Please help with Ship Class!

Faithfulcruiser10

Hope you can help. I'm wondering if any of you can tell me which Princess ships are in which classes. I find it confusing that the Island and Coral are called Sun Class ships while they are not sisters to the other Sun Class ships. Am I right, that while all sister ships will be in the same class, all ships in a class may not be sisters? So please if you can, will you list all the classes and the ships that are in each one. Please and thank you. :)

they are listed on the web site of Princess. www.princess.com There is a section on that very subject. You are right in that the Coral/Island are classified as sun class but they are not sisters to the other sun class of the Dawn,Sea and Sun. Now I wenr into the web site and now cannot find it so let us see what I can do. The grand class ships are Caribbean, Crown, Grand, Golden and Star, The Sun class ships are Sea, Sun and Dawn. I explained about the Coral/Island. The new Emerald will be a grand class. Now the Tahitian and Pacific Princess 2 ships are former Renaissance ship and for the life of me cannot remember the class name. The new Royal and the REgal which will be leaving soon will no doubt fall under that class. Maybe someone else out there and tell you the name of the class of the smaller ships

Marilyn

they are listed on the web site of Princess. www.princess.com There is a section on that very subject. You are right in that the Coral/Island are classified as sun class but they are not sisters to the other sun class of the Dawn,Sea and Sun.

Marilyn

I went to the Princess.com site but can't seem to find the section on the ship classes. Sorry for being a bit dense. :o

mii, thank you so much! I had been looking on the princess site for a while and couldn't seem to find it. It's driving me nuts about the unnamed class. lol. was it the regal class? thanks again.

Faith

Oops! I posted on my mom's account. she's 'tsj' and I'm 'Faithfulcruiser' (faith). multi generational cruise addicts. lol.

Tahitian, Pacific, and Royal Princess are usually called R-class, as that was their class title when built for Renaissance Cruises.

Island and Coral are Coral class, but some wonk at Princess lumped them into the Sun class. Being totally different hulls, propulsion systems, and shipyards - they are a different class.

Regal and Crown were a separate class, Regal.

The old Royal Princess, now Artemis for P&O (UK) was a one-of type.

The others are Grand and modified Grand class.

I didn't even know you had to go to a ship class.....I guess I need help too.

Tannersgramp,

lol. since im cruising this july, do i have to go to summer school ship class. (can you say that three times fast.)

Druke,

thank you so much. It drives me crazy that I've been on the Coral and the Dawn they are NOT the same ship. I like them both but they're not the same.

~*Faith*~

I've noticed that Princess now refers to sister ships versus using a class (Sun or Grand). Maybe it's because they have so many variations. The ship class used to mean it was the same design as it's namesake and if you had been on one Sun class ship it was the same as the Sun Princess. I have never heard of the Coral and Island being called Sun class ships. In fact I heard them called Coral class. Here's information from a press release in 2005 that explains that the Coral and Island were based on the Grand but made smaller in order to go through the Panama Canal. BTW, we've been on the Island Princess twice and heard the captains refer to her as a Coral class ship.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na732&submit=pk

Dramatic Growth

In 1995 the line entered a new era defined by innovative ship design and an impressive newbuild program. A new concept in cruising, introduced as Grand Class Cruising® and subsequently named Personal Choice Cruising®, redefined the idea of a cruise vacation by offering passengers a greater range of dining and entertainment options, introducing the concept of 24-hour dining, and making the luxury of a private balcony an affordable amenity for all rather than a pricey feature for an exclusive few. Beginning with the 77,000-ton Sun Princess, which at the time was the largest cruise ship in the world, Princess began introducing ships featuring multiple dining and entertainment venues and hundreds of balcony staterooms. The shipbuilding program continued with a number of sister ships, including Dawn Princess in 1997, Sea Princess in 1998, and Ocean Princess in 2000.

However, the most dramatic step in the line's newbuild program came with the 1998 introduction of the 109,000-ton Grand Princess, which debuted as the world's largest and most expensive cruise ship. The ship brought the concept of choice in cruising to a new level and featured the never-before-seen total of three main dining rooms and entertainment lounges, a greatly expanded number of alternative dining venues, and an array of new features, including a wedding chapel, a dramatic nightlclub 15 decks above the ocean and more balconies than on any other cruise ship. This ship proved remarkably popular and is spawned an entirely new class of ships which incorporate these features today -- Golden Princess (2001), Star Princess (2002) and Caribbean Princess (2004).

The Princess fleet expansion continued with the introduction of two new ship designs based on these successful models. Coral Princess (2003) and Island Princess (2003) were conceived to offer many of the Personal Choice features of Grand Princess in a smaller vessel that could transit the Panama Canal. The Grand Princess design also inspired Diamond Princess (2004) and Sapphire Princess (2004), which offered some additional elements such as themed dining rooms. All four of these vessels also were powered by a new gas turbine/diesel engine combination that allowed for efficient and environmentally sound operation.

I've noticed that Princess now refers to sister ships versus using a class (Sun or Grand). Maybe it's because they have so many variations. The ship class used to mean it was the same design as it's namesake and if you had been on one Sun class ship it was the same as the Sun Princess. I have never heard of the Coral and Island being called Sun class ships. In fact I heard them called Coral class. Here's information from a press release in 2005 that explains that the Coral and Island were based on the Grand but made smaller in order to go through the Panama Canal. BTW, we've been on the Island Princess twice and heard the captains refer to her as a Coral class ship.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na732&submit=pk

Dramatic Growth

In 1995 the line entered a new era defined by innovative ship design and an impressive newbuild program. A new concept in cruising, introduced as Grand Class Cruising® and subsequently named Personal Choice Cruising®, redefined the idea of a cruise vacation by offering passengers a greater range of dining and entertainment options, introducing the concept of 24-hour dining, and making the luxury of a private balcony an affordable amenity for all rather than a pricey feature for an exclusive few. Beginning with the 77,000-ton Sun Princess, which at the time was the largest cruise ship in the world, Princess began introducing ships featuring multiple dining and entertainment venues and hundreds of balcony staterooms. The shipbuilding program continued with a number of sister ships, including Dawn Princess in 1997, Sea Princess in 1998, and Ocean Princess in 2000.

However, the most dramatic step in the line's newbuild program came with the 1998 introduction of the 109,000-ton Grand Princess, which debuted as the world's largest and most expensive cruise ship. The ship brought the concept of choice in cruising to a new level and featured the never-before-seen total of three main dining rooms and entertainment lounges, a greatly expanded number of alternative dining venues, and an array of new features, including a wedding chapel, a dramatic nightlclub 15 decks above the ocean and more balconies than on any other cruise ship. This ship proved remarkably popular and is spawned an entirely new class of ships which incorporate these features today -- Golden Princess (2001), Star Princess (2002) and Caribbean Princess (2004).

The Princess fleet expansion continued with the introduction of two new ship designs based on these successful models. Coral Princess (2003) and Island Princess (2003) were conceived to offer many of the Personal Choice features of Grand Princess in a smaller vessel that could transit the Panama Canal. The Grand Princess design also inspired Diamond Princess (2004) and Sapphire Princess (2004), which offered some additional elements such as themed dining rooms. All four of these vessels also were powered by a new gas turbine/diesel engine combination that allowed for efficient and environmentally sound operation.

wdrl,

Thank you very much for the article. I didn't realize how many new ships Princess has launched in the last few years.

~*Faith*~

Archived