LOL!!!

It takes a lot to wind up in alphabet city ...from the west side.(alphabet city for those who don't have an idea of what we are talking about is avenues a b c and d on the east side of Manhattan between the Williamsburg Bridge(actually Houston Street) and 14 th street....I rarely get lost even like today when I had to detour through the Bronx because of a car fire and then a second fire on the LIE getting to the BQE----mostly interstates....you really should get a GPS I use a Navman 510....

You seem to know about air travel.We where flying to Vancouver May 30,our flight was canceled,because it couldn't land in DFW.They tried to put us on another flight .But non would get us there in time to get on the ship.We never left Dallas.AA will not refund our money to Carnival for the flight to Vancouver.They refunded our return money.Carnival has tried everything.I have all my boarding passes that haven't been used.Don't know what to do.We bought air fare from Carnival.

You seem to know about air travel.We where flying to Vancouver May 30,our flight was canceled,because it couldn't land in DFW.They tried to put us on another flight .But non would get us there in time to get on the ship.We never left Dallas.AA will not refund our money to Carnival for the flight to Vancouver.They refunded our return money.Carnival has tried everything.I have all my boarding passes that haven't been used.Don't know what to do.We bought air fare from Carnival.

I really do not understand your question. Evidently Carnival made no effort to get you to the ship any place beyond Vancouver??? Or did you choose not to board the ship after it left Vancouver?

If you chose not to board the ship beyond Vancouver, AA, Carnival nor your insurance company owes you anything. IF you were prevented from boarding the ship at another port due to PSA regulations, you must look to Carnival for reimbursement.

In either case, AA owes you nothing UNLESS you booked AND PAID FOR air deviation tickets in a fare class OTHER than consolidator class tickets. Per my explanation, IF you booked air deviation (did you???), you may or may not have consolidator class tickets. IF you booked "normal" cruise air, you will have to look to Carnival for reimbursement.

Carnival, as a general rule, buys tickets in bulk at consolidator rates. Airline sells cruise line tickets at XXXX price. Carnival resells them at whatever the market will bear.

AT that point in time, Carnival is now the booking agent for the airlines. All the airline has to do is make a seat available-nothing more is owed to the passenger. And I am sure AA made a seat available-it obviously was not on the date you needed it.

Since I have NOT seen your tickets nor know why Carnival did not try to get you to another port, I cannot give you an absolutely definitive answer. But as a general rule, Carnival owes you for the tickets UNLESS you refused to board the ship some place other than in Vancouver. Then you are owed nothing.

We where flying to Vancouver May 30,our flight was canceled,because it couldn't land in DFW.They tried to put us on another flight .But non would get us there in time to get on the ship.We never left Dallas.
The way I understand this, AA couldn't get you a flight that would get you to Vancouver before the ship sailed, so you yourselves decided to abandon the trip in Dallas?

Or was it that AA refused to carry you from Dallas to Vancouver on an alternative flight?

I think we really need to know this in order to give you any real advice.

If you made the decision not to travel beyond Dallas and go home, I suspect that nobody owes you anything. It was your decision not to travel. But if you let us know more, we might be able to help more.

we where not alowed to get on ship at another port because of the Jones Act.Carnival has been great.AA gave us a refund as of today.The didn't give us money back,but money to use for a cruise and airfare for next year.that is ok by us just have to wait another year.If we could have boarded the ship at the next port we would have.

I am very confused. We are a group of 9 adults flying out of Toronto ( I hope) to catch the Celebrity Mercury for the Jan. 6 Auckland to Sydney cruise. We have booked the air/cruise package through a TA. The TA says we wont get the air schedule until 30 to 45 days ahead but by than if we dont like our flight it is too late to redeem our deposit.

Is there is chance we will not get on a plane in time to catch our ship in Auckland do you think? Do you think there is a possibility we could be 40 hours flying? Should we be taking out the air diviation, how much is it and can we all take it out. Is it worth it. I am still not sure what the air diviation is but since this is the furthest I have ever flown and with a group I am now getting nervous and need all the advice I can get.

Thanks Brenda

I am very confused. We are a group of 9 adults flying out of Toronto ( I hope) to catch the Celebrity Mercury for the Jan. 6 Auckland to Sydney cruise. We have booked the air/cruise package through a TA. The TA says we wont get the air schedule until 30 to 45 days ahead but by than if we dont like our flight it is too late to redeem our deposit.

Is there is chance we will not get on a plane in time to catch our ship in Auckland do you think? Do you think there is a possibility we could be 40 hours flying? Should we be taking out the air diviation, how much is it and can we all take it out. Is it worth it. I am still not sure what the air diviation is but since this is the furthest I have ever flown and with a group I am now getting nervous and need all the advice I can get.

Thanks Brenda

There IS the possibility of not making the ship. There IS the possibility that the trip may take a VERY long time in the air and in and out of airports (about 30+ hours will be almost the bare minimum).

Air deviation MAY be available. I have no idea how much it would be. You could all take it IF there are enough air deviation tickets available. Did you read the first part of this thread? Pretty well explains air deviation and "regular" cruise air (which is what you have booked).

Have you looked into the possibility of booking Toronto to Los Angeles, overnight in Los Angeles and sightsee a little the next day, then on to Auckland and return to Los Angeles from Sydney? Most of the flights to Australia leave late in the evening. Breaks up the trip nicely and you can Priceline an airport hotel at LAX for usually about $65.00.

Don't know what the cruise line is charging you? I can see prices for your dates in the neighborhood of $2000.00pp, INCLUDING $100.00 for a hotel in Los Angeles. Fly out of Toronto on Jan. 2, leave Los Angeles on Jan. 3, arrive Auckland on Jan 5 at 2:00PM. Fly back to LA on Jan 20 about 1:55PM, arrive LAX at 1:05PM the same day, return to Toronto either that day or the next.

IF you are willing to drive to Buffalo, you can cut AT LEAST $150.00pp from the price.

There are MANY, MANY ways to put the flights together. And by taking a break in Los Angeles, two things happen. You have had a break from flying 30 hours almost nonstop AND you KNOW your luggage has at least made it to LA.

IF you book one ticket, through from Toronto to Auckland, you will have NO idea whether your luggage made all the plane changes UNTIL you get to Auckland. Bad time to find out that you have no luggage, ESPECIALLY when you have NO idea which flight or which airline the luggage got misplaced at.

If you need further help or information, you may post OR email-greatam@earthlink.net

• 2 weeks later...

How do you or when do pay for the air diviation...is this at the time of booking, during or before final payment is made or when the tickets become available for you to see what the cruise line offered you...Also, when can you tell the cruise line that you want to use you air diviation......THANKS !!! :confused:

How do you or when do pay for the air diviation...is this at the time of booking, during or before final payment is made or when the tickets become available for you to see what the cruise line offered you...Also, when can you tell the cruise line that you want to use you air diviation......THANKS !!! :confused:

You generally pick out the flights you want, coordinate with your TA and book the deviation flights the same time you book the cruise.

You MAY have to pay the deviation fee ($50-75.00) AND you MAY have to pay additional air fare. IF the flights you want are sold out, the cruise line MAY or MAY NOT be able to get you the specific flights you want. You will DEFINITELY pay extra for those flights.

IF you are booking air deviation anyhow, look into booking your own flights. Fly a day or two early and maybe stay an extra day after the cruise. Usually less expensive and YOU are in control. You can usually book the airport to ship transfers separately. Hotels booked through the cruise line, except in special circumstances like Spring Break, will usually be DOUBLE what you can book them for yourself.

You generally pick out the flights you want, coordinate with your TA and book the deviation flights the same time you book the cruise.

You MAY have to pay the deviation fee ($50-75.00) AND you MAY have to pay additional air fare. IF the flights you want are sold out, the cruise line MAY or MAY NOT be able to get you the specific flights you want. You will DEFINITELY pay extra for those flights.

IF you are booking air deviation anyhow, look into booking your own flights. Fly a day or two early and maybe stay an extra day after the cruise. Usually less expensive and YOU are in control. You can usually book the airport to ship transfers separately. Hotels booked through the cruise line, except in special circumstances like Spring Break, will usually be DOUBLE what you can book them for yourself.

I booked a TA for next October 2008, and since it was longer than the 330 days out, the Cruise line would not let me get the air diviation. So when the air flights become available, after the 330 days, can I get the air deviation and the flights I want then...Thanks....

I booked a TA for next October 2008, and since it was longer than the 330 days out, the Cruise line would not let me get the air diviation. So when the air flights become available, after the 330 days, can I get the air deviation and the flights I want then...Thanks....[/quote

Again, maybe. The cruise line MAY NOT have the flights you want. They also may not be able to get them (did you read the first part of this thread). The only thing you can do is contact your TA at the 330 day mark and see what is available.

I booked a TA for next October 2008, and since it was longer than the 330 days out, the Cruise line would not let me get the air diviation. So when the air flights become available, after the 330 days, can I get the air deviation and the flights I want then...Thanks....[/quote

Again, maybe. The cruise line MAY NOT have the flights you want. They also may not be able to get them (did you read the first part of this thread). The only thing you can do is contact your TA at the 330 day mark and see what is available.

I do not have a travel Agent....So I'll call the Cruise line at 330 days and see what they have available...Thanks....Again for your help! :o

I do not have a travel Agent....So I'll call the Cruise line at 330 days and see what they have available...Thanks....Again for your help! :o

FYI, I tried getting an air deviation quote from Celebrity for our June 16 Mediterranean cruise. They told my TA that they wouldn't give quotes on custom air until 9 months out. We're traveling with small children and I really wanted to be sure to get the Delta ATL-VCE and BCN-ATL nonstops. We're not very flexible about when and how we want to fly on this trip. The BCN-ATL nonstop especially looked like it was filling up, so we just booked it ourselves. BTW it was cheaper than the regular Celebrity air quote, so I can't imagine that the custom air quote would've beaten the fare we got.

--Junglejane

• 1 month later...

You need to find out if it is even available. I was going to do this with Celebrity (for a cruise in February) and they just happened to e-mail me what would have been both my prefered airline and times ($520.00pp with the diviation fee to Florida). My Dh was missing from the quote, so I e-mailed them back that everything was fine but they needed to add another person. By the time I called to find out why I had not heard back I found out the reason was that the flights were no longer available and my only option with Celebrity was to fly in the same day on mystery flights. This was not that surprising since I was finding the one way return on-line for $1,500pp (one way). Anyway, we finally booked our own flights and somehow managed to do it for the same cost as going through Celebrity (including adding the transfer cost).

FYI, I tried getting an air deviation quote from Celebrity for our June 16 Mediterranean cruise. They told my TA that they wouldn't give quotes on custom air until 9 months out. We're traveling with small children and I really wanted to be sure to get the Delta ATL-VCE and BCN-ATL nonstops. We're not very flexible about when and how we want to fly on this trip. The BCN-ATL nonstop especially looked like it was filling up, so we just booked it ourselves. BTW it was cheaper than the regular Celebrity air quote, so I can't imagine that the custom air quote would've beaten the fare we got.

--Junglejane

I did custom air with Holland America in 2006 to Alaska and they actually beat what I could find on my own by $50.00pp (including the diviation fee). For that trip it was a "great" deal going through the cruiseline as I had HAL's insurance which is the only one who gives 90% back in cash if you cancel for any reason 24 hours prior to cruise departure including air bought through them (it was great piece of mind since we have pets.)

Thanks for all the great information.

We usually arrange our own air but for the TransAtlantic cruises find the cruseline air/transfers a much better deal.

Last year we did a TA from Barcelona to Miami. Used cruiseline air as we couldn't get close to the price for 2 open jaw flights from LAX/Barcelona and Miami/LAX. Flights were OK but no non-stops. I don't think there are many, if any, non-stops from LAX/Barcelona. Couldn't get a non-stop for the return from Miami/LAX as it was Thanksgiving weekend.

We'll be on another TA from London/Boston Sept 2008. Again pricing from the cruise line (including transfers) is much better than anything I can find so far. We requested air deviation at the time of booking. RCI tells me they don't have their contracts set yet and to call back 10 months pre-cruise. I call every week (just in case the contracts are set) and am hoping I can get a non-stop LAX/London flight. I think it's a possibility as there are many non-stops between LAX/London. Keeping my fingers crossed and still checking availability on my own.