Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation

greatam

Why you would get a free overnight is beyond me???? And why you would be repeatedly told you would get a free overnight is also a big question????

Cruise air is booked at the CHEAPEST rates the cruise line can contract for. And the cheapest for most of March are those below.

AA flies nonstop PHX/MIA arriving at 2:40PM

US flies a 12:55AM (very early) arriving at 12:50PM (with two stops).

US also flies a late night (midnight) flight to Charlotte, with early morning connections into MIA. Also a flight to JFK that connects through Las . Arrives JFK early morning-plenty of time for flights to MIA (and there are a lot of flights from NYC to MIA). Also a PHX nonstop to EWR (Newark), arrives again very early morning, with connections to MIA.

Don't count on a free overnight. Don't count on a daytime flight. And don't let yourself be SURPRISED!!!!

BOOK YOUR OWN AIR and fly a day before. Book a Priceline hotel (although that could be iffy due to Spring Break) You will have soooo many less problems and will actually be able to enjoy your cruise. Flying all night and trying to enjoy the first day of your cruise will be a nightmare. And it is definitely a possibility that those are the flights you will be put on. Did you read the first part of this thread????

Depending on where you live, the cruise line does fly you in the night before, if they cannot get you in early on the day of departure. We also live in Arizona, and for cruises out of Florida, they do fly you in the night before. The hotels have never been dives, and so far the air fare has been comparable. Maybe we have just been lucky.l

Reading this thread I realize I may live to regret booking cruise air. But I did and I have a few questions:

1 - How far ahead can/should you request deviation?

2 - How much does deviation cost?

3 - Is it a deviation just to change seats or make a seat request?

4 - Without a deviation will they put people traveling together in seats together?

On 11/27/09 we are flying JFK to Barcelona arriving 11/28/09 so we can do the Gem Transatlantic on the 29th.

Thanks.

You can usually do a deviation starting at 9 months out from a cruise. The closer you get to a cruise, the more likelihood they won't have any seats at their contract rate on the flights you want.

The cost of a deviation depends on the cruiseline. On RCCL it is $75 per person for international flights ($50 domestic) PLUS any differences in airfare.

A deviation has nothing to do with seat assignments. You handle that yourself directly with the airline once your flights are booked (whether you do a deviation or not) The cruiseair department does not handle seat assignments.

• 2 weeks later...
Why you would get a free overnight is beyond me???? And why you would be repeatedly told you would get a free overnight is also a big question????

Cruise air is booked at the CHEAPEST rates the cruise line can contract for. And the cheapest for most of March are those below.

AA flies nonstop PHX/MIA arriving at 2:40PM

US flies a 12:55AM (very early) arriving at 12:50PM (with two stops).

US also flies a late night (midnight) flight to Charlotte, with early morning connections into MIA. Also a flight to JFK that connects through Las . Arrives JFK early morning-plenty of time for flights to MIA (and there are a lot of flights from NYC to MIA). Also a PHX nonstop to EWR (Newark), arrives again very early morning, with connections to MIA.

Don't count on a free overnight. Don't count on a daytime flight. And don't let yourself be SURPRISED!!!!

BOOK YOUR OWN AIR and fly a day before. Book a Priceline hotel (although that could be iffy due to Spring Break) You will have soooo many less problems and will actually be able to enjoy your cruise. Flying all night and trying to enjoy the first day of your cruise will be a nightmare. And it is definitely a possibility that those are the flights you will be put on. Did you read the first part of this thread????

I have been listening to all of the advise on this thread - some pretty strange stories for a newbie to cruise air. We received our airline reservations - non-stop PHX to MIA the day PRIOR to the cruise, an overnight at the Hilton (confirmed) and RT transfers. After the reply from GREATAM I rechecked Carnival's site and they guarentee an overnight stay when flying from the west coast when you purchase the air option.

I guess the proof in in the puddin' so to speak. 16 days to go and counting...we'll report on our experience when we return.:)

I have been listening to all of the advise on this thread - some pretty strange stories for a newbie to cruise air. We received our airline reservations - non-stop PHX to MIA the day PRIOR to the cruise, an overnight at the Hilton (confirmed) and RT transfers. After the reply from GREATAM I rechecked Carnival's site and they guarentee an overnight stay when flying from the west coast when you purchase the air option.

I guess the proof in in the puddin' so to speak. 16 days to go and counting...we'll report on our experience when we return.:)

Carnival CHARGES for the overnight stay, whether you see it in black and white or not. Read the fine print in ANY cruise contract. Cruise air is booked as a CONVENIENCE for customers and the cruise lines reserves the right to charge whatever the traffic will bear. This wording is in almost every cruise contract.

Hopefully you got a good deal and will have a great cruise. But Carnival could have just as easily put you on the AA flight arriving mid afternoon or even the US Air redeye. There are NO guarantees with cruise air and little backing from the cruise line.

From the Carnival Fly Away Program rules:

Cities designated for overnight hotel stays are subject to change and may be withdrawn without prior notice. Carnival is not responsible for any arrangements, inconveniences or costs incurred due to such changes.

Carnival provides complimentary accommodations from applicable cities to Miami, Orlando and Tampa on a double-, triple- or quad-occupancy basis.

The rules are VERY complicated and HEAVILY favor the cruise line. There are few winners with cruise air if there is a problem. Let's hope your trip goes very well. Good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise air sounds scarey! :eek: Too late, we're booked with Carnival's cruise air, Toronto to Miami in May and have just been assigned our flights today (69 days out). We leave Toronto at 10am, arrive in Miami at 1.02pm, the ship sails at 4pm :eek: . They booked us on Air Canada. We cannot go the day before because one of my cruise mates is flying in from Britain, meeting us in Toronto the night before.

We booked through a TA. Should we call to see if they can get us an earlier flight?

Does Air Canada have a good track record for being on time?

Any advice?

I need some help please as never used Custom Air and very confused :o , here is what I am planning.

TA to Miami arriving 21st Nov.

Staying in FLL till 1st Dec then 11 nights on Oasis.

Can I use Custom Air to get back to UK after Oasis cruises, on 12th Dec?

I normally book my flights myself but the price is better this time when booking with cruiseline as price includes flights from London to Malaga & transfers & flight back to UK from Miami.

Thanks

Cruise air sounds scarey! :eek: Too late, we're booked with Carnival's cruise air, Toronto to Miami in May and have just been assigned our flights today (69 days out). We leave Toronto at 10am, arrive in Miami at 1.02pm, the ship sails at 4pm :eek: . They booked us on Air Canada. We cannot go the day before because one of my cruise mates is flying in from Britain, meeting us in Toronto the night before.

We booked through a TA. Should we call to see if they can get us an earlier flight?

Does Air Canada have a good track record for being on time?

Any advice?

Call your TA....not sure if you can get custom air now but the TA should be able to help you.......you'd probably have to fork out some more money......but it may be worth it.

can't help with air canada's timeliness, but knowing the LACK of on time airlines in the US you have better odds!

Call your TA....not sure if you can get custom air now but the TA should be able to help you.......you'd probably have to fork out some more money......but it may be worth it.

can't help with air canada's timeliness, but knowing the LACK of on time airlines in the US you have better odds!

Thanks for your response, we'll see what the TA can do.

I need some help please as never used Custom Air and very confused :o , here is what I am planning.

TA to Miami arriving 21st Nov.

Staying in FLL till 1st Dec then 11 nights on Oasis.

Can I use Custom Air to get back to UK after Oasis cruises, on 12th Dec?

I normally book my flights myself but the price is better this time when booking with cruiseline as price includes flights from London to Malaga & transfers & flight back to UK from Miami.

Thanks

Liz, most likely they won't be able to do what you want even with custom air. Typically they will only do one way air with a transatlantic - and it has to be within a certain timeframe before or after the cruise. Unfortunately, in your case, they would be attaching the air to the Oasis booking, not the transatlantic, in which case they would only book roundtrip air. You can always try though.

Liz, most likely they won't be able to do what you want even with custom air. Typically they will only do one way air with a transatlantic - and it has to be within a certain timeframe before or after the cruise. Unfortunately, in your case, they would be attaching the air to the Oasis booking, not the transatlantic, in which case they would only book roundtrip air. You can always try though.

Thanks Wrona :D

I will give it a try but thought I would ask here first incase any one else had done this.

Of course what might complicate things evn more is TA would be booked with my agent here in UK office and my Oasis bookings are with my US TA.

Thank again

Thanks Wrona :D

I will give it a try but thought I would ask here first incase any one else had done this.

Of course what might complicate things evn more is TA would be booked with my agent here in UK office and my Oasis bookings are with my US TA.

Thank again

That makes it even more clear. I know that someone tried to get one way only cruise after a Rhapsody Australia cruise (they were making their own way to Australia) and even with custom air RCCL wouldn't do it. They would only quote roundtrip air.

That makes it even more clear. I know that someone tried to get one way only cruise after a Rhapsody Australia cruise (they were making their own way to Australia) and even with custom air RCCL wouldn't do it. They would only quote roundtrip air.

Hi Wrona :D

Just wanted to give you update.

Booked my NV TA at the weekend and my agent has just booked our flights using custom air. Heathrow to Malaga to catch the NV Nov 9th,then flight home after Oasis cruises 12th Dec from Miami to Heathrow.

Both flights with BA and a day room in Miami included ...oooh I am so happy :D

Hi Wrona :D

Just wanted to give you update.

Booked my NV TA at the weekend and my agent has just booked our flights using custom air. Heathrow to Malaga to catch the NV Nov 9th,then flight home after Oasis cruises 12th Dec from Miami to Heathrow.

Both flights with BA and a day room in Miami included ...oooh I am so happy :D

Cool!!! I'm glad they were able to work it out for you.

Can someone please tell me exactly wht is meant by "air deviation" and how does that differ from "custom air?" Thanks.

They are the same thing. Custom air is RCCL, Celebrity, and Azamara's term for an air deviation.

I wish I had read all your posts before I booked cruise Air with HAL. We are returning to NY via Minneapolis for a total of 9 hours from start to finish. And were charged a high price for the pleasure. I went with the cruise air because I have a child with me and believed that the cruise line would help if we ran into trouble with the flights. From what I'm reading this isn't true.

Learned a lesson-but the way HAL has handled this is making me very angry with HAL.

Next time, I return to NCL and make my own air arrangements.

• 2 months later...

I have booked an Australia to Asia cruise for 36 days at a fantastic price. No one else could come close to the past passenger rate Princess offered. When I booked it I added everything to the Princess booking. I figure It is 6 months out and I can cancel the options I cannot find better deals with. Well I called to check out an air deviation for 2 days earlier and they confirmed my flights. Of course the cost of the deviation is $75. the flights they confirmed are twice as much as what i can find (at no addditional charge) and one less stop on each leg. the flights are from Tucson AZ to SYD and PEK to TUS. They are all United flights non stop from/to LAX. Non stops also to Tucson. It seems that they have a much better deal than i can find. Is there something I don't see in this picture?

Edited by scmexico

Is there something I don't see in this picture?
Princess does not guarantee the price of the flights until you make full payment. Since it appears you are close to that, go ahead and take the best price you can find. Princess often has better prices for international destinations. Edited by cherylandtk

I have booked an Australia to Asia cruise for 36 days at a fantastic price. No one else could come close to the past passenger rate Princess offered. When I booked it I added everything to the Princess booking. I figure It is 6 months out and I can cancel the options I cannot find better deals with. Well I called to check out an air deviation for 2 days earlier and they confirmed my flights. Of course the cost of the deviation is $75. the flights they confirmed are twice as much as what i can find (at no addditional charge) and one less stop on each leg. the flights are from Tucson AZ to SYD and PEK to TUS. They are all United flights non stop from/to LAX. Non stops also to Tucson. It seems that they have a much better deal than i can find. Is there something I don't see in this picture?

Since you don't post your prices, I have nothing to compare to. I can see a UA/Delta/NW combination for less than $1400.00-nonstop to SYD, one stop in Narita on the return.

I can also see flights on MUCH better airlines meeting your dates (Feb-March) in the low $15-1600's. Yes, one airline has a stop in HKG and one has a stop in Narita. When you are on a long haul flight, comfort and service is DEFINITELY something you want to consider.

One other problem-the ONLY UA flight from Peking arrives LAX at 5:30PM. Nonstops to Tucson leave at 6:25 and 8:45. You will NEVER make the 6:25 flight. You have to clear immigration AND customs and recheck your luggage. NOT doable in less than an hour. The 8:45 flight is canceled about 48% of the time. So you have almost a 50% chance of spending the night at LAX because there are no more flights to Tucson that evening.

Your choice-just MAKE sure you know what you are buying with all ramifications of cruise air BEFORE you pay the money.

The cruise is in Feb of 2010. The cruise air is $1817. the flights are

TUS to LAX UA 6391 18:20 to 18:49

LAX to SYD UA 0839 22:17 to 7:50 +2days

PEK to SFO UA 5453 16:00 to 12:20

SFO to TUS UA 6352 18:45 to 20:45

If I do a booking on United the price is $4510.

I like the one connection each way and the non stop on the long haul. The delta flights i looked at all had connecitons in SLC in Feb which can always be a concern for weather.

Final payment has not been made. these flights include my requested air deviation for 2 days early.

I agree with greatam. Just be very careful and read all the fine print. As you know, we had a terrible time with HAL air but NCL air was great. We have another trip to Europe on NCL in Nov. and I booked my own flight. We were treated so shabbily by HAL, I'm not willing to take the chance on any cruise air again.

But, again, read the fine print. Maybe it will work out for you.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, all this sounds scary. We are booked on RCCL Rhapsody Sydney Jan 7. We're flying from LAX to SYD. We are offered air from RCCL at $1099 each rt. That is quite a bit less than what I find on Orbitz. We haven't paid yet and after reading this, perhaps we should cancel the air, pay a little more and find our own? What would you do?