Table for One, Please...

sealegirl

I'm a 20-something going on my first cruise and going solo... I picked anytime dining. Is dining alone going to be difficult/awkward? How does the seating work? Can I request to be seated with other like-aged singles?Will there be other like-aged singles on a Caribbean Princess cruise?

:confused:

anytime dining is a good option for a single pax, as you can either ask to be seated at a larger table (and meet new people at every meal) or you can dine alone at a table for two if you prefer. I have dined alone at breakfast, and it is a rather peaceful experience when you don't feel like chatting. You will always have the option of joining a larger table if you prefer company. for this option, you would be generally seated at the next available table, and these are not segregated in any way, as far as I know.

We've generally had very good success with singles at our table in Traditional. Last summer on the Sea Princess, we had requested a large table and had a very compatible group: two couples who had known each other for a while and were lots of fun, my daughter and myself, and two single people traveling alone, a gentleman from England and a lady from Canada.

I don't know how easy it is for them to pair you up in Anytime but I know that most of the time it's done very well in Traditional.

I was a travel agent years ago and back then the Cruise Lines would accept requests for dining to be seated with age appropriate passengers, singles, etc.

This past week we were on the Grand and the Princess had a table for 8 and a table for 4 for our group (with one seat left over) Our boys and nephew sat at the table for 4 they are 11,10,9 years old. Well a single traveller male about 60 years old walked up to the table and walked away on the first night. I'm guessing that Princess assigned him that table. The poor guy! He sat else where. It wouldn't have been a good time for him at all, watching the kids eat chicken fingers and fries almost every night.

Anytime Dining is ideal for your situation. If you prefer to dine alone, all you need to do is ask to be seated alone. If you prefer to dine with a big table, just let them know that is your preferences.

If you like the company one evening, you may want to arrange to be seated together again. If you don't...you can try another table the next evening without feeling any obligation to them.

When I cruised alone, I requested a large table in traditional dining room. Worked very well as I always had people to talk to. I don't mind dining alone for breakfast and/or lunch, but do enjoy socializing at dinner. Had a great time and you will as well.

Half the fun of cruising is meeting new people. Don't worry about the age groupings. I have met facinating people of all ages - like the man who was Frank Sinatra's personal butler, or the lady who lived next door to Joan Baez in the '60s, or the young Australian geologist. Be open to new experiences,and always say "I'd like to share a large table," when you arrive at the dining room.;)

I'm a 20-something going on my first cruise and going solo... I picked anytime dining. Is dining alone going to be difficult/awkward? How does the seating work? Can I request to be seated with other like-aged singles?Will there be other like-aged singles on a Caribbean Princess cruise?

I am boarding Grand princess for my first solo cruise this Saturday.

I got a lot of very good info about solo cruising from this web site's Solo cruise board. There's a number of threads about dining, both alone and with larger groups. Unfortunately, some report being ignored when seated by themselves.

I plan to ask for a "medium" or "large" table. I don't want to be the "lonely guy".:p

Visit the Solo board. You'll find some good tips there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

You also may have good luck meeting up with other singles on the ship, and with anytime, you can arrange to eat together. Hanging out by the pools and the pool bars (even if you don't drink much) should get you a good head start, those areas always seem to have a lot of young adults. There are other ways to meet people listed in the daily Princess Patter: dance classes, trivia classes, demonstrations come to mind. Princess ships generally attract a large range of ages -- you just have to go looking for them. But to answer your original question, there are quite a few tables for 2 in the anytime DRs, so it should be no problem to request one if that's what you choose.

To the OP, at 20 are you old enough to cruise alone? (I mean, I know you are mature enough) but I thought the cruiseline had some rule about 21 to book a cabin? I could be totally wrong here, wouldn't be the first time!

Anyway, I hope you have a great time and meet some nice folks at dinner.

I cruised for the first time several years back.. unfortunately I was not "20-something" .. lol; but...

In traditional dining I was seated with a group of 9. It was a perfect way to meet people, get introduced to others, etc. Breakfast and lunch I generally did on my own; but the dining experience was so much more fun with the larger group.

My Sept. cruise is the first time I will do anytime dining.. so I cannot speak knowledgeably there.. but definitely go for a large table to meet new people! It is so much fun.

Karen

To the OP, at 20 are you old enough to cruise alone? (I mean, I know you are mature enough) but I thought the cruiseline had some rule about 21 to book a cabin? I could be totally wrong here, wouldn't be the first time!

Anyway, I hope you have a great time and meet some nice folks at dinner.

With Princess - you need to be only 18 to cruise alone.

When I cruised solo back when I was in my 20's and 30's(the pre-anytime dining days when all was traditional), I asked to be seated at large tables. It gave me the opportunity to meet others and not feel alone...and I met some very interesting people along the way. Have fun and don't be afraid to sit with large tables of people.

I remember cruising alone in 2001 to Alaska & included a Princess Lodge stay. Not only did I enjoy cruising alone, but I enjoyed the land stay after whether I was eating solo or with others.

On the ship I had chosen a seating. I ended up eating at alternative restaurants both solo and with people I'd met quite a bit. I think--IMHO--that if you are the type of person who enjoys or doesn't mind vacationing solo, that you will have no trouble meeting a lot of people. I'm just basing that on my experience....

Whatever you choose to do dining-wise...I hope you have a GREAT time. :)

Sandi

They are really good matching people up.

While we have always been happy with our tablemates, to say they are good at matching people up is a stretch. We started cruising when we were 30-ish, and were always seated with the 65+ crowd. We had fabulous conversations, so go with an open mind...but don't assume you'll automatically be seated with similar aged folks.

By all means get to the young adult get-together at the outset of the cruise. It is usually the day of sailing, so as soon as you get to your stateroom, check the Princess Patter for time and place. You will probably find not onlyl find table mates, but people to relax with on board and enjoy shore excursions with.

Have a great cruise!!!!:D

.....with so many couples competing for the two seat tables.....it would be difficult to find a two seat table for one.......you may end up waiting longer than usual.....;)

.....if you request to be seated with other like singles......I am sure they would attempt to meet your request.

Archived