Artificial Nails

If I choose to have artificial nails, gel or acrylic applied for the first time >1. How much time does it take ? >2. Would they stay on and be worry free for a 15 day cruise ?

I'm having sooooo much trouble with my normally great natural nails, I'm about to give up and try the artificials. Any helpful info. will be greatly appreciated ! We sail in 9 days.

I used to get acrylic done all the time. It takes about 30 min, they used to cost me $40.00 for the white tip (french style) and I never had one fall off, I had to get them filled when my nails would grow and still never lost one.

I stopped getting them done and unfortunately due to the length I had been having them applied my nails have never been the same since, very brittle now.

If you are just doing them for the cruise I say go for it!

Hi Golfunkitties,

I have worn acrilic nails for many years, the only drawback is salt water tends to lift them. If you are an avid beach person you might have a problem. There is a nail salon on the ship, but they are expensive compared to nail salons at home. Hope this helps, I have not tried the other types of nails, maybe someone else might be able to help you there.

Hi Golfnkitties,

I have worn acrilic nails for many years, the only drawback is salt water tends to lift them. If you are an avid beach person you might have a problem. There is a nail salon on the ship, but they are expensive compared to nail salons at home. Hope this helps, I have not tried the other types of nails, maybe someone else might be able to help you there.

Hi Robin

I would go for solar nails (gel) because they look very natural and they will last for 2-3 weeks before you get a fill (or repaired). If you have never had any kind of artificial nail, I would go ahead and get them put on as soon as you can. That way you can have a few days to get used to them or have one repaired before your cruise.

If you are going to paint your nails with a color, I would just have acrylic tips put on. With a color on them you will not need solar nails or gel nails.

I have on acrylic nails now. I had switched to gel once, and I they didn't last as long for me. I only put them on for special occasions, and I plan to have them on for my cruise. I would definitely recommend them :D

I had acrylic nails for several years until I developed an allergy to the primer they used (severe itching on my fingers, skin peeling off :eek: ). I went for a pedicure for our cruise and was told they had a new primer. Voila! No troubles. I had gel nails put on because during a 10-day cruise I figured the polish would get pretty battered and I could repair it myself but sooner or later it would look like I needed a fill. Gel allows you to take off the polish and have a more natural look. It worked well for me, and I went snorkeling- no worries.

I've had gel nails (called "Pink and White") for years and they are fantastic. I only have to get refils every three weeks and unlike acrylic (which I used to have years ago) . . . the gel doesn't discolor in salt water so they are perfect for cruises where you are in the water a lot (such as in the Carribbean). The initial set takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to apply and the refils take a little less than a hour. It all depends on your nail teck . . . some are faster and some take more time. I'm trying to remember when I first started using artificial nails and I think it was sometime back in the 70's when I was flight attendant and was forever on "nail check" . . . I bit my nail until they bled. :eek:

Is it possible to have acrylic or gel nails put on just for a cruise or special occasion and then take them off without damaging your natural nails? If so, can you take them off yourself or do you go back to the salon to have it done?

Is it possible to have acrylic or gel nails put on just for a cruise or special occasion and then take them off without damaging your natural nails? If so, can you take them off yourself or do you go back to the salon to have it done?

I think your nails would be somewhat damaged just for the simple fact they first file down your own nail before applying the acrylic, gel, etc. nail.

I would go back to the salon to have them removed. But if you leave them on for at least a month (since you are not used to gel nails/acrylic nails), they will be easier to soak off and not so hard on your nail bed.

• Administrators
Yes, its usually airbrushed on. But I've discovered that the white tips with that chip/wear off a lot quicker than if you just have regular polish on.

How about a "permanent french"...this is where the "french white" is embedded within your finish of choice (acrylic or gel, or even over silk wraps) instead of simply painted on your nail.

Laura

I do believe what LauraS is talking about are called, "pink and whites". I have them myself. I have pink and whites in acrylic, and then my nail tech brushes a gel overlay (similar to a top coat of clear nail polish), on them, and then I put them under the curing light for about 3 minutes, and I have the best of both worlds! I have a beautiful french manicure look without the chipping of polish, plus it doesn't turn "yellow" as stated above, because the gel overlay prevents that. I prefer this look because I don't ever have to worry that my nail polish "clashes" with my outfit - the "french" goes with anything!

I just got back from the 3/11 sailing of Mariner of the Seas, and my nails looked great the whole time! No yellowing, no dulling, and no chipping.

Go for it!

I would go back to the salon to have them removed. But if you leave them on for at least a month (since you are not used to gel nails/acrylic nails), they will be easier to soak off and not so hard on your nail bed.

The longer you let them grow out before removal, the easier they are to remove.Taking them off yourself hurts like, well, you know what! :D The salon I go to (or I did go to before I gave up on acrylics all togther) would remove them for no charge.

If you want to remove them at home yourself there is an easy way but you have to be VERY careful. You might have to enlist another pair of hands to help wrap your fingers. Go to the hardware store and buy a bottle of acetone. Lightly soak 10 cotton balls with it and lay them on your acrylic. Wrap the tips of your fingers with foil and let it sit for about 10 minutes. You should be able to pull/scrape the acrylic with a pair of nail clippers very easily.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it or not for my upcoming cruise. Probably should try it out first at home.

I have worn the pink and white acrylics with the gel topcoat for years and I love them. Sometimes instead of the gel I will have a colored polish for a change and it really is the best of both worlds.

You can have acrylic nails with no tips at all put on. This is what I do as I do not want long nails, just stronger. It is called an overlay and basically they just apply the acrylic on top of your own nails. In the Seattle area at least, long nails are out and I don't think too many people have the artifical tips put on anymore. I keep mine very short, when I turn my hand over they don't even peek past my fingertips. I do have to go for a fill every 2 weeks though to keep them short enough.

Just an idea for someone who does not want the fake tips put on but need some extra strength!

Alot of really great answers ! I have decided that I will just go with my natural nails for this upcoming cruise. We sail a week from today, 3 cheers ! :D

My natural nails on left hand are great, nice length, but my right hand, I am very right handed, are all short and stubby, plus split at end by tips. Our dry desert weather is terrible on nails, skin and hair, but I wouldn't change it ! The gal that does my nails, sort of glues the tips prior to a manicure, she'll even them up, so I'll be all short and stubby ! Once I get home from manicure, I put on a coat of Sally Hansen MEGA SHINE extended wear top coat, and maybe every 4 or 5 days, another coat, so my manicure really lasts. I'll just get a light silver white color, my toes make up for it, as for cruising I always have "Happy Toes" or rather a different color on each toe !

I do think I'll try the artificial nails after we get home.

Thanks again for all the great info. ! :D

Archived