Gaucho Pants?

TMarie

We will be going on a 10 day Princess Alaskan cruise and my daughter, aged 13 is not into "girlie" clothing. She will wear the gauchos though and has both brown and black in the knee style. Has anyone been on Princess and seen the longer ones worn on formal night? Do you think they would work for her? Other cruises she has worn them with a blouse and flats and has been fine. She is 5'5" and healthy looking. Can anyone suggest where to find some fancy ones (preferably knit material as she also doesn't like jeans).

Thank you

I'm not sure wearing them for formal night. I've seen posts that say OK but have seen ones that say "No" as well. If you go strictly by the printed information from the cruise line, it would be no. Who knows? :confused:

If you're looking for knit gauchos, try Fashion Bug. I love gauchos and I have purchased mine there. They're having a sale this week too! :D

Everything always comes back in style and why not just make your "own" style? :) If I feel it works, I could care less what they're showing in magazines or what anybody else has to say about it! :eek:

It's a good thing I'm not the only one. I don't even know WHAT they're showing in magazines these days. I just wear what I like and what makes me feel good. I figure I'll go with this now. I'll wait until my daughters become teenagers and tell me "Mom, your outfit is so last year!" :D

I found my latest formal purchase on a clearance rack because it was "last year's style". Who knew? :rolleyes: Unless you're in the industry, who really knows that stuff anyhow?

I think that's a touch harsh. I have seen some beautiful gaucho suits and with the right cut and fit they can be quite stylish. I do agree that they may be more suitable for certain body types but I wouldn't rule them out for everybody. This one in particular is similar to a wool suit I had and I loved it!:)

Guess it's just a difference in personal preference. I think that outfit is definitely not flattering. I have never seen gouchos that flatter anyone, but different strokes.

It's a good thing I'm not the only one. I don't even know WHAT they're showing in magazines these days. I just wear what I like and what makes me feel good. I figure I'll go with this now. I'll wait until my daughters become teenagers and tell me "Mom, your outfit is so last year!" :D

I found my latest formal purchase on a clearance rack because it was "last year's style". Who knew? :rolleyes: Unless you're in the industry, who really knows that stuff anyhow?

I also wear what I like. At 49 I think I am entitled. My 29 year old daughter is fond of telling me "You got off the fashion train a loooong time ago!":p

I thought that "gaucho" implied short, wide legged pants. Full length pants that are styled like gauchos would just be called wide leg pants, no?

Considering the pictures in the post above, I agree with you - that's not my idea of gauchos - just wide legged pants.:confused:

I find gauchos look fine on me & I'm 5'2, fairly slim. I have three pairs that you are meant to fold over the top at the waist -- this way I can adjust them to whatever length I want by folding over more fabric. No more hemming!

Thanks everyone for your input and help. I'm not sure what they're called anymore - when I was a teen (many, many, years ago....) wide-legged pants were called "Navy style" and gauchos were the knee type wider style. It seems clothes are brought out again and again w/different names :). I think I'll try to find some shiny, soft ones that she might feel comfortable with. She is very "fabric" sensitive, even seams can bother her.

Ok I searched and I found something that I think will work. They're called Palazzo pants, they're soft, stretchy, floor length and they have them in black!! I found them at Metrostyle and DD says she likes them!!

I'm ordering two pairs!! Now I have to find a few tops to go w/them.

Thanks again.

I think gauchos look good on me and find them comfortable as well. I have a casual terry gaucho set that I wear hanging around the ship during the day and always get several compliments on it and I have your basic black gauchos that I wear with a black halter and high heels for a casual night at dinner. I think if worn with appropriate tops/shoes/etc...then they are very complimentary in the right place. I'll see if a pic from our past cruise comes through below and those are the gauchos for casual night that I wear out.

So I think it's just each person opinions on how they feel in them.

1492867540_Picture678.jpg.476099fe9179f2395d97d2c23f36ac59.jpg

These are not gauchos....at least not the way that they have always been defined in the past. Gauchos, in my mind, are not full length, as these pants are. But who knows what the fashion industry calls anything anymore. :rolleyes:

Guess it's just a difference in personal preference. I think that outfit is definitely not flattering. I have never seen gouchos that flatter anyone, but different strokes.

I was sitting in the shoe department at Nordstrom yesterday and this young woman walked by and I could not believe what I saw. She was wearing gauchos with chunky high heel boots with socks peeking out over the tops of the tall boots. She looked ridiculous. She was tall, slender, and totally over-accessorized. She looked like she was trying to pull off a fashion magazine look and was obviously clueless. Maybe it was the silly socks with good-looking boots that turned her from a fashion do to a fashion don't. And, the cut and length of the gauchos were just the wrong proportion. She just looked like she was trying too hard.

--Judy

These are not gauchos....at least not the way that they have always been defined in the past. Gauchos, in my mind, are not full length, as these pants are. But who knows what the fashion industry calls anything anymore.

I posted those because somebody asked about long gaucho pants, and I thought those looked like longer versions of the short ones. I don't have any, so what do I know :)

I was sitting in the shoe department at Nordstrom yesterday and this young woman walked by and I could not believe what I saw. She was wearing gauchos with chunky high heel boots with socks peeking out over the tops of the tall boots. --Judy

Judy, the knee socks (and over the knee socks) peeking out above tall boots is actually a "goth" look that is crossing over into mainstream. You'll be seeing them and a lot of other knee socks next winter season.

Judy, the over the knee socks peeking out above tall boots is actually a "goth" look that is crossing over into mainstream. You'll be seeing them and a lot of other knee socks next winter season.

My son's goth friends looked a lot "darker" than this woman. She certainly didn't fit that old look. I always loved knee socks -- back in the olden days -- never patterned; always coordinated with my sweaters, with Weejuns, Pappagalos, and Villager skirts and sweaters. I was also in high school at the time. We wore culottes, which are way different IMHO than gauchos. More skirt-like, but maybe I am still living in the 60s:p

Judy

I am a 5ft 8 in fluffy girl as well, I just bought some last week. I have thick ones i wear with matching jackets and boots. And some loose jean ones I wear with wedge strappy sandals, and some dressy thinner ones I wear with heels and a nice blouse. They are very much being worn and sold in most stores. I think they look very nice if you match them up right.

Archived